The politics of hoodie wearing

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 01:11 pm
DamoKKKrat race baiting endangers us all, black, white, or any other color. John Lott:

Quote:
...Using this case for political purposes has already come at a real cost. In Gainesville, Florida; Oak Park, Illinois; Mobile, Alabama; Toledo, Ohio; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and possibly Norfolk, Va., blacks have attacked whites in what they think is revenge for Zimmerman attacking Martin because he was black, and those are just the cases where the perpetrators would make some comment such as “This is for Trayvon.”

The media has been partially responsible for this aftermath with its sensational reporting. Recent coverage has helped to balance things out, but responsible reporting requires still more. ...

Bork Obunga making his "if I had a son he'd look like Trayvon Martin" comment is the outright worst of it. FDR or Harry Truman or Ike or any other past president would have viewed the idea of joining a lynch mob as undignified.

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 02:05 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Generally speaking - the hub-bub around here was bustling as long as the crime appeared to be a one-sided affair with an innocent black kid and an evil racist white shooter (probably a Republican... voted for Bush, to be sure...). Now that the story shows shades of gray, dialogue has dried up significantly. Just observing and saying it.

Understood. I'll just add that I think a lot of the hubbub died down when he was arrested. At that point it became clear that he would at least have to answer for it in court, even if he still gets off.
JTT

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 02:19 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
FDR or Harry Truman or Ike or any other past president would have viewed the idea of joining a lynch mob as undignified.

Surely you jest, gunga. These men you've mentioned, and all the other presidents, were never, have never thought it undignified to terrorize innocents. Nor did they think it untoward to rape, torture and murder those same innocents.

Y'all have really got to stop using the US and its politicians as examples of probity.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 02:48 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
Understood. I'll just add that I think a lot of the hubbub died down when he was arrested. At that point it became clear that he would at least have to answer for it in court, even if he still gets off.

Given the circumstances, that is still prosecutorial misconduct as Alan Dershowitz notes. That still exposes an innocent man to the dangers of the American justice system and in real life that that you or I could be charged with the Lindburgh kidnapping right now and there are some combinations of judges, juries, prosecutors, and lawyers with which one of us would be fund guilty and spent the rest of our lives in prison.

This prosecutor is going to join Mike Nifong working at McDonalds.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 02:49 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Surely you jest, gunga. These men you've mentioned, and all the other presidents, were never, have never thought it undignified to terrorize innocents. Nor did they think it untoward to rape, torture and murder those same innocents.

You claiming FDR raped your grandma before or after he was stricken with polio?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 03:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
Lash wrote:
Generally speaking - the hub-bub around here was bustling as long as the crime appeared to be a one-sided affair with an innocent black kid and an evil racist white shooter (probably a Republican... voted for Bush, to be sure...). Now that the story shows shades of gray, dialogue has dried up significantly. Just observing and saying it.
FreeDuck wrote:
Understood. I'll just add that I think a lot of the hubbub died down when he was arrested.
At that point it became clear that he would at least have to answer for it in court, even if he still gets off.
Being run thru the system
not only discriminates between the innocent and the guilty,
it can also financially ruin a man 's financial condition,
maybe for life. Fortunately, in this particular case,
at least insofar as the criminal case is concerned,
defendant appears to be getting pro bono legal representation,
but not ALL future defendants will necessarily be so lucky.

That gives rise to the question of whether a victim like Zimmy
shud simply allow future abusers to have their way with him,
cast their fate to the winds and hope for the best,
in order to avoid being run thru the judicial system.

David
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 04:09 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Given the circumstances, that is still prosecutorial misconduct as Alan Dershowitz notes. That still exposes an innocent man to the dangers of the American justice system and in real life that that you or I could be charged with the Lindburgh kidnapping right now and there are some combinations of judges, juries, prosecutors, and lawyers with which one of us would be fund guilty and spent the rest of our lives in prison.

I find it mildly amusing that you've done what you accuse others of -- namely declaring Zimmerman innocent and accusing the prosecutor of misconduct when you don't have all of the evidence. The most important evidence cannot be released to the public before the trial, and that is Zimmerman's confession and his video re-enactment at the scene. You and I only have access to what has been revealed by the press, that's not even everything that was just released. Regardless of your personal sympathies and skewed analysis, he caused a young man's death. He's not "innocent". I might agree that 2nd degree murder seems hard to prove based on the evidence released so far (and I said so on Robert's thread), but I don't believe manslaughter would be difficult to prove at all.

In reality innocent people are prosecuted all the time. They are sometimes found guilty. They are overwhelmingly black men.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not drying up re dialog, I'm watching. Certainly there has been hysteric defense of the shooter but I'll agree a rush of sorts for Martin, and that rush has made more sense to me. I personally don't know, but have suppositions.

Are you still miffed about people talking about races? I agree with you that race is a construct with clay feet, but it is of contemporary usage, time you learn that. I previously indicated that I am not sure Zimmerman acted out of racism, maybe and maybe not. Maybe he is a clothes connoisseur.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 06:09 pm
@FreeDuck,
gungasnake wrote:
Given the circumstances, that is still prosecutorial misconduct as Alan Dershowitz notes.
That still exposes an innocent man to the dangers of the American justice system and in real life that that you or I could be charged with the Lindburgh kidnapping right now and there are some combinations of judges, juries, prosecutors, and lawyers with which one of us would be fund guilty and spent the rest of our lives in prison.

