Justice Scalia and Originalism in Constitutional Interpretation

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Sure I have. I've provided two solid reasons that back what I say.
And so far no one has even attempted to challenge either of those reasons.
oralloy wrote:
Let's make it three reasons.
I have no idea why the third slipped my mind, as it is the most important distinction of the three.

Militiamen have the right to take their individual weapons (machine guns, grenades, bazookas, etc)
home with them when they are not on duty.

Note: keep and bear arms.

People in the National Guard, on the other hand, are not allowed
to bring their machine guns, grenades, and bazookas home with them.
Of course that is true (I refer to non-government militia),
but so does everyone else. (See textual analysis of professional grammarians.)

Fortuately, it is clear & explicit in HELLER that
the right to keep and bear arms is not related to membership in militia.
It is an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT.

It is NOT a matter of being "allowed".
That connotes government being a magnanimous decision-maker
who is willing to tolerate that. No. It is that government explicitly
has no authority to interfere in matters of personal armament
because it was never granted that authority and because
it was affirmatively DENIED that authority (one reason being
that the Creators of government, the citizens, reserved unto
themselves the power to fire their newly acquired employee.
The experience of actually DOING that was very fresh in their minds).

Arguably, concerning government-sponsored militia ("selected militia"),
using government property, the owner thereof was within its rights to lend
and take back its own property at will.

Qua "well regulated" militia (private militia, like volunteer fire dept.s)
obviously the militiamen owned their guns, as thay owned their shoes.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:30 pm

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to DENY jurisdiction, thereby defending personal FREEDOM instead.

The ABSENCE of heat is cold; the absence of jurisdiction is FREEDOM.

David
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
also, the second amendment doesnt confer a right, it recognizes one that already existed.

Does the 2nd amendment define "Arms" well enough to cover stuff like RPG's and flame throwers?
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

While everyone has the right to keep and bear arms, the Framers provided ample precedent for making everyone part of the militia as well.

Because of that, the government is within their rights to force anyone to be a militiaman.

And if they can force anyone to be a militiaman, they can force anyone who wants to exercise their right-to-have-military-weapons to be a militiaman.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

No. The word "keep" in keep and bear arms means that militiamen can take their individual weapons home with them.

National Guardsmen are not allowed to take their weapons home with them because the National Guard is a standing army and not a militia, at least as far as the Constitution is concerned.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Does the 2nd amendment define "Arms" well enough to cover stuff like RPG's and flame throwers?

It didn't define it at all.

But as far as weapons that militiamen had the right to take home with them vs. weapons that had to be left on base, that dividing line would be individual vs crew-served weapons.

Crew-served weapons can be required to be kept on base.

An individual weapon though can be taken home by the militiaman who operates it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 08:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
also, the second amendment doesnt confer a right, it recognizes one that already existed.
Yes, very true, confirming US v. CRUIKSHANK 92 US 542 (1875)
Thank u for pointing that out.

HELLER 554 US 290 (2008) is explicit in recognizing that.

farmerman wrote:
That is arguably uncertain; for now, anyway, relating to HELLER.
In HELLER that issue was not before the Court.
It was not in the allegations of the pleadings,
no evidence was taken on that point at trial,
and no one argued its merits nor shortcomings.

Among the reasons for preserving private militia
(remember: there were NO police,
neither in the USA, nor in England until the 18OOs)
was preserving the (very recently used) right of revolution
and the people had always been expected to take care of themselves,
either individually, or in armed groups (militia).

Qua what arms the people have rights to keep and bear,
the US Supreme Court said in US v. MILLER (1939) 3O7 US 174 that
they should be "ordinary military equipment ... AYMETTE v. STATE 2 Hump. [21 Tenn] 154, 158."
The AYMETTE case, which the USSC approvingly adopted declares:
"the arms, the right to keep which is secured, are such as are usually employed in civilized warfare,
and that constitute ordinary military equipment. If the citizens have these arms in their hands,
they are prepared in the best possible manner to repel any encroachments on their rights."

