Why is this world rasict?!

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:42 pm
Why is this world so rasict? It sadden me to the point of no return. I wish there was none, but wishes are ment to be let down
Im a unique race, mixed; i get so many racial slurrs, the most reason one is mutt, oreo, white girl, nigger. Im half white, half black. People sicken me im either suppose to '' act black or " or act white. Why cant i act like myself? I dont know if i can live like this any more, its bringing me down so much. I cant stand it anymore. I dont know what to do.

View best answer, chosen by minnesotagirlhere
Ceili

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:58 pm
@minnesotagirlhere,
I'm sorry things are so tough. Sometimes people suck, but you have to believe me when I tell you that not every place is like this and neither are all people. Part of life is knowing you are going to have to contend with idiots, sadly they do not go away with age or distance. So the best revenge is living a good life. Do the things you love, follow your heart and don't worry about the ignorant things people do and say. The only thing you can control is your choices, make the right ones and trust me, you'll have a great life.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 10:42 pm
@minnesotagirlhere,
The world isn't but a lot of people in it are. Others just use race as an excuse for being assholes. You can act like yourself. Please do. Screw them.

I thought the last guy in this clip summed it up well (it's worth sticking with)

http://www.wimp.com/awesomeman/

0 Replies

aidan
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:05 pm
@minnesotagirlhere,
How old are you?

I ask because I just wonder if part of the reason you're feeling so different and isolated in your particular situation is because you live in Minnesota (I'm assuming from your user name) which is probably not the most racially diverse place. Maybe when you can move somewhere more racially diverse and accepting of differences, you will get less static from both sides of the fence of the racial divide.

I am white- I married a black man and I have two interracial children (I don't call them 'mixed'- but it's okay if you do).
When I was married without children, my husband and I lived in North Carolina and we lived next to this cute little white boy named Trevor who lived with his grandparents. I don't know what happened to his parents. I've always loved children (am a teacher) and so he and I used to hang out and climb trees and ride bikes and stuff because his grandparents were too old to play with him and there weren't any other kids around.
One day he said to me, 'You know Rebecca - my grandpa said that any kids you have will be 'niggers'.
I almost choked. He said this in all innocence- just repeating what his grandpa had told him. He had no idea of how much what he had said hurt me.

So then we moved up to Philadelphia and I got pregnant with my son. I worked in New Jersey, across the bridge from Philly, so my colleagues hadn't met my husband and I didn't go into my job announcing, 'By the way - watch what you say in front of me, I'm married to a black man,' so people just assumed I guess that my husband was white and my baby would be white.

You wouldn't believe the **** I heard - I felt like a spy or double agent- because I was white they assumed they could say all sorts of racist things in front of me that they'd not say if black people were there.
It got to the point that I felt sort of guilty for bringing a child into such a situation. I mean, I was an adult when I made the decision to enter an interracial relationship, but my child didn't have any choice. I had thrust this situation upon him, and I just felt so guilty and sad that I had had no real idea what I was doing, to the point that I decided to adopt the next child - and we did. We adopted an interracial girl.

So the moral of this story for me is that it really does matter where you live and what kind of people you live around.
Growing up, I was not exposed to racist people very much. Two of my neighbors were black families - I went to an integrated school in an integrated town and I never heard anything that led me to be racist in my family or among my friends to the point that when I married a black guy - I thought - 'So what?' What's the difference - you know 'red and yellow black and white and all that stuff.

I was shocked by it when I heard it as an adult. To the point where I didn't want to create another child who'd have to deal with that **** and instead I wanted to take care of one who was already here- so I adopted instead of getting pregnant again.

And then we just made sure we lived in places where people were tolerant, educated and enlightened and kind.
And from Maine to North Carolina to England, we've been lucky.

There's only one place we lived where both of my kids felt singled out and different and we moved from there after a year. My daughter got called 'mutt' too. My son was working at McDonald's and going to college and he dealt with racism there too.
So I hurt for you and I hope you do realize that there are places you can go and people you can be among who won't look at you as lesser.

Just keep believing in yourself and you'll find that place and those people.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:21 pm
@minnesotagirlhere,
It is true that where you live matters. I grew up in New Hampshire, there were two people in my high school that weren't a ghastly paper white. It was difficult to grow up in this environment when everyone else looks eerily alike. It is easier if you live in a racially diverse area.

You can certainly find lots of support on the Internet. There are many of us who are part of interracial families and fortunately interracial families are becoming more common and more accepted.

I wonder if there are support groups in your area. Have you looked around for organizations that might be more diverse? Have you shared your feelings with a school counselor?

Hang in there. It does get better.
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:33 am
@minnesotagirlhere,
All skin is colorless as well as all objects within the physical realm of this existence, this is due to the fact that the human brain generates what we call "color" from the wavelengths of radiation reflected off of materials such as skin. Hence just as how vibrations through the air captured by an ear drum is converted into electrical impulses and sent to the brain and the brain then creates what we call "sound", it is the same for the process of reflected radiation, it is captured through the eye's and converted into a electrical impulse and sent to the brain for the brain to generate a image. Therefore skin is not black or white or any color or hue in between...

It is what it is, that is what I say it is, therefore I made it what it is...

And when the child repeatedly asked father "why", father always replied, "because I say so".

