Bird flu in pigs, are they going to fly?

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:48 pm
Quote:
However, medieval highway regulations (never repealed) allow you to herd ( for free) a flock of geese over London bridge or no more than 3 pigs and a piglet providing the geese are not pig sick and the pigs are not suffering from geese flu. Pretty sure I have that right.

Good news! I hadn't been aware of this! I can bring by friends with me next time I'm in London!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
Yes, Steve, but even as a walker you have to look for the tfaffic lights - otherwise:

In the middle of the road, between Bridgestreet and Great Georgestreet, Westminster, Messrs. Saxby and Farmer, the well-known railway signalling engineers, have erected a column 20 feet high, with a spacious gas lamp near the top, the design of which is the application of the semaphore signal to the public streets at points where foot passengers have hitherto depended for their protection on the arm and gesticulations of a policeman - often a very inadequate defence against accident. The lamp will usually present to view a green light, which will serve to foot passengers by way of caution, and at the same time remind drivers of vehicles and equestrians that they ought at this point to slacken their speed. The effect of substituting the red light for the green one and raising the arms of the semaphore - a simultaneous operation - will be to arrest the traffic on each side.
Image/Source HERE
(The Express, 8th December 1868)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
Love the description in your quote, Walter; the writing is a delight.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:42 pm
Any pigs and geese of yours in London are a friend of mine Patio Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
no image walter, what you done with it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:04 pm
I didn't steel it [edited instead the link], but you can report that here:
404 ERROR
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
And if they DO start to fly? We all used to be worried about a PIGEON crapping on us........ <shudder>
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
good point Mr Duckpointer
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
now the special flue virus is back:

Bird flu virus found in pigs

Quote:
China says it has made the first ever discovery of a deadly strain of bird flu in pigs.

China says this development could have ominous implications for efforts to restrict the disease's spread to humans.

China National Avian Influenza Reference Laboratory director Chen Hualan says scientists discovered the lethal H5N1 virus in pigs tested in 2003 and again in others this year.

"A very important point is that in 2003 and 2004 we started finding this virus in pigs in different areas in China," she said.

"This is a rather dangerous signal in terms of public health."

She later told journalists the H5N1 virus was found in pigs in south-east China's Fujian province in 2003 and in "another place" in 2004, but only in one farm.

"It is not just the first time it has been found in China but in the world," she said.

Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and China have all recently reported new cases of bird flu in poultry.

Up until now the virus has been found only in poultry.

While it was suspected to be carried by swine, no cases in pigs had been officially reported, a United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation official in Bangkok says.

Link
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 06:56 am
I told them if they allowed Porky Pig to visit Daisy Duck at the Bejing DisneyWorld this might happen.

Joe
0 Replies