[All emfasis has been added by David.]
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:27 pm
@oralloy,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
While everyone has the right to keep and bear arms,
the Framers provided ample precedent for making everyone part of the militia as well.

Because of that, the government is within their rights to force anyone to be a militiaman.
Militia are an armed citizenry,
whether a government exists or not
(e.g., the Free French, or Mormons' militia, or Moslems' militia,
or Merchants' militia, during race riots, when police run away).
The rebels on board United Flight 93 on 9/11 who successfully counter-attacked the Moslems
were a de facto well regulated militia, tho it is very unlikely that any of them gave it any thought.
( Thay were armed with their food cart n any weapons that thay coud creatively employ. )

oralloy wrote:
And if they can force anyone to be a militiaman,
Its not a question of "FORCE"; it is an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that the armed people are the militia.
This refers to the people THEMSELVES, not to their damned hireling government.
That clearly does NOT refer to the militia of Article I Section 8,
who are very plainly government militia, not private militia,
(as distinct from the 2nd Amendment).

oralloy wrote:
they can force anyone who wants to exercise their right-to-have-military-weapons to be a militiaman.
U r referring to the need of conscription,
not to any person's desire to exercise his rights.
Obviously, that was urgently necessary, a matter of life-and-death
qua "the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare,
is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions." (Thomas Jefferson)

OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
No. The word "keep" in keep and bear arms means that militiamen
can take their individual weapons home with them.
OK; I 'll concede the point.

oralloy wrote:
National Guardsmen are not allowed to take their weapons home with them
because the National Guard is a standing army and not a militia, at least as far as the Constitution is concerned.
I 've seen a USSC case, whose name I don't recall,
that holds that the National Guard is not any militia mentioned in the Constitution.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:37 pm
@oralloy,
Dresden is not the topic here, however, i provided Air Force sources which showed both that the RAF did not bomb the city center, and that the USAAF ordnance mix was that developed by the RAF earlier in the war to cause fire storms. Furthermore, i provided sources that the USAAF bombing did start a fire storm, and some of those witnesses were American POWs. That you deny something does not constitute evidence that it is not true. I've repeatedly shown you to be wrong about that.

Your argument about going overseas is silly. Article One, Section Eight does not say that those are the only uses for the militia, nor does it say that the militia may not be used outside the United States. Article One, Section Nine, Limits on Congress, does not mention either of your ideosyncratic objections. You may not like it, but that means nothing constitutionally. Nor does the constitution prohibit members of the militia from serving in the regular armed forces, and the Dick Act provides for an unorganizedd militia.

You have claimed that there is no militia as mentioned in the first clause of the second amendment--not proven. Not even close.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
But as far as weapons that militiamen had the right to take home with them vs. weapons that had to be left on base, that dividing line would be individual vs crew-served weapons.

So, since a suitcase nuke can be carried by one person, it could be taken home.

Or are you going to change your mind again?
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The rebels on board United Flight 93 on 9/11 who successfully counter-attacked the Moslems
were a de facto well regulated militia, tho it is very unlikely that any of them gave it any thought.
( Thay were armed with their food cart n any weapons that thay coud creatively employ. )

Well-regulated militia refers to a militia that has trained to the extent that they can fight as a coordinated body instead of as an uncoordinated bunch of individuals.

Note the way Alexander Hamilton used the term in Federalist 29, when he argued for a select militia because they would receive greater training:

Quote:
The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/histdox/fed_29.html

The people in the plane likely had no training, and certainly not with each other, so they would not have counted as well-regulated.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
they can force anyone who wants to exercise their right-to-have-military-weapons to be a militiaman.

is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions." (Thomas Jefferson)

Yes. The Founding Fathers conscripted the entire populace into the militia.

Based on that precedent, the government could justify conscripting into the militia anyone who chose to own military weapons.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Dresden is not the topic here, however, i provided Air Force sources which showed both that the RAF did not bomb the city center,

That the RAF bombed the Dresden city center is one of the most attested facts of WWII.

