Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:15 pm
First, I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I have a huge dilemma on my hands that has been ongoing. My fiance and I have been together for eight years now (yep, still not married). We've had big issues getting along after about 4 years together. Somehow we always worked through it, no matter how stressful. Our fights have been pretty bad for the most part, always crossing the line of things that should be said and should not be said.
With that being said, last year we got pregnant. However, this was not intentional. I was under the impression that she was taking birth control on a daily basis (I literally asked her and she said yes.) After she missed her period it was obviously time for a pregnancy test. Once we found out she was pregnant I brought up the question of her being on the pill. She THEN tells me that she wasn't taking it properly and many times not at all. Even when she was, it was at different times of the day (needs to be the same time daily). This obviously ignited more fights, but without as much yelling and name calling being she was pregnant. I didn't want to be a father nor was I ready. Abortion was out of the option as she didn't want to go through with it. So even though, I didn't want to do this, I stuck it out not wanting to abandon her. Now keep in mind at this point, and currently, I am in college. I'm 27 to be exact, I worked for many years and went back to school, in case any of you are wondering. Through this she did not have her own car and hasn't for any of our relationship. As you can imagine this posed a huge problem. Basically since I was in school I ended up playing stay at home dad for the past year while she took my car to work. Not an ideal situation but that's how it played out. Recently, she just came up with enough money to buy her own car. She didn't include me on the decision, the payment amount, the dealing with the salesman for the price of the car. NOTHING. Sounds like a good couple right? So, here we are now, and I am honestly at my wits end. We constantly fight, argue, don't have a social life, etc. I was once happy and don't want this life for myself or my son. I'd rather he have a life apart from his father than 2 parents that constantly fight. I've raised him for his first year now and have obviously been very close to him. I love him dearly but it's hard to continue like this. She isn't open to discussions, we can't reach agreements without arguing, basically nothing is simple. Everything comes attached with a fight. Now, I want to leave. I want to go our seperate ways beacause it's been nothing but poison in both our lives. It seems to bother me more than her being she had a bad upbringing. (no parents, abuse, etc.) So now she's telling me to just go she doesn't need me, or money (yes, I'm willing to help her financially with a move and get her on her feet.) Keep in mind I've literally been living off of financial aid and raising my son. I'm willing to leave myself with next to nothing to make this happen. She complains she can't afford anything on her own (although she constantly tells me I'm worthless and doesn't need me). So here I am. I hope this is somewhat clear and I can get some good advice on what the heck I should do. I'm normally not a lost soul, but right now I am.
Edit: Oh yeah, I've brought up counseling before and yet here we are after eight years and nothing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 890 • Replies: 2
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:38 pm
@ConfusedOne84,
One of the things you need to realise is that there are a lot of issues here. It's not just one or two issues that need sorting.

Some questions I think should be asked here are :

- do you & her understand the stressors in each of your lives?

- do you know to respectfully and firmly stand up for yourself? (and visa versa)

- Do you understand (which does not mean 'know') her main complaints about you? (and visa versa) Is there anything you can do to alleviate the complaint while being true to yourself?

- How much time to you put into growing the relationship?
-----------------------------------------

Personally I think you really need a counsellor. In the absence of that, you need to realise that you can't control her actions - only yours. I think it would be a really good idea for you to read some books on any of the following subjects (do searches in amazon) :

Conflict resolution / difficult conversations / Listenning / assertiveness / negotiating / non-adversarial communication / verbal self-defense / empathy / awareness / self deception etc.

You of course dont' have to read ALL those categories...just know that all of those categories have many things in common - that could be watered down to : learning to understand yourself, and others...and communicating with respect, openness and self assurance.

I understand you may no longer wish to pursue this matter. Whether or not you do is something for you to work out. But even if you don't - learning about how to deal with difficult situations is always valuable (for both at home & at work)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:30 am
Wow - what a mess. And now there is a child involved.

I wonder why she wants you to STAY. If things are how you say, why would she want to live that way - and subject the child to all that? Is it strictly financial?

YOU are clearly not happy. So to not disrupt the baby's home, you should be the one to leave.

Even though you never married, you will be responsible for child support. You also should make sure that you have liberal visitation with your child. So talk to a lawyer and see what you are potentially getting into.

In the meantime, attending couples counseling will help you two talk rationally and without fighting. You may learn some things about her and yourself that you can't hear for all the fighting.

Good luck - your child should be the main concern here.
0 Replies