Hating FOX

willow tl

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:58 am
sentata...once i finish with the Al Franken book i will talk with my room mate and see if i can send you our copy...while the book is witty and tells some rather funny anecdotes...the truth is we as a nation no longer try to research information on "facts"...we let the loudest person dictate what we believe....I used to be very involved in politics but became apathetic...but it is too frightening what is happening in our country...You are one of the most articulate people here on this site...and respected i might add, I would like to hear your opinions on this book at how to inspire others to "research" the truth....instead of listening to those who yell the loudest...:-)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:28 am
I'm not jumping up and down with joy about Fox, but my displeasure has nothing to do with politics. Instead, I'm unhappy at the number of intelligent entertainment shows they put on, only to shortly cancel (while leaving idiotic lowest common denominator shows on forever).

Yes, it is obvious that Fox News is to the conservative side of the mainstream American Press. So what?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:36 am
Willow, you are very kind in your remarks, i don't know that i deserve them. I am also rather sceptical about the likelihood of people developing an interest in searching out the facts in a case. Facts are difficult to ascertain at best; but more importantly, facts often--usually, one might say--stand in the way of dogmatic belief. People cherish dogmatic belief, because it obviates the necessity of thought; it relieves them of the horrible burden of substituting the difficult effort of judgment for the relatively facile and consoling adherence to the dictates of an ideology.

Once again, you are very kind, Willow.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:50 am
I was thinking about subscribing to FOX to find out about what I'm missing. I don't like being in the dark.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:51 am
Watch Sky News, Steve, and then imagine the talking heads speaking the American language--save yourself the expense and trouble of offending your intellect.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:38 am
Nice of you to assume I have one Set.

Actually there was a certain amount of tongue in cheekiness about my last post. I'm sorry to say this, because all the Americans I have actually met are really nice people, but recently I've developed something of an allergic reaction to any news presented with an American accent. I wouldn't want to risk going into toxic shock with Fox.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:55 am
It seems that most nations these days can't live up to the standards set by their citizens. But I suppose that's not surprising when you look at the idiots we seem to consistently give leadership to.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:00 am
I said:
Quote:
The fox network and the newspaper holdings under the ownership of Rupert Murdoch share a particular political bias, not to mention a zesty love of news programming as money-maker, rather than news as social conscience or political safeguard.

jim said:
Quote:
Yes, it is obvious that Fox News is to the conservative side of the mainstream American Press. So what?

jim

I introduced this data not to simply state the too, too obvious (fox is neither fair nor balanced, nor terribly interested in truthfulness, nor integrity, nor community responsibility), but to point to the significance and dangers of allowing widespread corporate ownership of media outlets. Where Murdoch treads, base and ugly discourse arises. He's a bad guy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
You're right about Murdoch. Everything he touches is tainted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:34 am
Maybe we could get Murdoch and Conrad Black as astronauts on the Shrub's new mission to Mars. No need to get too fussy about redundancies and back-ups, just put 'em in a rocket, aim it at Mars, and fire away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Hmm, then we have Berlusconi to add to the mix.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:57 pm
I tend to read the news more than watch it. I like O'Reilly when he has interesting guests on, but that's about it.

Now, outside of Fox News, they also have the Fox Network, and the Fox Sports Network. There's only two problems with these, the audio and the video.
0 Replies