Setanta wrote:
and that the USAAF ordnance mix was that developed by the RAF earlier in the war to cause fire storms.

True that it was the same ordinance mix. Doesn't change the fact that the US was targeting the railyards, as opposed to the UK's spreading incendiaries throughout the city center.

Setanta wrote:
Furthermore, i provided sources that the USAAF bombing did start a fire storm, and some of those witnesses were American POWs.

Those witnesses were talking about the firestorm started by the UK.

Setanta wrote:
Article One, Section Eight does not say that those are the only uses for the militia,

On the contrary, that is exactly what it says. The federal government is only authorized to do things that the Constitution specifically authorizes it to do. By specifically authorizing those three things, all other uses are barred (at least to the feds, potentially state governments could find other uses within their state borders, though I don't know what they might be).

Setanta wrote:
nor does it say that the militia may not be used outside the United States.

Well, it is a bit difficult to see much overseas role for any of the three authorized federal uses for the militia.

And the overseas role currently played by the National Guard is certainly nothing like the three authorized federal uses.

Setanta wrote:
Article One, Section Nine, Limits on Congress, does not mention either of your ideosyncratic objections. You may not like it, but that means nothing constitutionally.

I don't believe I've ever cited Article I Section 9.

Setanta wrote:
Nor does the constitution prohibit members of the militia from serving in the regular armed forces,

The entire intent of the Framers regarding the militia was to make a standing army unnecessary.

The notion that members of the standing army would be considered the militia is contrary to everything the Constitution intends.

Setanta wrote:
and the Dick Act provides for an unorganizedd militia.

True, but irrelevant.

Is the Dick Act where state guards are authorized? That would be a bit more relevant.

Setanta wrote:
You have claimed that there is no militia as mentioned in the first clause of the second amendment--not proven. Not even close.

There is a third way the National Guard fails to meet the qualifications of a militia for Constitutional purposes. Militiamen have the right to take their machine guns and grenades home with them. Guardsmen are not allowed to do that.

I'm not sure why I forgot that one before, as I consider it the most important distinction of all. Anyway, I remembered it.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So, since a suitcase nuke can be carried by one person, it could be taken home.

I'm not sure that means it isn't a crew-served weapon though.

More to the point, I still don't see any militia use for such a device. If you really want to argue for militia nuclear weapons, you might be better off pressing for a modern version of the Lance missile, or some sort of nuclear tipped anti-ship missile.

parados wrote:
Or are you going to change your mind again?

Again??? Where am I supposed to have changed my mind in the first place?

In any case, I do reserve the right to change my mind.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:11 am
@oralloy,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Concerning militia, the critical criterion
is whether thay r private militia, formerly called "well regulated militia"
or
whether thay r government sponsored militia, formerly called "selected militia".
( In theory, the 2 militia might go to war against one another. )

The militia of Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution r very obviously selected militia.

That does not apply to the militia of the 2nd Amendment.

David
oralloy wrote:
Select militia was a militia where only part of the populace participated.
True -- the part SELECTED by some government.
It was as close as thay got back then to a police dept.

oralloy wrote:
The opposite of a select militia was a general militia, where the entire populace participated.

Both kinds were government sponsored.
By your reasoning, the nazis' S.A. were not militia??????
During the Weimar Republic, thay numbered in the MILLIONS,
and were loyal to a political party, whereas the German Army had 100,000 men,
being limited by the Treaty of Versailles.

