Is it possible for a person to have no beliefs at all?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
jeeeesus the post I send you to re read is the very same you comment on it was EDITED ! damn !!!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:59 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Good for you! Are you happy now?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
??? Rolling Eyes
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:04 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You never learn; I don't go backwards on posts - whether it's one or one thousand.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz, thank you for your guess about gods as most people understand them.

You do realize that was not the question?

The question was: Is it possible for gods to exist...or is it impossible?

And so that you have a bit more to work with...I will define the "god" in my question to be more than what "most people understand about them"...and allow it to include gods as something so complex and beyond human understanding as to be as difficult to appreciate cognitively as elements of quantum physics might be for an amoeba to appreciate.

Is it possible for such a god to exist...or is it impossible?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
It is possible that such a concept has relevance in reality, but why do you want to call it god?
And can we say that it exists?
We might say that the universe is "so complex and beyond human understanding as to be as difficult to appreciate cognitively as elements of quantum physics might be for an amoeba to appreciate", and some do refer to the idea of the universe, all of existence thought of as one singularity, as god.

But then "god" is our level of understanding. "God" defines us then. Our expression of what the supreme state of being might be is limited to what we can perceive and express. Beyond physical objects that occupy physical space, when we are talking about abstract ideas and concepts, does the distinction existence/non-existence really reveal anything useful?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:46 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
It is possible that such a concept has relevance in reality, but why do you want to call it god?

A better question might be: Why not?

Quote:
And can we say that it exists?

I do not know...and I am not asking if it exists. I am asking if it is possible that it exists...or if it is impossible.

Quote:
We might say that the universe is "so complex and beyond human understanding as to be as difficult to appreciate cognitively as elements of quantum physics might be for an amoeba to appreciate", and some do refer to the idea of the universe, all of existence thought of as one singularity, as god.

But then "god" is our level of understanding. "God" defines us then. Our expression of what the supreme state of being might be is limited to what we can perceive and express. Beyond physical objects that occupy physical space, when we are talking about abstract ideas and concepts, does the distinction existence/non-existence really reveal anything useful?

Is it possible for gods to exist...or is the existence of gods an impossibility, Cyracuz?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, Give it up! You're trying to get an answer for a question that cannot be answered. That's the reason why humans believe in so many gods. If the answer was obvious, humans wouldn't have created so many gods. That "is" the answer.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Is it possible for gods to exist...or is the existence of gods an impossibility, Cyracuz?

I do not know how to answer. From my perspective this is a strange question?

Does a river exist? What's it made of? Water?
No. It's made of sand, stone, mud and rock, which makes a path the water flows through.
What's the water then? It's the river, and it made the path.
Does the river exist?

It's a similar scenario. With "god" we compile a concept from a whole bunch of other concepts, but the result is not so clearly useful as the concept "river". Because the concept is partly defined to be incomprehensible, it is predetermined that anything we say about it is either false or nonsense.
What use does an intelligent person have for such a concept? Surprisingly, it does require some insight to realize that we encounter our own limitations long before we uncover anything true about anything.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:42 pm
@Cyracuz,
Ahhh...so much fun asking about Flying Spaghetti monsters and elves and fairies.

But a simply question like, "Is it possible for gods to exist...or is the existence of gods impossible?" causes such consternation.

My, my!

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Frank, Give it up! You're trying to get an answer for a question that cannot be answered. That's the reason why humans believe in so many gods. If the answer was obvious, humans wouldn't have created so many gods. That "is" the answer.

ci...I have no trouble at all answering the question. My guess is...you can answer it also. It is by no means a question that cannot be answered...although I will allow that it is a question that the atheists here seem unwilling to tackle.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am also entertained.

The question is a grammar puzzle. Language is the only thing that ties the concepts together.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 02:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We have "tackled" it; you just won't accept it.

If you believe you have answered it, you have not.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 02:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
The question is a grammar puzzle. Language is the only thing that ties the concepts together.

There is no grammar puzzle here, Cyracuz. There is a question that causes atheists some discomfort.

Is it possible for gods to exist...or is it impossible for gods to exist?

Okay, it is only fair that I give you a hint:

Yes, of course it is possible that gods exist. It is absurd to assert that the existence of gods is an impossibility.

And of course, most of the atheists here in A2K are of the variety that says, "I simply do not believe in any gods"...not the kind who say, "There are no gods"...so I cannot help but wonder why everyone is having so much trouble with the question.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We have "tackled" it; you just won't accept it.

No, ci., you have not "tackled" it. You have evaded and avoided it.

But if you want to give it another try:

Is it possible that gods exist...or is it impossible that gods exist?

Quote:
If you believe you have answered it, you have not.

Well, you know I do not do "believing." I am asserting that I know the answer. If you are asserting that I do not, I'd love to hear your reasoning.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Prove to me how I "evaded" your question?

Nothing can exist without some proof for its existence. That's human reality.

Saying "I don't know if the flying monsters exists" is an endless, useless, statement. There is no basis in reality.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Prove to me how I "evaded" your question?

Why don't you link me to your answer.

Quote:
Nothing can exist without some proof for its existence. That's human reality.

Really!

So...no unicorns exist anywhere in the universe?

That actually makes sense to you?

Quote:
Saying "I don't know if the flying monsters exists" is an endless, useless, statement. There is no basis in reality.

I did not say that...and I have pointed out that I did not say that. Try to keep up, ci.
fresco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What you will never get Frank is that "God" DOES "exist" for theists and DOES NOT "exist" for atheists, and that is all that matters, and all that can be said.

You will never get it Frank because your image of "yourself" is co-existent/co-dependent with your concept of "agnosticism". Giving up agnosticism for you would be committing intellectual and social suicide. The irony is that only "finding God" might change you (allow you to be re-born), but never atheists like us !
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:36 pm
@fresco,
amen Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 03:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Quote:

You replied,
I did not say that...and I have pointed out that I did not say that. Try to keep up, ci.

What you don't "get" is that god and the flying monster is the same concept.