Who does home schooling?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm
On the third hand, on a free schooling market, parents choose their children's school, and a substantial minority of them think music and art are very important.

What are you talking about? People who move to certain communities because of the quality of the schools?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 11:03 pm
I read this thread for the elucidation of points of view; I have various opinions but don't really follow education issues as you two arguers do. I have to say, though, that I keep reading because of bemusement by the level of rudeness, most of it by a poster I might have agreed with when starting to read, POM, though Timber is not without caustic verve.

I'm interested in the considerations and wish the commentary weren't so loaded for bear; it isn't helpful.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 01:46 am
plainoldme wrote:
Thomas wrote:
On the third hand, on a free schooling market, parents choose their children's school, and a substantial minority of them think music and art are very important.

What are you talking about? People who move to certain communities because of the quality of the schools?

Just, very generally, people who think music and art are important for their children to learn. People have all kinds of different preferences on what their children should learn. Aside from politics, there is no reason why each school cannot have its own curriculum, each pair of parents cannot send their children to the school with their favorite curriculum, and the schooling market cannot set school sizes to whatever is the best tradeoff between economies of scale and curriculum diversity.
0 Replies