The Diary of G. W. Bush 1972-1973

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:08 pm
My potential thermo-nuclear holocaust is bigger than your potential thermo-nuclear holocaust . . . so there . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:17 pm
"Ah'm the prez'dent, an' I'm a Krischin, an' Ah'm saved! Y'all are gonna be left behind!"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:55 pm
did anybody listen to his Meet th Press today? Did he leave any memorable droppings?
I
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:48 pm
I don't listen to or watch anything he does/says. I read about it later. I know it'd just put me in a tizzy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:59 am
If you don't believe me ask my daddy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:37 am
apparently a non-issue. the Boston Globe has recovered some records of his meeting attendance and he was there for the minimum amt of time to account for retirement benefits etc.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:32 am
Bush plays it cute
on his Guard duty

During the Vietnam War, I was what filmmaker Michael Moore would call a "deserter." Along with President Bush and countless other young men, I joined the National Guard, did my six months of active duty and then returned to my home unit, where I eventually dropped from sight. In the end, just like President Bush, I got an honorable discharge. But unlike Bush, I have just told the truth about my service and he hasn't.
At least, I don't think so. Bush insists he was where he was supposed to be - "Otherwise I wouldn't have been honorably discharged," Bush told Tim Russert. Please, sir, don't make me laugh.

It is sort of amazing that every four or eight years, Vietnam - that long-ago war - rears up from seemingly nowhere and comes to figure in the national political debate. The reason this time is that Bush is likely to compete against a genuine war hero. John Kerry did not duck the war.

But Bush did. He did so by joining the National Guard. Bush now wants to drape the Vietnam-era Guard with the bloodied flag of today's Iraq-serving Guard, but back then, the Guard was where you went if you did not want to fight. That was the case with me. I opposed the war in Vietnam and had no desire to fight it. Bush, on the other hand, says he supported the war - as long, it seems, as someone else fought it.

It hardly matters what Bush did or did not do back then. All that really matters is how one accounts for what one did. Do you tell the truth (which Bill Clinton did not)? Or do you do what I think Bush has been doing, which is making his National Guard service into something it was not? In his case, it was a rich kid's way around the draft.

In my case, it was something similar - although (darn!) I was not rich. I was, though, lucky enough to get into a National Guard unit a day before I was drafted. I did my training (combat engineer) and returned to my unit. I was supposed to attend weekly drills and summer camp but I found them inconvenient. I "moved" to California and then "moved" back to New York, establishing a confusing paper trail that led, really, nowhere. For two years or so, I played a perfectly legal form of hooky. To show you what a mess the Guard was at the time, I even got paid for all the meetings I missed.

In the end, I wound up in the Army Reserves. In some units, we sat around with nothing to do, and in one, we took turns delivering antiwar lectures. The National Guard and the reserves were something of a joke. Everyone knew it. Maybe things dramatically changed by 1972, two years after I got my discharge, but I doubt it.

I have no shame about my service, but I know it for what it was.

When Bush attempts to drape the flag of today's Guard over the one he was in so long ago, though, when he warns his critics to remember that "there are a lot of really fine people who have served in the National Guard and who are serving in the National Guard today in Iraq," then he is doing now what he was doing then: hiding behind the ones who were really doing the fighting. It's about time he grew up.

Originally published on February 9, 2004 From NY daily news
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:41 am
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:51 pm
Bush guard credits leaves time fram questions
Bush credited for Guard drills
But time frame leaves questions
By Walter V. Robinson, Boston Globe Staff, 2/10/2004

President Bush received credit for attending Air National Guard drills in the fall of 1972 and spring of 1973 -- a period when his commanders have said he did not appear for duty at bases in Montgomery, Ala., and Houston -- according to two new documents obtained by the Globe.

The personnel records, covering Bush's Guard service between May 1972 and May 1973, constitute the first evidence that Bush appeared for any duty during the first 11 months of that 12-month period. Bush is recorded as having served the minimum number of days expected of Guard members in that 12 months of service time.

One of the documents lists nine service periods of 2 to 3 days each and records the points Bush earned toward his service retirement benefit. The other is a summary of his service in the 12 months beginning May 1972, and lists the same number of service points earned.

Dan Bartlett, the White House communications director, said last night that the listing of service dates, which the White House intends to make public today, documents Bush's longstanding assertion that he fulfilled his military obligation.

But the documents seem unlikely to resolve questions about whether Bush shirked his duty during his tour as a fighter-interceptor pilot for the Texas Air Guard during the Vietnam War. That is because some of the dates on the service list fell during a period in the fall of 1972 when Bush was reassigned to a guard unit in Alabama. The commander of the Alabama unit has said Bush did not appear for duty at his assigned unit there.

