The politics of hoodie wearing

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you. I appreciate this big compliment by someone like you.
Furthermore, I think that knowing some more languages than my native German is quite good for someone with an IQ below 70, isn't it Finn? (Stultorum infinitus est numerus.)
snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good thing you don't have a son.

The fact that Zimmerman had a gun and was willing to use it is precisely why a father should hope his son would refrain from pointless displays of machismo, and turn around and walk away.

If the right thing to do was to beat the snot out of Zimmerman, then Martin's death would have been heroic, not tragic. As weird as this thing has become, I've yet to see anyone describe Martin as a hero.

The minute you engage in violence, notions of fair play become meaningless and expectations for them become idiotic.

Fortunately, killing someone is difficult for even someone perceived to be a bad ass, or else there would be a lot more dead people filling up cemeteries. Nevertheless, there are those who can kill and actually enjoy doing so and you never know whether or not the loudmouth you clock is one of them.

If Zimmerman didn't have a gun and wasn't prepared to use it, Martin would likely have returned home boasting to all his friends that he had beat the snot out of some racist cracker. Apparently, if you were his Dad he would have gotten an Atta Boy.

Being a male, he would have been high as a kite on his primal victory, and unaware of just how close he came to losing his masculine life. Such is the life of testosterone flushed teenagers but one would hope the adults in his life would contribute reason, not encouragement.

Violence is often necessary and often just, but violence to validate masculine pride is absurd for a species that has developed weapons and a thirst, among some, for blood.

I am the father of two sons and I would much prefer to talk to them about how they felt shame about walking away then attending their funerals.

Maybe you'll teach them not to appoint themselves as make-believe cops, or to arm themselves and stalk people for no reason as well. For all I know, Trayvon was minding his own business when he was approached by this man (who just by the way had a history of violent outbursts and was under the influence of a strong narcotic), and when he would not be bullied or cowed fought back and lost his life. We may never know what happened that night.

But in any case, you most certainly can take your backwards ass morals and ethno-centric advice about what's right and just, and bury it deeply where the sun never shines.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 04:50 pm
@snood,
Quote:

Maybe you'll teach them not to appoint themselves as make-believe cops,

Are you morally opposed to all neighborhood watch programs, or is it only the participation by those who dream of being officers of the law to which you are against?

Quote:
stalk people for no reason as well.

George had very good cause to be concerned about an unknown black male youth wandering his neighborhood in which there is recent history of black male youth committing crimes....your claim "no reason" does not pass the smell test, as you are really shoveling it here.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 10:43 am
@snood,
As I said, it's a good thing you don't have a son.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 11:19 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
neighborhood watch

As long as they watch. It's the neighborhood vigilantes that I take issue with.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 01:17 pm
@DrewDad,

hawkeye10 wrote:
neighborhood watch
DrewDad wrote:

As long as they watch. It's the neighborhood vigilantes that I take issue with.
I thawt Charles Bronson was kinda fun.

David
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 01:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As I said, it's a good thing you don't have a son.

And it's sad that you do.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My apologies Walter. I forgot how literal minded you are. Of course you are not an idiot in the true sense of the word. In fact, I've no doubt you have a quite an elevated IQ.

I should have used "fool."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:47 am
@snood,
I think I'll keep this from them. They would be devastated, as am I, to learn of your opinion.
snood

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 11:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I think I'll keep this from them. They would be devastated, as am I, to learn of your opinion.

Yeah, you officious prick I'm all broken up over your opinions, too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 08:47 am
http://content.cartoonbox.slate.com/?feature=b04bac380f002c27efeb191cd2940fc0

The "thought" process is about the same...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 01:51 pm
@snood,
This a silly cartoon that attempts to satirize a situation that doesn't exist...at least not to the extent that it deserves the attention of a political cartoonist.

The vast majority of people who have no use for the president can very easily put their finger on why they don't approve of the job he's doing and why they don't trust him....and it has nothing to do with what he looks like.

But this cartoonist and folks like you just have to keep the race card in play.

Whether or not he wins re-election, it is a forgone conclusion that there will be plenty of people who voted for him in 2008 who won't vote for him in 2012. How to explain this? Did they suddenly notice the color of his skin?

It's precisely the same as when fools on the Right suggest that liberals are traitors who want to see America fail.

Someone doesn't agree with you and it's not enough to contend they are wrong or even stupid, they have to be sinister.

It's never enough that the Big Bad Republicans might simply not care about the poor or minorities, they have to hate them.

I suppose it fulfills childhood fantasies about being the Good Guy, the hero who triumphs against great odds and foul evil, to deliver the down trodden from the heavy yoke of their powerful masters.

It's also an effective tool of a cynical cadre of "activists" and "organizers."

Tie up the opposition's rhetoric in defensive caveats, and you have an immediate advantage. Render them hand shy of your accusations and the advantage grows.

Unfortunately too many conservatives care too much about whether someone who is diametrically opposed to their beliefs resorts to calling them names like "racist."

And if the person calling them names is black, they too often shiver and retreat.

I, however, am the Bad Guy who couldn't care less if the guy wearing the white hat calls me an "officious prick" or a racist.

BillRM

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
******* coons" on his call to 911 might be indicative.

