What does "the dangerous idea" refer to?

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:31 pm
Does it refer to "the idea that design might not need a designer"?

Context:
Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life (1995) is a book by Daniel Dennett which looks at some of the repercussions of Darwinian theory. The crux of the argument is that whether or not Darwin's theories are overturned there is no going back from the dangerous idea that design - purpose or what something is for - might not need a designer.
More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin's_Dangerous_Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 806 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:48 pm
@oristarA,
Possibly it acknowledges that there might be a creation without a Creator. It looks like a religious concept to me.
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:41 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Possibly it acknowledges that there might be a creation without a Creator. It looks like a religious concept to me.

Can "without a Creator" be religious, Roger? It sounds landing on nowhere close to both theism and atheism.

PS. I don't get "what something is for" very well. Would anyone like to rewrite it for me?
roger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:06 am
@oristarA,
No. Well, Darwin's 'dangerous idea' was evolution. A design without a designer is like a creation without a Creator. Possibly, I should have said anti-religious concept.

"what something is for" is the same as its purpose. Now, something having a purpose is getting close to the idea that it was created. If it was created with a purpose, that kind of implies a creator, doesn't it?

By the way, I've never read Darwin. I'm just applying common concepts.
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:30 am
@roger,
i love the way roger is evolving
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
PS. I don't get "what something is for" very well. Would anyone like to rewrite it for me?

What is a hammer for? It's for hitting a nail. A hammer is for driving a nail into wood.
A screwdriver is used for driving a screwnail down.
A cushion is for making your seat more comfortable.
0 Replies