IGUANA HELP...!

Seizan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2023 06:16 am
My son got his small green iguana about 1.5 years ago. She has grown to nearly 3 feet or so from nose to tail tip. She has been well-fed and cared-for. To our knowledge, she has never seen another iguana in the past year-plus since she left the shop.

Well, surprise surprise... Today she laid about a dozen or so eggs in a pile near the heater where she likes to hang out.

Is this a common thing? Are these eggs sterile, or do we have to do something special to allow them the best chance at hatching? What do we do, can we move the eggs, make a nest of some sort, what's the right action? And how in the world did this happen -- do some iguanas come able to reproduce without interaction with another iguana?

Someone with experience -- help...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 621 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 12:04 pm
@Seizan,
Everything I found on the Net said Iguanas lay eggs even when they are not fertile. Females will lay about 20 to 70 eggs per year once they reach sexual maturity.
Seizan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 02:57 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks! Last night my son called the pet shop and was told the same thing. I would have deleted the thread but I think I can't do that. We had never heard of such a thing before, and I wondered if iguana were able to reproduce via parthenogenesis. Fortunately for us, no.

It was a bit unsettling to think we might have 12 to 15 little baby iguanas running all over the house...

:-)
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2023 06:22 pm
@Seizan,
Actually they are like hens. You could boil those eggs and eat them. I am not kidding checkout "Catch em all fishing" where he hunted a live mother, and euthanize it, then boiled and eat the lizard. They are seen as a type of pesk, but yum.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » IGUANA HELP...!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:10:51