The politics of hoodie wearing

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:42 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't think the race of the jury made any difference.

They applied the law as it's written.

I'm not arguing with the verdict.

I'm arguing with the law.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I'm not arguing with the verdict.

I'm arguing with the law.

I agree that the law is not perfect.

I do not know for a fact how it all went down between Zimmerman and Trayvon but I do find it sad that Trayvon lost his life.

As much as I hate even more laws I wonder if there could be a law put into place to stop some of these horrific acts. The Trayvon Martin Law

I can only guess and my guess may be wrong but many young men are full of testosterone and think that they are invincible at times. I think that there may be things we can do to prevent such tragedies.

Many of these young men who have these problems can turn out to be productive citizens if the can make though these periods of development.

This is not the first time I have seen something like this that could have been prevented by the person caring the gun, just simply wearing a vest that identified their self as a person working with law enforcement.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:21 pm
Quote:

Not a damn mark on Trayvon but the bullet wound

talk about space, the final frontier
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Lola wrote:
This trial should be interesting this Summer. One thing that is clear from the tapes that I heard when they were played on news coverage programs at the time, the police told Zimmerman to stop following Martin and they would take care of it. I think maybe, just maybe, Zimmerman wishes he had taken their advice. I know Martin's parents wish he had.

Who says he didn't take their advice?
Is there any evidence that he continued to follow Trayvon after the dispatcher said they didn't need him to do that?

the fact that he was in the same place as Martin in each step of the way

Is that a fact? Is there any evidence to support it?

farmerman wrote:
and he even admitted his stalking to the dispatcher.

My question was regarding what he did after the dispatcher advised him that they didn't need him to follow Trayvon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:11 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
What I've learned from all this is that if I ever want to kill someone all I'll have to do is take them to Florida and start a fight. Then when I shoot them I can say I was just defending myself.

That is a very bad conclusion to draw.

To my knowledge, there has been no evidence presented that Zimmerman started the fight.

If there were such evidence of him starting the fight, he likely would have been convicted of voluntary manslaughter.

That's not murder, but it's a fairly hefty charge.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:27 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I hope fervently that laws will change as a result that 1. make it illegal for Neighborhood Watch people to carry guns and 2. for them to disregard police directions when they call in a report.

I'm not entirely sure that Zimmerman was a formal neighborhood watch participant. I recall reading early on in this case that he just appointed himself to the position and no one in the neighborhood had any objections.

Given the amount of misinformation that has been flowing throughout this case, perhaps that was wrong information. But if it is true then it is likely that he never had any sort of neighborhood watch training.

In any case, Zimmerman was not on neighborhood watch duty when this all occurred. He was heading out to the grocery store or something.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that anyone who is part of a formal neighborhood watch group is trained to be unarmed when they are on duty, though I suspect it isn't backed up by law. More likely, if they are caught carrying a gun they just get expelled from their neighborhood watch group.

I have seen lots of claims that Zimmerman disregarded the dispatcher's instructions, but I've never seen any evidence that he did so.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:30 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
@boomerang,
Boomer - yes, this post of yours is highly emotional and illogical.

Agree with that comment and the danger to young black males are not racists non-blacks or the police departments but other young black males. In fact the leading cause of deaths of such young black males is not accidents as in all other groups but killings by others young black males.

Strangely no one care about those killing and there are no rallies lead by such men as Sharpton over those tens of thousands of killings.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Because we all know white southerns never lie about events,

An we all know that teenagers black or white never attack anyone for no good reason.......... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Didn't Zimmerman go to some MMA school?

The only one I've heard was associated with MMA type stuff was Trayvon.

Though I couldn't tell you whether the claim was true or false.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:34 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
That's what he was trying to do!

He turn back and attacked Zimmerman not the other way around there was nothing stopping Trayvon from going home.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
The Trayvon Martin Law

If you are non-black and are attacked by a young black male you do not have a right to defend yourself is that how the law would read?.... Drunk Drunk
oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:50 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
You know what else couldn't have prevented Zimmerman from great harm?
1. Minding his own business!

There had been burglaries in the neighborhood. He was looking out for his neighbors.

boomerang wrote:
2. Staying in his car!

This is America. Law abiding citizens are not required to cower and hide from potential aggressors. We have every right to walk down the streets, and to defend ourselves if we are attacked.

boomerang wrote:
3. Listening to the advice of the 911 operator!

Do you have any evidence that Zimmerman didn't do just that?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
BillRM wrote:
If Trayvon had gone home instead of attacking Zimmerman he would be 18 by now and enjoying his life the one responsible for Trayvon death is Trayvon not Zimmerman.

That's what he was trying to do!

Do you have any evidence that Trayvon didn't double back and attack Zimmerman after Zimmerman halted his pursuit?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 02:13 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
If you are non-black and are attacked by a young black male you do not have a right to defend yourself is that how the law would read?....

No I would have the law read "anyone who engages in helping law enforcement be required to wear a vest to identify their position neighborhood watch, bounty hunter, or repo person or so forth and be trained how to approach someone and learn how to be emotionally intelligent.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
repo persons are taught to avoid confrontation above all else.

it's only a vehicle...
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
repo persons are taught to avoid confrontation above all else.

it's only a vehicle...

I can understand that but if for some mistaken reason a repo man was sent to pick up a car that the owner was never late on, maybe the owner might not shoot first.
I am not sure about the repo men but in Jacksonville Fl bounty hunters were looking for someone and they let the police know. the persons were not there so they came back a few hours later, long story short the police changed shifts and when the bounty hunters went back someone called in a break in or something to that effect. when the police showed up and seen men near a window with guns they shot first and then asked questions. Poor dead bounty hunters.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
However anyone have the right to walk around their neighborhood and call the police if they see something out of place and I can not see how you could tell someone they can not do that unless they meet some requirements.

Police departments also would need to be careful not to give such actions a seal of approval as that would likely mean that they might be on the hook it something did go wrong.

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:57 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I can not see how you could tell someone they can not do that unless they meet some requirements.

I was just trying to offer ideas that might help people from getting killed. Maybe a punk kid who likes to fight would show a little more respect to someone who is identified as law enforcement. Not calling Trayvon the punk but I do know of others in their youth who would behave that way, even one or two that are over 40 years old.
BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 04:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
Oh after Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida my "neighborhood watch" was carrying shotguns around and there was no police to deal with possible problems as for one thing the phone system both land line and cell was not in working order to be able to call them.

It was an interesting time indeed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 05:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
. Not calling Trayvon the punk but I do know of others in their youth who would behave that way

Behave in what way? He wanted to walk to where he was staying with a bag of Skittles after he visited a convenience store? Then he had to defend himself when a wannabe fascist nazi nutjob who challenged him for the offense of 'walking while being black'?

What Zimmerman did for his volunteer job was not law enforcement...he was not the police. Neighborhood watch is not law enforcement. Their charter is to CALL Police if there's an issue - not shoot a teenager dead for defending himself from a stalker who stalked him being black and walking around at 2 am with a bag of Skittles.