what's the meaning of "a short measure"?

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:37 am
He reached for the
whisky and poured himself a short measure, sipping a while, staring
out of the window to where the dogs lay napping in the yard,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,038 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:24 am
@kkfengdao,

a short measure is a small amount...
McTag

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:36 am
@Region Philbis,

Yes.

He was pouring his own, but in a pub, spirits are sold by law, by "measure".

This will vary from place to place, but if you're ever sold "short measure" in a pub, then you're not getting what you paid for.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:04 am
@McTag,
When my bartender hears I'm about to go, he "pours me a short one." about a half a shot glass full. (Jamison Whiskey)
It gives me something to sip as he tallies up my tab, takes my money and brings my change.

He doesn't charge me for this extra.

Joe( His tip does seems to grow a wee bit as I'm getting off the stool.)Nation

PS: Yes, I know, you over there don't tip anybody. Let's not start that again. Very Happy
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Here's a tip for you. Follow the facts 17.30 BST Towcester. Put a monkey on it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
Au contraire, mon ami americain.

But we don't run up a tab. I think yours is a more civilised system, and they do the same in most European countries, but not this one.

We pay for each order, each round of drinks or whatever, and we often say, when ordering a round (if we are Scottish, say) "and one for yourself". This is an invitation to the barsteward to award himself a small tip....which might be repeated several times in the evening from one's party.
McTag

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:14 pm
@Joe Nation,

When I was younger, and that covers potentially many decades it has to be said, a pub measure for whisky (that's the way to spell it, America) was a quarter gill.
Later it became a fifth, then even a sixth in some places. But of course the price never came down.

I don't know what's in a "shot" glass, and I don't know what a gill is in cc either. And that's okay, as I don't drink the stuff any more.
JTT

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
His tip does seems to grow a wee bit as I'm getting off the stool.

Maybe that's why he gives you the "short one" for free. It's obvious he has taken more than a fancy to you, Joe. Do you get off your stool in a noticeably provocative fashion? Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:53 pm
@McTag,
A normal shot glass is one ounce of spirit or liqueur. Although there are larger shot glasses around, the largest I've seen is a 4 ouncer.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:55 pm
@McTag,
In Ireland, I kept trying to give the bartender a tip, but they kept giving it back.. So I bought her a drink. She accepted that with no problem.
0 Replies