Sorry he said no such thing on the 911 tape and had a record of even defending a black homeless man who was falsely arrested by the police when the homeless black person was the victim of an assault.

No shame in making up nonsense and outright lies about Zimmerman it would seems.

Next on my bank door it ask everyone to removed sunglasses and hats before entering the bank.

Seems hoodies would raise similar concerns.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:24 pm
http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/may/24/michael-shannon-media-plays-judge-jury-zimmermman-ar-1940114/

You may recall CNN re­porter Gary Tuchman exam­ined Zimmerman’s 911 call and discovered racism!, which is to be expected of someone with a white father. Using “one of the most sophisti­cated audio edit suites in the broadcast news business,” CNN heard Zimmerman say­ing “[bleeping] coons” after technicians “enhanced” the recording.

Naturally to demonstrate evenhanded news judgment, the tape was played for view­ers about 300 times during the segment. As the reporter intoned, “Listen closely for “coon,” a word only bigots use. Remember it starts with a ‘c’ and ends with ‘oon.’” Except the word wasn’t “coon.” Two weeks later, CNN re-enhanced the tape, and sure enough, Zimmerman was saying “[bleeping] cold.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/06/enhanced-audio-11-call-questions-if-george-zimmerman-used-racial-slur/

Enhanced audio of George Zimmerman 911 call casts doubt about use of racial slur
Published April 06, 2012
FoxNews.com
George Zimmerman, seen at left in a prior booking photo, says he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old, in self defense.
Contrary to previous reports, George Zimmerman did not utter a racial slur during a 911 call he made while tailing Trayvon Martin in the moments before he shot and killed Martin, according to a new analysis of the recording.

That’s the latest take from one of the news organizations, CNN, that earlier had reported -- it seems, erroneously -- that Zimmerman had uttered the phrase “f---ing coon” in his 911 call.

“It doesn’t sound like a slur anymore,” CNN features reporter Gary Tuckman said to host Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday. “It sounds like – and we wanted to leave it up to the viewer – but it sounds like we’re hearing the swear word at first and the word ‘cold.’”

The CNN reversal came after the quality of the audio recording was improved and analyzed by a second independent expert, who determined Zimmerman had been talking about the unusually cold Florida weather the night of the shooting.

Blitzer had previously reported on the 911 recording with a different expert and indicated at the time that Zimmerman had used the racial epithet, bolstering the argument race was a factor in the shooting of the unarmed 17-year-old, who was black. Zimmerman has white and Hispanic ancestry.

In Wednesday’s report, Blitzer cut to the original segment, in which the word in question was isolated and played repeatedly. “That sounds even more like the word ['coon' or 'coons'] than using it with the F-word before that,” the anchor exclaimed during the original report.

Wednesday’s segment then shifted back to Blitzer, Tuckman and the new audio expert, Brian Stone, who all agreed what they had previously thought was a racial slur was actually the word “cold.”

“It seemed pretty clear then,” Blitzer said.

CNN aired a third report on Thursday claiming that Zimmerman told his attorneys that he said, “f---ing punks.”

The network then had a third forensic audio expert, Tom Owen, analyze the tape and he agreed that Zimmerman uttered “punks."
The news channel’s reports this week was the second mea culpa from a major news organization on the Martin case. NBC News was slammed last week for airing an edited version of the 911 call in which Zimmerman seemed guilty of racial profiling.

“This guy looks like he's up to no good … he looks black,” Zimmerman says in the edited version of the tape that aired.

In the unedited version of the call, however, Zimmerman says, “This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or like he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.” Only after he is specifically asked by 911 dispatcher about Martin’s race – “Black, white or Hispanic?” did Zimmerman reply “He looks black.”

The edited clip aired on the “Today” show last week. An internal investigation determined that a “seasoned” producer was to blame for the edit.

NBC apologized for the incident on Tuesday but declined to release the producer’s name, or any information on disciplinary action that may have

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/06/enhanced-audio-11-call-questions-if-george-zimmerman-used-racial-slur/#ixzz1wCMV5G8d
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 02:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This a silly cartoon that attempts to satirize a situation that doesn't exist..

You've obviously never listened to talk radio in Texas.

Damn straight that situation exists.
snood

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:04 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This a silly cartoon that attempts to satirize a situation that doesn't exist..

You've obviously never listened to talk radio in Texas.

Damn straight that situation exists.

In Finn's world, there was "Bush derangement syndrome" on the part of the Left, but no "Obama derangement syndrome" on the part of the white, er, right.

In Finn's world, there are no people like Zimmerman who perceive a criminal threat in an innocent teenager because he's black.

In Finn's world, the "race card" is something that isn't raised by teabaggers carrying signs with Obama pictured as a monkey, but by anyone who points out that that sort of thing is racist.

Finn lives in a fucked up world.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:12 pm
@snood,
Quote:

So do the rest of us. He just happens to believe his is the right one.
snood

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:

So do the rest of us. He just happens to believe his is the right one.

Thanks Sturgis. Everyone probably believes their own perception of the world to be "right", wouldn't you say?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:52 pm
@snood,
I'd like my perception to be right. I am usually aware it isn't totally there (yet).

snood

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 03:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Yeah, I don't think I always get everything right either.

(feels like the last couple posts between us are just stating the obvious)
0 Replies