1,400 year old anglo-saxon king

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:01 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Child of Light:

Oddness = Oldness? The past took place before the present happened.

I meant oddness.....the map look odd to me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:37 pm
Why 'odd'?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:45 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Why 'odd'?

Grr, I'm sick of explaining! If you know what I'm talking about, good...If you don't, just assume I'm insane.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:47 pm
Walter, i was unaware that the Teutoburger forest had been definitely identified. Were there artifacts found which could definitely be linked to Varus' legions, or to Hermann's Chatti, Cherusci and Suebi?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:52 pm
Yes, to all, and THIS is a very good English website about it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
Great site, Walter. Thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:08 pm
Walter, thank you very much, when it comes to the pertinent link, you are the Man!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:46 pm
Very good, thank you Littlek and Walter
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:01 pm
You know Walter, as a boy and young man, i made it my business not simply to read the history of Europe, but the great historians of Europe and America, even when i suspected they had gotten things wrong. So i read John Motley, never fooled by his specious theories, and gratified at the excellent research he had done for his Rise of the Dutch Republic. I read Carlyle, amused by his monarchical prejudice against the French revolutionaries, and in favor of Friedrich. And i read Mommsen, first as a boy, and then again as a young man. I started with classical history, the history of the Greeks and the Romans, and was never disappointed either by Mommsen's scholarship, nor his style of writing. I am very gratified indeed to see his theory vindicated in such a telling manner.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:16 am
I read Mommsen as well ... as a child (is in my father's library).

And got talk by his great-grandson, Hans Mommsen at university. (Interesting aside: his twin brother taught at another university, history as well. It as said - and both affirmed this - that they sometimes "changed their chairs" = taught on different places; no-one noticed this.)
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:42 am
For those of you who want to know about Southend-On-Sea:

http://www.petesipple.co.uk/southend.html

On Walter's map (which seems perfectly normal to this Brit) it would be in the East Saxons area - on the coast just North of the Thames Estuary.

KP
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:41 am
That's hilarious, Walter, i didn't know Mommsen had a twin. I really knew nothing about him, but greatly enjoyed reading his work. As late as the 1950's in America, university survey texts on ancient history leaned heavily on Mommsen.

KP, long time, no see. Good to see you here. Yes, the map looks normal to me, as well, saving only the absense of that annoying old continent to the east . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:14 am
Another good link to the find.

you can spin the artefacts about, should you be so inclined

http://www.molas.org.uk/news/latestNews2.asp#
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:44 am
It were his great-grandsons, Set, - since we are the same age Laughing
(the old famous Mommsen lived 1817 - 1903)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
Walter, I got really caught up in those links last night. Thanks!
The museum tour was very nice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 07:16 pm
Thanks kitchenpete! Have you been there?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:38 am
lil k!

I've never been to Southend, but I have heard about it from friends and colleagues.

KP
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:13 am
I got up a few minutes ago feeling pretty good about myself and now Walter and Setanta have reminded me of how ignorant I am.......thanks fellas, I feel grounded. :wink:

Now for coffee.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:10 am
Heh, what should I say, being 75 days ahead of you :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:14 am
What I find interesting is the material culture (artifacts) The deceased was a king in a district that was one of the wealthiest parts of Roman Britain. Take away the arms and the gold and the material culture looks little different than that of a wealthy peasant 300 years previous. It suggests just how far conditions had fallen in Britain with the collapse of the Roman government.
0 Replies