roger

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:15 pm
@oristarA,
Just for background on general useage, you will amost never hear 4thQ in the U.S. It's either 4th (or fourth) quarter, or 4Q.
oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

when you restock the shelves, you replace the items that you have sold.

Thanks.
But I don't understand you. Does "replace the items" similar to "recall BMW cars" for defects?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:54 pm
@oristarA,
no.

retail stores re-order products that have been sold so their shelves are full again.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
In business we do often define "6 or 8 Quarters worth of positive results"

But onlly four of them can comprise a year. You are either missing the point or arguing for the sake of it, or maybe both.
McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 12:48 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
What does "restock shelves" mean in "NEW YORK (AP) – The U.S. economy grew at a solid 3% pace in the final three months of 2011 but that growth likely slowed in the first three months of this year as businesses cut back on restocking their shelves"?

For a shopkeeper, his stock is his goods for sale.
If he re-stocks, he is re-supplying his shop.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 03:55 am
@contrex,
YOU define what your business year is. Ony tax purposes define such a caendar sequence. This statement as presented by the author actuay states what the return was for that ast quarter and was not reay ooking at the entire business year, so it makes further sense in that it defines WHICH quarter
Point is , theres realy nothing wrong nor awkward about saying 4 Quarters because its a summary statement, thats al.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 04:43 am
There is nothing uncommon about saying something like " Growth has been slow in six of the last ten quarters."

Joe(where's the year in that?)Nation
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 05:02 am
@Joe Nation,
ayup I notice today that the etter "L" is being missed uness I reay hit the hsit out of the etter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 07:29 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Just for background on general useage, you will amost never hear 4thQ in the U.S. It's either 4th (or fourth) quarter, or 4Q.

in Canada it is Q4 or the 4th quarter

we have to be different
roger

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:21 am
@ehBeth,
Lotsa loonies up there, eh?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
The saying with which I quarrelled was "a year is divided into four quarters", on the grounds that anything divided into quarters, is by definition, divided into four equal parts, and therefore the word "four" is redundant. Why is this such a problem? Of course nobody could have any argument with utterances of this type: "the last ten quarters".
McTag

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:50 am
@contrex,

Conty don't fret, we were only trying to pull your plonker.

At least I was.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:51 am
@McTag,
he leaves his goat mighty close the the fence...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 01:26 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
we were only trying to pull your plonker.

At least I was.

It's twice its normal length, but it feels really nice.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 05:38 am
I wonder if there are 1Q, 2Q, 3Q there to refer to first quarter, second quarter and third quarter respectively.
contrex

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 05:43 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I wonder if there are 1Q, 2Q, 3Q there to refer to first quarter, second quarter and third quarter respectively.

Yes. I have also seen Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4.
oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 06:24 am
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex.

PS. Doesn't "we were only trying to pull your plonker" sound rude? Why have you said "it's really nice"?
contrex

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 06:53 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Thank you Contrex.

PS. Doesn't "we were only trying to pull your plonker" sound rude? Why have you said "it's really nice"?

They say that jokes are destroyed by being explained, but never mind. It was a joke. In Southern English slang, to "pull someone's plonker" means to tease them in a friendly manner. "Plonker" is a UK slang word for "penis". The basis of my joke was my pretended confusion between having my metaphorical penis metaphorically pulled and having my literal penis literally pulled, which might be quite pleasant as long as (a) the puller was an attractive young female and (b) the pulling was not excessively vigorous or prolonged or done carelessly.

oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 09:13 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Thank you Contrex.

They say that jokes are destroyed by being explained, but never mind. It was a joke. In Southern English slang, to "pull someone's plonker" means to tease them in a friendly manner. "Plonker" is a UK slang word for "penis". The basis of my joke was my pretended confusion between having my metaphorical penis metaphorically pulled and having my literal penis literally pulled, which might be quite pleasant as long as (a) the puller was an attractive young female and (b) the pulling was not excessively vigorous or prolonged or done carelessly.

That is why Madonna would spout: Pussy rules the world. Pretty young females are man killers.
0 Replies