Partying and work, does it mix?

Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
I talk about partying sometimes and use slangs and even talk in text. My prev jobs had been minimum wage and one was at a fast food joint. This one pays $10/hr and is semi-professional, although we are allowed to have fun. Don't get me wrong, my coworkers occasionally swear (but only mild expletives and only in the back room.) Even though I don't, I still feel iffy about asking everybody to join me at a club after work (jokingly.) Also, I meant to say "be right back" but went "BRB" instead, to my supervisor, no less.

I nvr do any of that in front of customers, where I spend most of my time anyhow. Also, I don't have any other issues with soft skills or hard skills for that matter. My performance is really good. I almost got called in yesterday on my day off and stuff. But how do I stop acting like a teenager when I'm 23? btw, they seemed ok with it and even think it's funny, but I just wanna stop period.

Now about my schedule: Good news is after I got off work Saturday the 24th, I woke up the next morning to find that I got hours added to my schedule for the 4/14. The 7th was already there, btw. I also got called in that same day. Bad news is this coming Saturday, I was scheduled a while back but then got taken off today. It's my only day this week. Help me make sense of this.

btw, everyone's been had hours taken off before. Ain't nobody's schedule stable. Same for being added on. I just wanna understand my particular situation. And also, sometimes my coworkers also talk about partying and crack stupid jokes. idk...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,210 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 08:49 am
@Angel23,
So help me make sense of THIS! lol. I just called my supervisor and what I gleaned from the talk:
1) I'm doing well in general
2) The better I perform, the more days I'll get.
3) Keep checking my schedule (online) bc she's getting ready to make changes.

So it looks like it had nothing to do with partying, right?
Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:42 am
@Angel23,
You have already taken the first steps in recognizing some “weakness” in your job performance. Yes, in most jobs, it reflects better on you if you act and speak professionally and like an adult rather than a teenager even if other co-workers act this way. You will always look better and seem to care about your job if you act professionally.

One suggestion – and this depends a bit on your relationship with your manager – and it could actually improve your relationship with your manager. Tell him/her you recognize that some times your speech is not always professional among your co-workers and you are trying to improve upon it. Ask him/her to take you aside when you speak this way and point it out to you. The best way to stop is to recognize when you do it.

I had a situation with my manager at one time. I felt comfortable with him enough that when I disagreed on something – I would let him know. That isn’t really a problem, but when you speak up and in an abrupt way in front of other co-workers – it seems as if you are being disrespectful. I did not even realize I was doing it – when he told me in review, I felt terrible because I really did respect him. I asked him to point it out when I did it. It really helped me to break this habit.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:50 am
How old are your co-workers?

If you worked with older people you would most likely speak like them. If you work with teens, then you'll speak like a teen.

LOL

Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:52 am
@Linkat,
haha thanks. Sometimes it's best not to conform. I just found out that I have another day added next week. It's JUST been added a coupla hours ago. Funny even though I don't have anything this week, I have 2 days next week.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:53 am
@PUNKEY,
Well, at 23, I'm the 2nd youngest. The only one younger than me is 22. Most people are 30+.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:

But how do I stop acting like a teenager when I'm 23? btw,

they seemed ok with it and even think it's funny, but I just wanna stop period.

Well, it's good that at 23 you've decided to start acting like the adult that you are.

Do you want your boss and your co-workers to think you're that ditzy chick that they think is funny (because she acts like a kid), or do you want to be treated with respect, and as an equal?

Could be that until this time you've always gotten what you want, or got attention by acting cutsy and carefree. Perhaps it's time to wean yourself off of that.

How do you stop? The way others have said, start acting like the professional people around you. That's not saying you have to be boring, but you need to realize there's a time and a place for acting all LOL.

Many people who work together will occassionally go out for a drink after work, but this is not partying. If they are in their 30's, chances are they have families, or other interests which don't include going out to bars often.
Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:04 pm
@chai2,
Thx. I will be getting a wristband that reminds me how to behave. Only I know what my wristband is for lol.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:31 pm
Ok who tagged this stupidity --- I can only guess...
Angel23

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
I tagged stupidity lol
demonhunter

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:54 pm
@Angel23,
Same troll I always was, just calling it as I see me.
Angel23

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 06:18 am
@demonhunter,
Kool
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 08:59 pm
@Angel23,
well that explains alot
Angel23

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 06:48 am
@Linkat,
I have 2 days a week now through the end of the month.
0 Replies