Jesus Supports Tax Cuts for the Wealthy

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:06 am
What would Jesus do with the U.S. economy?

That's a matter of fierce debate among Christians — with conservatives promoting a small-government Jesus and liberals seeing Jesus as an advocate for the poor.

After the House passed its budget last month, liberal religious leaders said the Republican plan, which lowered taxes and cut services to the poor, was an affront to the Gospel — and particularly Jesus' command to care for the poor.

Not so, says Wisconsin Republican Rep. Paul Ryan, who chairs the House Budget Committee. He told Christian Broadcasting Network last week that it was his Catholic faith that helped shape the budget plan. In his view, the Catholic principle of subsidiarity suggests the government should have little role in helping the poor.

"Through our civic organizations, through our churches, through our charities — through all of our different groups where we interact with people as a community — that's how we advance the common good," Ryan said.

The best thing that government can do, he said, is get out of the way.

The rest of the story...

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
@joefromchicago,
Yup. Because the wealthy got that way by giving away all their money.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
I believe that the bible talks about the importance of taking care of the widows and orphans.

It also says 'render what is Caesar's' so paying taxes was acknowledged.

Jesus had problems with the money lenders, (cheats, gougers, etc) throwing them out of the market place and upsetting the tables.

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
"[Paul Ryan] told Christian Broadcasting Network last week that it was his Catholic faith that helped shape the budget plan."

Really?

Here's what a prominent Catholic once said:

"The dignity of the individual and the demands of justice require, particularly today, that economic choices do not cause disparities in wealth to increase in an excessive and morally unacceptable manner, and that we continue to prioritize the goal of access to steady employment for everyone."

"Lowering the level of protection accorded to the rights of workers, or abandoning mechanisms of wealth redistribution in order to increase the country's international competitiveness, hinder the achievement of lasting development."

"Perhaps at one time it was conceivable that first the creation of wealth could be entrusted to the economy, and then the task of distributing it could be assigned to politics. Today that would be more difficult, given that economic activity is no longer circumscribed within territorial limits, while the authority of governments continues to be principally local. Hence the canons of justice must be respected from the outset, as the economic process unfolds, and not just afterwards or incidentally. "
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@joefromchicago,
For a person of Catholic faith, the Vatican's webside really give some fodder ... like Joe's quotation above or this one, from the Pontifical Acadamy of Social Sciences:
Quote:
[...]When we examine the principles of solidarity and subsidiarity in the
light of the Gospel, we realize that they are not simply ‘horizontal’: they
both have an essentially vertical dimension. Jesus commands us to do unto
others as we would have them do unto us (cf. Lk 6:31); to love our neighbour
as ourselves (cf. Mat 22:35). These laws are inscribed by the Creator
in man’s very nature (cf. Deus Caritas Est, 31). Jesus teaches that this love
calls us to lay down our lives for the good of others (cf. Jn 15:12-13). In this
sense, true solidarity – though it begins with an acknowledgment of the
equal worth of the other – comes to fulfilment only when I willingly place
my life at the service of the other (cf. Eph 6:21). Herein lies the ‘vertical’
dimension of solidarity: I am moved to make myself less than the other so
as to minister to his or her needs (cf. Jn 13:14-15), just as Jesus ‘humbled
himself’ so as to give men and women a share in his divine life with the
Father and the Spirit (cf. Phil 2:8; Mat 23:12).
Similarly, subsidiarity – insofar as it encourages men and women to
enter freely into life-giving relationships with those to whom they are most
closely connected and upon whom they most immediately depend, and
demands of higher authorities respect for these relationships – manifests a
‘vertical’ dimension pointing towards the Creator of the social order (cf.
Rom 12:16, 18). A society that honours the principle of subsidiarity liberates
people from a sense of despondency and hopelessness, granting themthe freedom to engage with one another in the spheres of commerce, politics
and culture (cf. Quadragesimo Anno, 80). When those responsible for
the public good attune themselves to the natural human desire for self-governance
based on subsidiarity, they leave space for individual responsibility
and initiative, but most importantly, they leave space for love (cf. Rom
13:8; Deus Caritas Est, 28), which always remains ‘the most excellent way’
(cf. 1 Cor 12:31).[...]
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
"[Paul Ryan] told Christian Broadcasting Network last week that it was his Catholic faith that helped shape the budget plan."

Really?

That surprises me as well. When it comes to the socially-optimal tradeoff between equity and efficiency, Catholic Social Teaching has been Rawlesian-liberal since before Rawls was even born. Its goal is to maximize the welfare of society's weakest members. I see no support there for Ryan's tax-cutting and Medicare-voucherizing.

I guess this just goes to show how little Paul Ryan, and the party that made him chairman of the House Budget committee, care about facts. Next up: Paul Ryan proclaims that his Catholic faith made him champion capital punishment!
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:46 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Next up: Paul Ryan proclaims that his Catholic faith made him champion capital punishment!

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
Bankers.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:01 pm
“Jesus wants us all to be rich. The Pope gets it. Have you even seen his ceiling?”
-- Samantha Bee on The Daily Show
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:54 am
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is criticizing the House Republican budget authored by Rep. Paul Ryan for cutting food stamps and other assistance programs for the poor.

In a letter sent to the House Agriculture Committee on Monday, the bishops say the budget fails to meet certain “moral criteria” by disproportionately cutting programs that “serve poor and vulnerable people.”

A second letter sent Tuesday to the Ways and Means Committee criticizes a provision that makes it more difficult for illegal immigrants to claim child tax credits. The bishops called the credit “one of the most effective antipoverty programs in our nation.”

The letters follow Ryan’s (R-Wis.) comments last week that his Catholic faith shaped the budget he authored. He also argued the budget is consistent with Catholic teachings.

more

I'm glad to see this. I considered the bishops' recent attacks on the Obama administration over regulations requiring Catholic hospitals' insurance plans to include contraception coverage as being blatantly partisan (aside from being completely contrived), given that the Republicans were blithely trampling over Catholic doctrines regarding social welfare without so much as a vigorous finger-wagging from the bishops' conference. It's good to see that the bishops have finally realized that the Catholic church has taken a stance on a number of social and economic issues, not just on abortion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:46 pm
Quote:
Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., argued on Thursday that his Catholic faith guided the budget he authored for the Republican Party, addressing criticism from Catholics who charge his budget unfairly targets the poor at the expense of the rich.
[...]
"In short, your budget appears to reflect the values of your favorite philosopher, Ayn Rand, rather than the Gospel of Jesus Christ," the letter [which was sent to him by 90 priests and faculty members of Georgetown University] read. "Her call to selfishness and her antagonism toward religion are antithetical to the Gospel values of compassion and love."
[...]
In his speech at Georgetown, Ryan defended the key points of his budget and argued that his personal thinking has been guided by the Catholic principles of "solidarity" and "subsidiarity." The latter principle emphasizes the importance of placing the duties of governing at a local level.

"Our budget offers a better path, consistent with the timeless principles of our nation's founding and, frankly, consistent with how I understand my Catholic faith," Ryan said. "We put our trust in people, not in government. Our budget incorporates subsidiarity by returning power to individuals, to families, and to communities."

The Georgetown priests and faculty, however, rejected this idea, arguing Ryan was "profoundly misreading Church teaching." Subsidiarity, they said, calls for solutions to be enacted at a community level when possible but also requires that the government step in when communities and local governments "face problems beyond their means to address such as economic crises, high unemployment, endemic poverty and hunger."
[...]
Source
0 Replies