Permit me to offer the comments of Stephen P. Halbrook, Esq. and his quotes
of Andrew Fletcher in his A Discourse of Government With Relation to Militias of 1698.
( Dr. Halbrook is an eminent scholar of constitutional history
and has been very successful as a trial attorney in defending the right to KABA.
The USSC cited to his authority quite a few times, in HELLER.)
Excerpted from That Every Man Be Armed (U. of N.M. Press 1984) by Halbrook:

He quotes Fletcher's lamentation:
"We have quitted our ancient security, and put the militia into the power of the King."
Fletcher described a militia not subject to the authority of the chief executive as a "well-regulated" militia.
" Let us now consider whether we may not be able to defend ourselves by well-regulated militias
against any foreign force, though never so formidable: that these nations may be free from the fears
of invasion from abroad, as well as from the danger of slavery at home."

A Discourse of Government With Relation to Militias of 1698

All emfasis has been added by David.

oralloy wrote:
"Well-regulated militia" meant something entirely different. That was a term for a militia that had trained to the extent that they could fight as a coherent unit instead of as a bunch of uncoordinated individuals.

Note the way Alexander Hamilton used the term in Federalist 29, when he argued for a select militia because they would receive greater training:

Quote:
The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.

Yes, Oralloy. I am familiar with that passage.
It is TRUE, but that is only part of the concept, a very old concept.

Oralloy, will u acknowledge that if a government collapses, ends and becomes extinct,
that the citizens, who remain alive, can arm themselves and act as a group ?
Thay are militia (even if thay number fewer than 1,OOO).
Thay are NOT government sponsored militia.
Thay are volunteers, the same as a volunteer fire dept. or a volunteer library,
or a volunteer fine dining club.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:56 am
@oralloy,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Well-regulated militia refers to a militia that has trained to the extent that they can fight
as a coordinated body instead of as an uncoordinated bunch of individuals.
That is only a fragment
of the concept, distinguishing them from selected militia.
Thay were the militia because thay were THE BODY POLITIC up there,
and thay were free of control of any government.
Thay were trained enuf to get the job done.
( I remain very aware that thay had NO training, but that was enuf. Thay won.)

oralloy wrote:
Note the way Alexander Hamilton used the term in Federalist 29,
when he argued for a select militia because they would receive greater training:

Quote:

The people in the plane likely had no training, and certainly not
with each other, so they would not have counted as well-regulated.
Well enuf to get the job successfully done.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:

oralloy wrote:
The entire populace was ALREADY the militia,
before any conscripting got done.
Thay did not need any GOVERNMENT to make them the militia.

( However, the armed body of the entire populace
CAN create a government, if it feels like it
and later it can uncreate it. )

oralloy wrote:
Based on that precedent, the government could justify conscripting into the militia
anyone who chose to own military weapons.
Y the qualifier, Oralloy??
Under the War Power (Article 1 Section 8) Congress can conscript ANYONE, regardless of his choices.
Not even fanatically pacifistic little girls nor old ladies r safe from that.
Their immunity has been found in the discretion of Congressional statute.
( I shud recognize that some libertarians have rejected the notion
that the War Power includes the power of military conscription. )
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 03:35 am
@oralloy,
There is not only no evidence that the RAF fire bombed the city center of Dresden, U. S. Air Force documents, which i linked, clearly stated that that was done by the USAAF. The RAF bombed at night, the firestorm referred to by the witnesses took place in the day time. Firestorms have a short life, conditioned by the amount of oxygen available in the area of their effect.

Once again, you ideosyncratic interpretation of the constitution is meaningless. Were one to follow what you allege to be the constraints on the Congress, it would be virtually powerless, because detailed, specific powers are not explicitly granted to it. Regardless of what you allege, that is not the case, nor the interpretation of the courts. That, of course, disposes of your other objections about overseas service. No such objection was raised by anyone during the War of 1812, when militia were used to invade Canada, including by those opposed to "Mr. Madison's War."

I am not limited in my arguments to what you mention. I mentioned Article One, Section Nine, because it contains no references to the objections you make.

Your comments about what the constituion intends are meaningless as well. As i've already pointed out, i have no reason to consider you a constitutional scholar, and i will add to consider you an authority in the matter. As well, that the National Guard cannot take grenades home with them is not relevant. You have failed to make your case, which is predicated upon an authority in your statements which i have no good reason to assume you possess.
oralloy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 04:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The entire populace was ALREADY the militia,
before any conscripting got done.
Thay did not need any GOVERNMENT to make them the militia.