Did you hear, the one is blind, but the one still knows what you are, for in it's perfect court, you are judged by your actions, intents, and neglects thereof, for that is all you are in truth, the rest is but the vessel of the lie that is all of mankind.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:15 am
fear of the unknown/unfamiliar
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:20 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Just keep believing in yourself and you'll find that place and those people.

Well said pet. You're spot on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 09:28 am
@aidan,
Yep, I grew up in Minnesota and even though I went to schools that were racially diverse, always felt like an outsider/minority because I have dark brown hair and eyes and olive-toned skin, and there are so many blue-eyed pale-skinned light-haired people in Minnesota! When I moved to L.A. I was startled the first time I was called "white" -- I am of course, but in a Minnesota context didn't really feel like I was.

Also depends on where in Minnesota you live.

Very different in other places. Columbus OH, where I live now, is pretty good that way.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:55 am
@minnesotagirlhere,
minnesotagirlhere wrote:

Why is this world so rasict? It sadden me to the point of no return. I wish there was none, but wishes are ment to be let down
Im a unique race, mixed; i get so many racial slurrs, the most reason one is mutt, oreo, white girl, nigger. Im half white, half black. People sicken me im either suppose to '' act black or " or act white. Why cant i act like myself? I dont know if i can live like this any more, its bringing me down so much. I cant stand it anymore. I dont know what to do.

In my opinion, it might help if you became an expert at something.

For boys that are athletic, that is the only thing that counts oftentimes.

As a girl, it might be not as easy.

So, become an expert at something. Join a group for that expertise. People like knowing experts. Not a rocket scientist; possibly something as mundane as knitting or whatever.

Just my opinion, in the way of advice.
0 Replies

minnesotagirlhere

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:25 pm
@aidan,
After reading you comment, it did made me feel better. I thought it was inspiring. Its good to know there still some good people in the world, definetly one of them. Im turning 18 in a few weeks, so i was thinking of going out of state for college, and getting out of college i just donr want to leave my mom behind.Mabey south dokato; i think its diverse. Actually my grandma from my moms side use to be rasict, she use to say dont play with those black kids when i was littler. But i think her mindset change a little. But not my grampa at all. Thanks, i really want to be accepted, but knowing there will be some people willing to accept me in the future makes everything ok. I wanna be around more biracial people though. I also seeinfg more interracial couples, it does make me happier to know though.
aidan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:29 am
@minnesotagirlhere,
I'm glad you're feeling better. South Dakota is a beautiful state - funny, I never really thought of it as somewhere I'd like to go and we just travelled through it on our way out west to Yosemite and tuns out I was blown away by how beautiful it is, and when I think of my favorite states (in terms of scenic beauty) South Dakota is in my top five.
If you do go there, I hope you find happiness.

My grandmother was very racist too - but we didn't grow up around her- she lived 2,000 miles away in Texas and we lived in New Jersey, which was very diverse. My pediatrician when I was a little girl wore a turban!
So for me, diversity was the norm and I really loved it. Whenever I was in a situation where it was only white people, that's when I felt out of place and uncomfortable.
So although I went to a college where the population was predominantly white, western North Carolina in the blue ridge mountains, I chose a school that had a large number of international students - mostly from Africa, India and South America.
Again, I felt that I fit right in when I was on campus, but whenever I went into town, I felt something was missing - I only saw white people.
So although I loved it there, when I had my own kids, I thought, 'No - I don't want to take them there to live.'
But then funnily enough, my husband (who is black) wanted to move to Maine, which is one of the whitest states in the nation! This was after my son was born. I was pretty adamantly against it, but he prevailed and we did and it was a WONDERFUL experience. People were SO accepting of our family there.
Maybe because Mainers are a whole different, sort of tough and rough and ready breed of people themselves. You have got to be tough to make it through a Maine winter. Anyway - it was good - but my son said the same thing you just said - that he wished he had some 'brown' friends.

So then we moved to North Carolina where he had lots of brown friends and now we live in England, where he doesn't have very many brown friends at all again, but he's older and the white friends he does have are very accepting of him.

So you just have to be willing to experiment I think.
I know, it's a shame isn't it? You should be able to go anywhere and find acceptance, but that's not the case yet.
Although believe me when I say that there ARE places you can go and people you will meet where your race just isn't the focal issue- and where you feel more than tolerated and accepted - you feel embraced because of who you are and your differences aren't negatives - they're interesting positives that tell a story about who you are and where you come from.

In terms of seeing interracial couples, I remember seeing quite a few in Washington DC. In fact, I remember seeing an interracial couple for the first time on the steps of the Smithsonian when my parents took us on a camping trip down there when I was about ten. I can still remember that it made me feel happy - probably because that was just around the time that Martin Luther King had been assassinated and I was just learning about all the civil rights strife and I thought, 'Oh - that's what Martin Luther King's dream was about!'
It struck a chord with me.

Good luck to you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 02:26 am
Here's something a friend of mine posted on facebook because he knows this young man, and while this story isn't about racism - it IS about being and feeling 'different' and overcoming that and not allowing it to define your life and who you become.

The reason I think this fits here is because it illustrates the point about how much impact a supportive environment and people can have on a person. I can't overstate that and this video illustrates it.

You can be anything you set your mind to - don't let anyone hold you back or tell you differently- and if you're around people who try to hold you back - go somewhere else as soon as you can. There ARE good places and people in this world.

0 Replies