Misplaced Modifiers -- how to correct?

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:37 am
I have been reading about misplaced modifiers. Consider the sentence: "The cat sat on the table, surrounded by dishes." The modifier 'surrounded by dishes' seems to apply to the table, not the cat.

What are options for a flowing sentence that conveys the cat was (a) sitting on the table, and (b) surrounded by dishes. The grammar books I've looked at rewrite such sentences as two simple sentences, or as one very clunky sentence.

Thoughts?
"The cat, surrounded by dishes, sat on the table" ?
"Amid dishes, the cat sat on the table" ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 609 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 09:46 am
@anselcat,
trouble with many correct usages, they ARE BOOORING. Many times stretching the rules a bit makes for better reading. YOU DECIDE but I liked the first version, it was clear and albeit a bit clumsy, it actually was more interesting because it predisposes the scene to some mischief the cat may intend. It would present itself best because if you had the cat go nuts and dump all the dishes, the way the action was set up was just enough to make the scene visual. ANYWAY, a table surrounded by dishes wouldnt sound logical at all to me.

"Throwing the horse over the fence some hay", or "Throw mama from the train, a kiss"
is, of course , done to purposely engage our funny bones , not , as many believe, to pile ridicule on poor ignorant Pennsylvania Dutch or Jews. JEws and Germans actually , their native tongues, like that, speak. SO does Yoda, I think Yoda was Jewish anyway.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:36 am
@anselcat,
anselcat wrote:

I have been reading about misplaced modifiers. Consider the sentence: "The cat sat on the table, surrounded by dishes." The modifier 'surrounded by dishes' seems to apply to the table, not the cat.

That would only be true if the comma were not present.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:02 pm
@anselcat,
If you're a native English speaker, don't waste your time on this nonsense. Wasting time on this is only for English teachers who don't know enough about language to teach real issues.

If you're an ESL/EFL/EAL, then forget about this nonsense completely.
0 Replies