They were not part of the militia referred to in the Constitution (that militia being a specific body organized by the government) until the government made them part of it.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Based on that precedent, the government could justify conscripting into the militia
anyone who chose to own military weapons.

Y the qualifier, Oralloy??

Because I can find no argument that it is illegitimate for the government to do it (especially with the precedent set by the framers conscripting the entire populace), and therefore I have to accept that it would be legitimate.

I'd love to defend the right of non-militia-members to have military weapons, but so long as the government has the legitimate power to conscript everyone with military weapons into the militia, it seems a little pointless to argue it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 04:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Permit me to offer the comments of Stephen P. Halbrook, Esq. and his quotes
of Andrew Fletcher in his A Discourse of Government With Relation to Militias of 1698.
( Dr. Halbrook is an eminent scholar of constitutional history
and has been very successful as a trial attorney in defending the right to KABA.
The USSC cited to his authority quite a few times, in HELLER.)
Excerpted from That Every Man Be Armed (U. of N.M. Press 1984) by Halbrook:

He quotes Fletcher's lamentation:
"We have quitted our ancient security, and put the militia into the power of the King."
Fletcher described a militia not subject to the authority of the chief executive as a "well-regulated" militia.
" Let us now consider whether we may not be able to defend ourselves by well-regulated militias
against any foreign force, though never so formidable: that these nations may be free from the fears
of invasion from abroad, as well as from the danger of slavery at home."

A Discourse of Government With Relation to Militias of 1698

All emfasis has been added by David.

Here is a fuller quote:

Quote:
The subjects formerly had a real security for their liberty, by having the sword in their own hands. That security, which is the greatest of all others, is lost; and not only so, but the sword is put into the hand of the king by his power over the militia. All this is not enough; but we must have in both kingdoms standing armies of mercenaries, who for the most part have no other way to subsist, and consequently are capable to execute any commands: and yet every man must think his liberties as safe as ever, under pain of being thought disaffected to the monarchy. But sure it must not be the ancient limited and legal monarchies of Scotland and England that these gentlemen mean. It must be a French fashion of monarchy, where the king has power to do what he pleases, and the people no security for anything they possess. We have quitted our ancient security, and put the militia into the power of the king. The only remaining security we have is, that no standing armies were ever yet allowed in time of peace, the parliament of England having so often and so expressly declared them to be contrary to law: and that of Scotland having not only declared them to be a grievance, but made the keeping them up an article in the forfeiture of the late King James. If a standing army be allowed, what difference will there be between the government we shall then live under, and any kind of government under a good prince? Of which there have been some in the most despotic tyrannies. If these be limited and not absolute monarchies, then, as there are conditions, so there ought to be securities on both sides. The barons never pretended that their militias should be constantly on foot, and together in bodies in times of peace. It is evident that would have subverted the constitution, and made every one of them a petty tyrant. And it is as evident, that standing forces are the fittest instruments to make a tyrant. Whoever is for making the king's power too great or too little, is an enemy to the monarchy. But to give him standing armies, puts his power beyond control, and consequently makes him absolute. If the people had any other real security for their liberty than that there be no standing armies in time of peace, there might be some colour to demand them. But if that only remaining security be taken away from the people, we have destroyed these monarchies.

It is pretended we are in hazard of being invaded by a powerful enemy; shall we therefore destroy our government? What is it then (p.16)that we would defend? Is it our persons, by the ruin of our government? in what then shall we be gainers? In saving our lives by the loss of our liberties? if our pleasures and luxury make us live like brutes, it seems we must not pretend to reason any better than they. I would fain know, if there be any other way of making a prince absolute, than by allowing him a standing army: if by it all princes have not been made absolute; if without it, any. Whether our enemies shall conquer us is uncertain; but whether standing armies will enslave us, neither reason nor experience will suffer us to doubt. It is therefore evident that no pretence of danger from abroad can be an argument to keep up standing armies or any mercenary forces.

