James Cameron becomes first solo explorer to reach the deepest point on Earth

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 06:25 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/james-cameron-begins-solo-dive-to-the-bottom-of-the-ocean/2012/03/25/gIQAPDwOaS_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Filmmaker and ocean enthusiast James Cameron became the first solo explorer to reach the deepest point of the ocean — almost seven miles down — when his custom-built one-man submarine touched down in the western Pacific Ocean’s Mariana Trench at 7:52 a.m. local time (5:52 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time), according to a statement from the National Geographic Society, which is sponsoring the filmmaking and scientific expedition.

(Brook Rushton) - Explorer and filmmaker James Cameron inside the pressure sphere simulator at Acheron Project offices in Sydney, Australia. This is the sphere where Cameron sat on his descent to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

(Mark Thiessen/National Geographic) - The Deepsea Challenger submersible begins its first 2.5-mile test dive off the coast of Papua New Guinea. The sub is the centerpiece of Deepsea Challenge, a joint scientific project by explorer and filmmaker James Cameron, the National Geographic Society and Rolex to conduct deep-ocean research.

The Academy Award winner radioed, “All systems OK,” after hitting bottom at a depth of 35,756 feet, the statement read
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,621 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would like him to have done it with breath hold diving.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good for him.

I used to work in the same quite small studio type building he had his company in at the time (forget the name) but can't say I knew him. I'm not particularly interested in his movies, haven't seen them and won't be, but I'm impressed by his doing this.

Good going.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:01 pm
I am sure there will be film and possible "monsters."
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:29 am
@edgarblythe,

glad the dive wasn't terminated...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:29 am
Anyone who thinks Jimmy Cameron has reached the lowest point on earth hasn't been out drinking with me in my younger days.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:33 pm
Will his documentary be as hokey as his movies?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 08:07 pm
I realize that many of us are beyond Cameron's movies, but I am not. I watched Titanic at a theater and when it returns in 3D I entend to see it again.
0 Replies