Bartlett said the Guard drills Bush is listed as attending in January and April 1973 were probably conducted at Bush's home base in Houston. But on May 2, 1973, Bush's two commanders at Ellington Air Force Base wrote that they could not evaluate his performance for the prior 12 months because he had not been there. Two other Bush superiors said in interviews four years ago that they do not believe Bush ever returned to his Houston base from Alabama.

The Globe obtained both of the documents from a political activist who says he acquired them in December 2000 from the Air Reserve Personnel Center in Colorado. The activist, Bob Fertig, is a cofounder of Democrats.com, a website that has no formal affiliation with the Democratic Party.

The document that Bartlett has and plans to release is a short list of retirement points earned by Bush for training days in October and November 1972 and in January, April, and May 1973.

A partial, torn copy of that document was made available to the news media by Bush aides in 2000, when questions about his Guard service were raised. The torn copy listed the number of training days, but showed neither service dates nor Bush's name -- both were in the torn-away portion. But Bush's Social Security number was visible on one copy obtained by the Globe.

No explanation has been offered for how the document was torn or why an undamaged copy was not available in 2000.

The second document, which Bartlett said the White House had not yet obtained, is Bush's personnel record card for the period of May 27, 1972, to May 26, 1973. As is the case with Guard members, Bush, the card shows, was generally given 2 points for each day of weekend training.

But this card, unlike those for the other years of Bush's service, does not itemize Bush's individual day of service; it gives only a total. The personnel record card also indicates that Bush was on flying status, even though he never flew for his unit after April 1972.

Bush, in an interview Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," insisted that he had attended Guard drills during the 12 months beginning May 1972. The president also said that during the 2000 campaign, the Colorado record facility had been "scoured" to ensure that everything had been made public.

And Bush agreed to make public all of his military records. Asked last night whether the White House would authorize the Colorado records facility to make public all of Bush's records, Bartlett said any that are germane would be made public after being reviewed by the White House. On this issue, Bartlett said, the practice has been to release every document.

Bartlett said he could not explain why Fertig's group had access to more documents than the White House.

Fertig called for an independent investigation. Noting that the new documents are contradicted by other public documents, and statements by Bush's Guard superiors, Fertig said the public has a right to know whether Bush received credit for duty he did not perform.

Bush's Guard service began in earnest after he graduated from flight school in November 1969. He then returned to Ellington for six months of training in the F-102 fighter-interceptor, and then from June 1970 until April 1972, he flew frequently.

But the following month, he won permission to move to Alabama for several months to work on the US Senate campaign of Winton Blount, a Republican. In Montgomery, Bush was supposed to do periodic drills with another Guard unit. But its commander has said Bush never appeared. Bush has said he did, but does not recall what duties he performed.

In September 1972, Bush was removed from flight duty for failing to have his annual physical.

According to the two documents, Bush accumulated 41 service points by appearing for duty on 24 days between May 1972 and May 1973. He received 15 "gratuitous" points for being in the military, for a total of 56 points. Retired Lieutenant Colonel Albert. C. Lloyd Jr., a former personnel director for the Texas Air Guard, said in an interview last night that the minimum number of points required for any year was 50, although most Guardsmen logged substantially more.

"The document shows he satisfactorily completed his military obligation for that year," Lloyd said.

Bush's record of days served ran from May to May each year because he entered the Air National Guard in May 1968, just after graduating from Yale.

Other records, which were disclosed four years ago, show that Bush was ordered to appear for a flurry of duty days in May, June, and July 1973 -- orders that Lloyd said in 2000 may have been issued because Bush's commanders realized he had not been fulfilling his requirements. The records obtained yesterday indicate that Bush would not have made his minimum for that year but for seven days of duty in May 1973.

His final duty day was on July 30, 1973, even though he signed a commitment to fly for the unit until November 1974. Bush was granted an "early out" -- not uncommon as the Vietnam War was winding down -- to attend Harvard Business School.

Michael Rezendes and Sacha Pfeiffer of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:02 pm
The "early out" which was common in the Vietnam era was five months for anyone who had completed a minimum of 19 months of active service. That's a load of crap, another example of the Shrub's weasel character.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:40 pm
Okay, thanks for the pay stubs which don't prove anything. Let's see that diary for 1972 and 1973, let's see the MEDICAL records including the one where the 2nd Lt Bush didn't pass his flight physical. Meanwhile out on the Mekong, Lt Kerry is pulling one of his men out of the drink while tending to his own wounds...........

--==

Someone, maybe MCgentrix, tried to tie Kerry to Jane Fonda today.. Good .... let's do that. Let's talk out loud about each man's experince of war and see which one embodies the American idea of serving one's country. Yeah.... let's compare war records and post war records....''''
let's.do that.........

Laughing Joe
0 Replies