Armand M. Nicholi, M.D., Jr.? Should it be "Armand M. Nicholi. Jr, M.D.?

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 11:41 pm
except that going by the bulk of other words similarly spelled they woulde not be pronounced the same as the words the rest of the world spells would, should, and could, but like cud, what a cow chews, and the other would rhyme with that, wud would not be pronounced lkike that other word that's pronounced like wood. Your system adds another layer of non-systematicness to the language. And it is NOT phonetic, since you don't know phonetics and English has something approaching a dozen and a half more phonemes than we have letter, in total contradistinction to Spanish, which is very close to having one phoneme per letter. Until you actually address the specific structure of English, David, you're going to keep on producing a half-assed non-system that is no improvement on the one we have now
McTag

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 01:00 am
@MontereyJack,

Quote:
a half-assed non-system that is no improvement on the one we have now

I disagree.

That should be "a half-assed non-system which is considerably worse than what we have now, marked by its extreme ugliness and unhandiness, and an insult to the meanest intelligence".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 02:00 am
McT, I bow to y0ur superior wisdom.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 04:27 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
except that going by the bulk of other words similarly spelled they woulde not be pronounced the same as the words the rest of the world spells would, should, and could, but like cud, what a cow chews, and the other would rhyme with that, wud would not be pronounced lkike that other word that's pronounced like wood. Your system adds another layer of non-systematicness to the language. And it is NOT phonetic, since you don't know phonetics and English has something approaching a dozen and a half more phonemes than we have letter, in total contradistinction to Spanish, which is very close to having one phoneme per letter. Until you actually address the specific structure of English, David, you're going to keep on producing a half-assed non-system that is no improvement on the one we have now
TRUE that it is not a system.
As I 've posted quite a few times, I 'll leave that to professional
lexicografers who write a fonetic dictionary.
My chosen function is to show easier, faster and less ridiculous ways of spelling.
I 'm (figuratively) sanding down n smoothing out the ruffest edges.

In the 1960s, thay used to say: "if u r not part of the solution,
u r part of the problem." I am guilty of spelling the rong way,
paradigmatically, most of my life. I was complicit
in perpetuating the anti-logical inefficiency.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 07:59 am
Gods save us from self-appointed messiahs.
JTT

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 11:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
When it comes to language, Om, you've shown yourself to be sorrily lacking in anything approaching logic.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 01:45 pm
David's point is that language is hardly ever logical.
Change in language is almost always irritating to anyone not participating in the change.

What he misses is that changes in language are rarely brought about by any single individual unless, in the case of English, his last name is Chaucer, Shakespeare or Dickens.

Joe(no American names yet, <sigh>)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 02:15 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Gods save us from self-appointed messiahs.
U old stick-in-the-mud conservative!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 02:40 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
David's point is that language is hardly ever logical.

I think David has made the point that language is highly logical, save for those few occasions where he can't explain it.

Quote:
Change in language is almost always irritating to anyone not participating in the change.

Change in language is irritating to those who read some sage advice about how language is being abused, who then hop on the bandwagon. The Pet Peeves thread was full of them, Joe.

The rest just go on with language, hardly noticing the bumps.
0 Replies