Reuters', the Best?

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:50 pm
It seems you all agreed that the English writings from Reuters are the best in its kind in the world.
Right? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:22 am
I suppose you need to compare it to something.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:45 am
For instance, AP, AFP, CNN, BBC, Guardian Unlimited, etc.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
When you say "best", that could mean different things to different people. Do you mean the most well written, the most timely, the most disinterested, the most interesting, the most relevant? Best is a very subjective word, and you need to clarify what you mean, or you will not receive answers that are useful for your purposes!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
Please see the text beneath the title of the thread, in which I've said "that the English writings from Reuters are the best in its kind in the world?". That is, does Reuters have the most well written in its kind in the world?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:11 pm
I don't read Reuters, so I can't say. I can tell you that you should write, "of its kind" rather than "in..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:56 pm
Phoenix makes a good point, OristarA. Something can be grammatically correct without being "the best writing." Something can be grammatically incorrect and be great writing. (James Joyce comes to mind.)

There is grammar, and then there are more general considerations like imagery, pacing, clarity, etc.

If your question has to do with the fact that when you post excerpts from Reuters, we usually say that the excerpt is grammatically correct, there is more to it than that. I would say the New York Times contains some of the best news writing in English, though I find a few typos and grammatical errors in it every day.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:11 am
Thanks for replying.

Now it seems there is no such a fact there for Reuters.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 03:19 am
Reuters is a news agency only, as far as I know.

Therefore it's not appropriate to compare it to the BBC or Guardian Online. These are much more than just news outlet websites.

And, as a general rule, if you want to learn English well, stay away from American websites: they haven't managed it yet! Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:55 am
Hi all. The New York Times, Guardian Unlimited, Reuters, BBC, CNN, AP, USAToday etc. are all my English writing teacher, I should learn to treat them with a fair-and-square manner. Very Happy
0 Replies