Can you use "presentations" here?

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:48 am

(1) The symptoms of the disease include nausea, stomachache and headache.

=========>>>
(2) The presentations of the disease include nausea, stomachache and headache.

Is the second sentence okay?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 870 • Replies: 3
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:51 am
@oristarA,
notmuchly
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:30 am
I am not a doctor, but a quick perusal of medical terminology web resources has told me that presentations of a disease or condition can be symptoms or signs. A symptom is any subjective evidence of disease. In contrast, a sign is objective. So it seems that symptoms are a subset of presentations. Blood coming out a nostril, or gross blood in the stool are signs; they are apparent to the patient, physician, and others. Anxiety, low back pain, and fatigue are all symptoms; only the patient can perceive them. Thus, in the sentence quoted, nausea, stomachache and headache are experienced by the patient (not the doctor) and are thus symptoms. I imagine the symptom of nausea might be associated with the sign of vomiting. Thus I might write "The presentations of the disease include symptoms such as nausea, stomachache and headache."

oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 03:03 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I am not a doctor, but a quick perusal of medical terminology web resources has told me that presentations of a disease or condition can be symptoms or signs. A symptom is any subjective evidence of disease. In contrast, a sign is objective. So it seems that symptoms are a subset of presentations. Blood coming out a nostril, or gross blood in the stool are signs; they are apparent to the patient, physician, and others. Anxiety, low back pain, and fatigue are all symptoms; only the patient can perceive them. Thus, in the sentence quoted, nausea, stomachache and headache are experienced by the patient (not the doctor) and are thus symptoms. I imagine the symptom of nausea might be associated with the sign of vomiting. Thus I might write "The presentations of the disease include symptoms such as nausea, stomachache and headache."

Excellent!
Thank you Contrex.
0 Replies