Could you please correct my composition? Thank you

james8

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
28th of September of 2011
Barcelona, Spain

Embassy of the USA
Barcelona Spain

Dear Sir o Madam
I am planning to take a two years postgraduate program in the USA about Economics and I would like you give some indications about the requirements. I shall be arrived in Los Angeles on 6th of June and since this day I would like to stay in a residence.
As far as I know, I have to bring with myself a lot of certified papers but I don’t know really what they are. I should be extremely grateful if you send me some information about these documents.
In addition, I enquiry weather you could send me some brochures of what are the best universities in Los Angeles as well as their cost. Furthermore, I would need a list of the universities which gives courses in Spanish.
In this two years-period, I would really like to visit other cities of USA so that I would really pleased to let me have information of weekend visits to others beautiful places such as New York and Boston.

Thanking you in anticipation

Yours faithfully

James
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:18 pm
@james8,
I think that you might need to understand about the roles of an embassy.

Be aware your request for much of the info from the US Embassy perhaps is not the best source. An embassy can best advise you on issues of documentation such as passport, visa, permissions, etc. Most likely they will not be able to tell you requirements for a degree program. The rest of the request for info would be your own research on the web, which is available through Google or online websites for universities such as USC, UCLA.

Be aware that almost any university graduate school will have Spanish courses; however, are you actually looking for courses in Business or Economics TAUGHT in the Spanish language? If so, you'll need to research that yourself on a particular university's website or ask the university.

Here's a website the discusses some post-grad Economics and Business degree progams in Los Angeles area:
http://www.learn4good.com/colleges/los_angeles_county_degree_programs.htm

Here's the USA Embassy's webpage in Spain:
http://madrid.usembassy.gov/

Furthermore, here's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in Spanish:
https://spain-es.cms.getusinfo.com/es/irc/faq.html

Travel agencies can advise you best about travel trips when you travel in USA, though I'd imagine they could have some brochures, too. Perhaps you can look on USA Embassy in Spain's webpage?

That being said, here's my best attempt at help with writing the letter, if you still choose to send one:

September 28, 2011
Barcelona, Spain

Embassy of United States
Barcelona, Spain

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am planning to take a two-year postgraduate program in the USA in Economics. Could you please provide me with some of the requirements? I shall arrive in Los Angeles on the 6th of June where I will take residence.

I know that I have to bring with me some certified papers but I don’t know specifically which ones I need. Please send me the information about which documents I will need. In addition, could you send me some brochures of what are the best universities that specialize in Economics in Los Angeles as well as their cost? Furthermore, I am requesting a list of the universities which give courses in Spanish.

In this two-year-period, I would really like to visit some other cities in USA, could you provide me with information on weekend visits to other beautiful places such as New York and Boston? Will I need to provide to you any added information to allow me to travel to these places?

Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.

Sincerely yours,

James
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:54 pm
@Ragman,
UCLA is great, I went there, but I would contact their admissions office by email to find out the admissions process - after taking a good look at the university website.
It is relatively low priced as great universities go, but there are added fees for people from outside the state of California. Whether that would be charged in your case I've no idea. USC was famously expensive, at least back in my experience, being a private university.

There are California State Universities that are a bit lower level than the University of California system, but still quite well thought of.. I don't know the fees. What I do know, is that the state budget in California is very stressed and at least some of the california state universities are considering halting new admissions for 2013. I know they have grad programs, but not in which fields.

There are other private universities I don't know that much about - Pepperdine, Occidental. Then there are the Claremont Colleges - most of that system is highly regarded. Again, I don't know the tuition costs, but they are likely to be higher than the california state universities.

There are several Catholic schools. Loyola University comes to mind.

There are also two year colleges where one can obtain an Associate of Arts degree, and those are less money, but they are also in budget stress. The one I know most about is Santa Monica College in Santa Monica, which is near the ocean on the west side of LA. I bring this up because it may help for you to take an english class or two in one of the two year colleges, and that may involve testing to see which class would be most appropriate.
Whether or not you need some english classes before going to a UCLA or USC grad program, I don't know - that's something for you to talk with them about.

All of those schools I mentioned are in the greater LA metropolitan area - that is a very large area.

In any case, research schools on the internet quickly as the admission process may not be simple.
0 Replies

james8

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:10 am
@Ragman,
Thank you for your help
One question: Is this sentence "In addition, I enquiry weather you could send me some brochures " not correct?
What's your impression of my English level?

Thank again
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:07 am
@james8,
By the way, welcome to A2K. You're taking on a big challenge with graduate level coursework. I commend you for your courage.

That sentence was not really good. I made the correction the most appropriate way I thought. I shortened the sentence and eliminated words that were extra or not needed in order to keep it concise and clear.

I wrote, " In addition, could you send me some brochures ..."

The word weather refers to a meteorological term (sky clouds rain/sun). Enquiry is misspelling of the word inquire.

Your English is passable but needs work. Pardon my directness but if you were interested in graduate level work and will be writing compositions in English, you'll need more study.

james8

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 09:46 am
@Ragman,
Sorry, I wanted to say "I enquire whether..."
Thanks four your advice, It's for that reason I study everday a bit of English.

I have written another composition, Could you help me with the corrections, please?

It was a Friday in the summer of 2008. Some students in the university, including me had organized a weekend in a rural house. We were eighteen people but I only knew four of them.
We all met near the university where there were all the cars waiting for us. It was a travel of two hours but it just seemed less time because we were very interesting in knowing each other and talking about the next two days.
Once we arrived at the house, we chose the rooms where we were going to sleep during those days. Fortunately, I was so quick that I could take a bed. Others, however, had to sleep on that tough floor. We passed the whole night drinking and laughing.
As a result of our tiredness, we did not get up before the ten hours the next day.
That morning, some people opted to visit the village and take some photos of that mountainous landscape. I didn’t feel like going outside so that I stayed in the swimming pool relaxing myself.
We spent the afternoon dancing and playing with the Play Station. Before it went dark, we had begun to prepare the barbecue we were going to use to prepare the dinner. We just ate some sausages and a bit of chicken; the food was delicious.
We passed the night as we did the first one: just drinking and laughing. Due to I was extremely exhausted, I fell asleep very soon.
The nest morning, we saw all together the Formula One race and returned eventually at home after having lunch.
It was a great experience and the most important fact is that I still get on pretty well with that people.

Thanks again for your cooperation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:59 am
James, if you are still paying attention to this thread -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/18/BA291O4J7L.DTL&tsp=1

That is an article about admissions at the University of California - they are recently accepting more out of state students and students from other countries.
0 Replies