Failed to understand the collocation

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:16 am
What does " visiting retribution" mean?

Context:
Since Mr. Bo was fired last month after a scandal involving his police chief, a starkly different picture of his sweeping campaign to break up organized gangs — called da hei, or smash black — is coming into focus. Once hailed as a pioneering effort to wipe out corruption, critics now say it depicts a security apparatus run amok: framing victims, extracting confessions through torture, extorting business empires and visiting retribution on the political rivals of Mr. Bo and his friends while protecting those with better connections.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 560 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
"Visiting" as used here is an old fashioned term meaning "inflicting". "Retribution" means "Punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved", so possibly out of place in the context. Aren't these words in your dictionary? "Visiting retribution" is a phrase often used in a religious context about the punishment inflicted on wicked people by an angry God.

oristarA

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 11:01 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

"Visiting" as used here is an old fashioned term meaning "inflicting". "Retribution" means "Punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved", so possibly out of place in the context. Aren't these words in your dictionary? "Visiting retribution" is a phrase often used in a religious context about the punishment inflicted on wicked people by an angry God.

Thank you Contrex.
But if you remember such usage in Holy Bible, please pick out one and post here.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 11:57 pm
Deuteronomy 5:9-10 says, "I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands [of generations] to those who love Me and keep My commandments."
0 Replies