FreeDuck wrote:
I find it mildly amusing that you've done what you accuse others of -- namely declaring Zimmerman innocent
and accusing the prosecutor of misconduct when you don't have all of the evidence.
That 's OK, because defendants r presumed innocent.

FreeDuck wrote:
The most important evidence cannot be released to the public before the trial,
and that is Zimmerman's confession and his video re-enactment at the scene.
Declaring that he SHOT decedent was not a "confession".
Shooting him was a legal, fine and admirable thing to do.
Florida is a safer place for it.

FreeDuck wrote:
You and I only have access to what has been revealed by the press,
that's not even everything that was just released. Regardless
of your personal sympathies and skewed analysis, he caused a young man's death.
That was the proper, well-suited & felicitous thing for Zimmy to do.

FreeDuck wrote:
He's not "innocent".
Nothing that he did was incorrect, immoral, nor illegal.

FreeDuck wrote:
I might agree that 2nd degree murder seems hard to prove based on the evidence released so far
(and I said so on Robert's thread), but I don't believe manslaughter would be difficult to prove at all.

In reality innocent people are prosecuted all the time.
Thay need good, robust laws recognizing their freedom of self defense.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 06:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If dialogue is drying up it is likely a result of fatigue . . . too much hysterical defense of the shooter based on little to no evidence at all . . .
HOW MUCH evidence do u need,
in order to find for the DEFENDANT?????

Maybe its different in Canadia.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 06:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
but....

he was approved for concealed carry. he is obviously above reproach and should be taken at his word.
People who r below
reproach share an equal right to defend their lives from predatory violence,
with those above. Right?????????? YES???

Rockhead wrote:
whatever it keeps changing to be...
Did Zimmy CHANGE his story, Rocky?????

How did he change it? Will u reveal that to us ??? Please ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 11:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If dialogue is drying up it is likely a result of fatigue . . . too much hysterical defense
of the shooter based on little to no evidence at all . . .
I don 't agree that the defense is fairly characterized as being "hysterical",
but I remember about 4O or 5O years ago, when my friend, Don,
fought off 3 youthful Puerto Ricans in the subway, who were mugging him.
IF he had harmed them (e.g., thrown them, or any of them, in front of a train) in self defense,
I 'd not have wanted Don to have been afflicted with huge debt for legal defense fees,
either for criminal or for civil litigation. Don was younger 5O years ago. He 'd not have
wanted to live his future life under financial oppression.
( Note that Don was not chasing anyone when this event fell upon him.)

The decent people can empathize with poor Zimmy.
As thay used to say: "It can happen to U!"

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 11:31 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
You claiming FDR raped your grandma before or after he was stricken with polio?

They like to do it by proxy.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 09:11 pm
@JTT,
Sounds like a story Redd Foxx used to tell, the wolf walks up to granny and says

Quote:
Granma, I'm gonna rip off all your clothes, throw you down on the ground, an make passionate love to you...

I mean, that's the kind of world you idiots basically live in, isn't it?
JTT

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 09:38 pm
@gungasnake,
I suppose that that makes sense to someone as insane as you, gunga.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 09:29 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I mean, that's the kind of world you idiots basically live in, isn't it?

Irony... meter... overloading....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 01:23 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Sounds like a story Redd Foxx used to tell, the wolf walks up to granny and says

Quote:
Granma, I'm gonna rip off all your clothes,
throw you down on the ground, an make passionate love to you...
I hope that Granny was sufficiently WELL ARMED for the occasion.
I think a .44 magnum Ruger SuperBlackhawk is apt.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:41 pm
@snood,
Good thing you don't have a son.

The fact that Zimmerman had a gun and was willing to use it is precisely why a father should hope his son would refrain from pointless displays of machismo, and turn around and walk away.

If the right thing to do was to beat the snot out of Zimmerman, then Martin's death would have been heroic, not tragic. As weird as this thing has become, I've yet to see anyone describe Martin as a hero.

The minute you engage in violence, notions of fair play become meaningless and expectations for them become idiotic.

Fortunately, killing someone is difficult for even someone perceived to be a bad ass, or else there would be a lot more dead people filling up cemeteries. Nevertheless, there are those who can kill and actually enjoy doing so and you never know whether or not the loudmouth you clock is one of them.

If Zimmerman didn't have a gun and wasn't prepared to use it, Martin would likely have returned home boasting to all his friends that he had beat the snot out of some racist cracker. Apparently, if you were his Dad he would have gotten an Atta Boy.

Being a male, he would have been high as a kite on his primal victory, and unaware of just how close he came to losing his masculine life. Such is the life of testosterone flushed teenagers but one would hope the adults in his life would contribute reason, not encouragement.

Violence is often necessary and often just, but violence to validate masculine pride is absurd for a species that has developed weapons and a thirst, among some, for blood.

I am the father of two sons and I would much prefer to talk to them about how they felt shame about walking away then attending their funerals.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Violence is often necessary and often just, but violence to validate masculine pride is absurd for a species that has developed weapons and a thirst, among some, for blood.
Indeed. Forget all that Christian sayings like "if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek" but better kill before someone tries to slap you.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
For some time now Walter, I have attributed the idiotic nature of some of your posts to a language problem.

No more.

You're an idiot, no matter what your native tongue.