Let us now consider whether we may not be able to defend ourselves by well-regulated militias against any foreign force, though never so formidable: that these nations may be free from the fears of invasion from abroad, as well as from the danger of slavery at home.

After the barons had lost the military service of their vassals, militias of some kind or other were established in most parts of Europe. But the prince having everywhere the power of naming and preferring the officers of these militias, they could be no balance in government as the former were. And he that will consider what has been said in this discourse, will easily perceive that the essential quality requisite to such a militia, as might fully answer the ends of the former, must be, that the officers should be named and preferred, as well as they and the soldiers paid, by the people that set them out. So that if princes look upon the present militias as not capable of defending a nation against foreign armies, the people have little reason to entrust them with the defence of their liberties.

And though upon the dissolution of that ancient militia under the barons, which made these nations so great and glorious, by setting up militias generally through Europe, the sword came not into the hands of the Commons, which was the only thing could have continued the former balance of government, but was everywhere put into the hands of the king: nevertheless ambitious princes, who aimed at absolute power, thinking they could never use it effectually to that end, unless it were wielded by mercenaries, and men that had no other interest in the commonwealth than their pay, have still endeavoured by all means to discredit militias, and render them burdensome to the people, by never suffering them to be upon any right, or so much as tolerable foot, and all to persuade the necessity of standing forces. And indeed (p.17)they have succeeded too well in this design: for the greatest part of the world has been fooled into an opinion that a militia cannot be made serviceable. I shall not say it was only militias could conquer the world; and that princes to have succeeded fully in the design before-mentioned must have destroyed all the history and memory of ancient governments, where the accounts of so many excellent models of militia are yet extant. I know the prejudice and ignorance of the world concerning the art of war, as it was practised by the ancients; though what remains of that knowledge in their writings be sufficient to give a mean opinion of the modem discipline. For this reason I shall examine, by what has passed of late years in these nations, whether experience have convinced us, that officers bred in foreign wars, be so far preferable to others who have been under no other discipline than that of an ordinary and ill-regulated militia; and if the commonalty of both kingdoms, at their first entrance upon service, be not as capable of a resolute military action, as any standing forces. This doubt will be fully resolved, by considering the actions of the marquis of Montrose, which may be compared, all circumstances considered, with those of Caesar, as well for the military skill, as the bad tendency of them; though the marquis had never served abroad, nor seen any action, before the six victories, which, with numbers much inferior to those of his enemies, he obtained in one year; and the most considerable of them were chiefly gained by the assistance of the tenants and vassals of the family of Gordon. The battle of Naseby will be a farther illustration of this matter, which is generally thought to have been the deciding action of the late civil war. The number of forces was equal on both sides; nor was there any advantage in the ground, or extraordinary accident that happened during the fight, which could be of considerable importance to either. In the army of the parliament, nine only of the officers had served abroad, and most of the soldiers were apprentices drawn out of London but two months before. In the king's army there were above a thousand officers that had served in foreign parts: yet was that army routed and broken by those new-raised apprentices; who were observed to be obedient to command, and brave in fight; not only in that action, but on all occasions during that active campaign. The people of these nations are not a dastardly crew, like those born in misery under oppression and slavery, who must have time to rub off that fear, cowardice, and stupidity which they bring from home. And though officers seem to stand in more need of experience than private soldiers; yet in that battle it was seen that the sobriety and (p.18)principle of the officers on the one side, prevailed over the experience of those on the other.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/fletcher.asp

When the author talks of putting the militia in the hands of the king, he is referring to all militia. (The author clearly thinks this is a bad idea, but he does not say there is any militia not under the control of the king.)

The author then goes on to say that even though the king controls all of the militia, that is still not enough power for the king, who is undercutting the militia in order to justify a standing army.

