How do you like your eggs, eh?

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 02:45 pm
I was reading a Guardian article - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/20/the-only-4-spaghetti-recipes-you-will-ever-need-giorgio-locatelli - and was forced to disagree on one of them because of a lifelong fussyness about eggs. I only like them perfectly scrambled, my way or the highway, or in other cooking/baking recipes. Miss Fussy didn't like food that wiggled, a criterion that got less rigid as I got into my teens and older, except for my egg strangeness, which remains.

This brought back memories about a certain occasion of my dining at a co-worker's home, back when we both had beginners' lab tech jobs. She served spaghetti carbonara, which I detest with all my heart. I appreciated her friendship and didn't want to hurt her feelings. I ate it, and managed not to gag, and we still were pals.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 03:06 pm
I like eggs most ways they can be prepared. Just not with stuff like cheese, spinach and the like.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 03:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I like them over easy.

I also like omelettes, hard boiled, soft boiled and occasionally sunny side up (but only if the white has cooked to the point where, when it overlaps the edges of the yolk the white is done).

I cannot deal with poached eggs, they offend my good senses.

I become nauseous when scrambled eggs are out in front of me (this relates in part to a medical matter some years back).

Don't like deviled eggs either.

Eggs when used in a plate of matzo brei usually cheer me up (just don't pour catsup on them, as one friend did once).
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 03:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
My Hubby's a Chef and we disagree on the Carbonara, I make it like scrambled eggs throughout, runny there doesn't cut it for me.

But, I LOVE boiled eggs, with the yolk oozing, whilst I place my toasted "finger" into it.

I LOVE, cracking an egg into half a tomato, after cutting out some of the middle, and baking it for breakfast.

I LOVE scrambled eggs

I LOVE fried eggs with oozing yolk.

I LOVE them cooked well, then eaten cold, or take the yolk out and mix it with mustard and put it back in again, with mayo on the top.

I guess what I don't like is the whites of the eggs being runny.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:17 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
I guess what I don't like is the whites of the eggs being runny.

that's about it

I love eggs pretty much any way except with runny whites. I tend toward soft yolks, love love love soft poached but am also happy with hard-boiled, devilled, over-easy. I don't like them to be iron-hard but I'll eat them because they're eggs. Scrambled, ok, but I do prefer my eggs to be recognizably eggs if I'm doing a rating scale. I want to see the white and to be able to i.d. the yolk. Occasionally I'll sort of hard fry the white in butter, then add the yolk on the side to jusssst cook it - it's one of the only times I really want salt. Salt , butter, hard white, soft yolk. mmmm. Anchovies and caviar are decent subs for salt as is proscuitto.

Eggs from farms I know are best but really, eggs are just good all round.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:34 pm
A man at my wife's job has chickens at home. They produce far more eggs than he can use. He frequently gives a dozen at a time to us. I would love to visit these hens. Their eggs are varying colors and hues, some of which I'm not certain I have seen before. They are much better than store bought.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:38 pm
As kids in Evanston, we had a local mother who saved egg shells, and brought us into their house where we decorated them, and later planted them on trees...

I was only there a few years, but that neighbor opened my eyes.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Pysanky?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 06:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't get all this, but you know more.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I love eggs any possible way they can be cooked. Well maybe there's some way I haven't tried yet but if I do, I'm sure to like them!
I guess my favorite way is to scramble them, but in a very specific way:
I melt butter in a skillet, crack the eggs in without breaking the yolks, (usually three). Add a little salt and then wait until the whites are partially cooked before scrambling. I only just mix them, this way instead of a uniform yellow color I can see bits of white and bits of yellow. I take them off the heat while still a bit runny. Drool, drool! I'm making myself hungry.
We got some baby chicks in June and they are pretty big now. It'll be a couple more months before we get any eggs, but I'm looking forward to them! I kept chickens many years ago and really liked the flavor of the eggs. Free range chickens eat a wide variety of foods and their eggs tend to be more flavorful, the yolks a much deeper yellow.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
what is pysanky:
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:46 pm
@TomTomBinks,
listening to tom tom...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 08:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,

A pysanka (Ukrainian: писанка, plural: pysanky) is a Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with traditional Ukrainian folk designs using a wax-resist method. The word pysanka comes from the verb pysaty, "to write", as the designs are not painted on, but written with beeswax.

Pysanka - Wikipedia
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 09:55 pm
@roger,
Thanks
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I like eggs most ways they can be prepared.

You had me ... until...
Quote:
Just not with stuff like cheese, spinach and the like.

Eggs are a great vehicle to transport cheese (and spinach if said cheese is feta).
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 09:22 am
@tsarstepan,
There is no way to make most cheese dishes palatable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 09:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Find a Turkish restaurant - order a spinach and feta pide.

Enjoy!

http://english.turkishcookbook.com/2011/03/turkish-feta-cheese-pide.html

the best places break an egg on top and bake it in a pide oven

<thud>

so delicious
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:53 am
Breakfast pizza with eggs on top, made by Supino Pizzeria in Detroit, Mi at the Eastern Market.

Deviled eggs

Sunday morning scrambled eggs

I consider the egg the "perfect" food. I get cravings for egg on toast,,with the egg yolk still runny enough to cover the bread. Salt and pepper only - except that I have sprinkled rosemary on top once in a while.

What's the latest medical advice about eating eggs? There was a cholesterol scare for a while about eating too many eggs.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 12:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you for the Supino PIzzeria info. Yelp loves it. Their Bismarck looks amazing - a lot like pide. yum.

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/EDPoF5vFvpkchhBTTHeQKA/348s.jpg

cooked white, runny yolk

I'll have to check that out when I head that way again. I wish I'd known about it when I was doing my regular runs through Detroit.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 12:22 pm
How do you like your eggs?

Why, I like them very well.

No sir, I mean how do you like your eggs cooked?

Yes, cooked is better.

My waitresses put up with a lot.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you like your eggs, eh?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:47:13