The author's main point is that the militia is not as inept as the king is making it out to be, is well-able to mount an effective defense, and therefore there is no need to have a standing army.

The author's use of the terms "well-regulated militia" and "ill-regulated militia" both seem to relate to the degree of fighting skill of the militia.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Oralloy, will u acknowledge that if a government collapses, ends and becomes extinct,
that the citizens, who remain alive, can arm themselves and act as a group ?

Yes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
There is not only no evidence that the RAF fire bombed the city center of Dresden,

Yes there is. It is one of the most attested events of WWII.

Setanta wrote:
U. S. Air Force documents, which i linked, clearly stated that that was done by the USAAF. The RAF bombed at night, the firestorm referred to by the witnesses took place in the day time. Firestorms have a short life, conditioned by the amount of oxygen available in the area of their effect.

Firestorms burn until they have consumed 100% of the fuel that is available for them to consume. Oxygen is no limitation because firestorms pull in oxygen from adjacent areas.

Setanta wrote:
Once again, you ideosyncratic interpretation of the constitution is meaningless. Were one to follow what you allege to be the constraints on the Congress, it would be virtually powerless, because detailed, specific powers are not explicitly granted to it. Regardless of what you allege, that is not the case, nor the interpretation of the courts.

My pointing out the fundamental fabric of the Constitution, which the Framers clearly and unambiguously established, is hardly idiosyncratic.

And it is indeed the interpretation of the courts (given the fact that the Framers were so clear on the matter, it could not be otherwise). That is why Congress always justifies a law by claiming the law relates to one of the areas that the Constitution explicitly gives them permission to act in, and it is why the courts often have to consider challenges over whether a law is legitimately in an area that Congress has authority over.

It is why, when Prohibition was passed, it had to be done with a constitutional amendment instead of just being another statute from Congress. Congress was never given authority over the matter, and therefore had no power to pass such a law prior to the amendment being passed.

It doesn't make Congress powerless. It just restricts their power to certain areas.

Setanta wrote:
No such objection was raised by anyone during the War of 1812, when militia were used to invade Canada, including by those opposed to "Mr. Madison's War."

The entire state governments of both Massachusetts and Connecticut (not just the governors and state legislators, but also the state courts) refused to send any militia from those states, and they based their justification primarily on that very reason.

Setanta wrote:
As well, that the National Guard cannot take grenades home with them is not relevant.

Wrong. The Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms, not just to bear arms.

If the National Guard were a militia for Constitutional purposes, that word "keep" would apply to them and they'd have the right to take their individual weapons home with them.

Setanta wrote:
You have failed to make your case,

Wrong. If the National Guard were the militia, they would not just have the right to bear arms. They would also have the right to keep arms.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:24 am

I 've seen a case from the USSC (whose name I don't remember)
holding that the National Guard is not
a militia, within the Constitutional intendment.
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 03:33 am
@oralloy,
Essentially, your argument for your claims about Dresden is "because i so." I've already provided my sources elsewhere, and i'm not going to waste my time repeating them, because your response is your typical rhetorical last resort, which is "nope," as though you are an authority, which you are not.

The same applies to your claim about a militia. The second amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms, but it doesn't require Congress to provide the arms. So what if members of the National Guard can't take grenades home? The second amendment does not require the government to arm the militia. Article One, Section Eight gives the Congress the power to provide for arming the militia, it does not require them to do so. In fact, the evidence i have seen is that the government produced over 800,000 stand of muskets and rifled muskets before 1861--but they didn't just hand them out, they reposed them in armories across the country.

While it is true that on several occasions, state militias have refused to serve outside their state boundaries (and have done so selectively, not as a principle), that is not evidence of any constitutional principle. It is simply evidence of how worthless the militia is as a military force. As with that nonsense about taking weapons home, if you had a case, you'd have judicial precedents to cite. So long as you do not do so, i have no reason to take your claims seriously.

You have failed make your case. Saying that you have, without any supporting evidence, does not make it so.