Justice Scalia and Originalism in Constitutional Interpretation

Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:10 pm
@High Seas,
In the case of Scott v. Sanford, though, the changing norms were enacted by Congress and the States. The role of the Taney court was to decide, correctly, that the original constitution had no problem with slavery. I never understood why people think Scott v. Sanford teaches us about the perils of activist judges. If anything, it teaches us about the perils of bad constitutions. And the original constitution, contrary to the civil religion surrounding it today, deprived many million Americans of justice and humanity.
oralloy

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The United States does have a militia--two, in fact. The organized militia--the National Guard--and the unorganized militia, everybody else. Read about the efficiency of the militia bill, 1903.

Wrong. Neither the National Guard nor the "unorganized militia" count as a militia for Constitutional purposes.

The National Guard fails because their members have to also join the US Army, and because they can be required to serve outside US territory. A militia that met the requirements of the US Constitution could do neither.

The unorganized militia fails because it is neither armed nor organized into any kind of fighting body.

State guards would count if they were actually armed. But the fact that they tend to be unarmed bodies, where they even exist, tends to make them not count either.

Setanta wrote:
Just because you are ignorant of something (and you are ignorant of so much) is not evidence that a subject has not been addressed.

All humans are ignorant of many things.

I possess no ignorance on this particular subject.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:39 pm

Concerning militia, the critical criterion
is whether thay r private militia, formerly called "well regulated militia"
or
whether thay r government sponsored militia, formerly called "selected militia".
( In theory, the 2 militia might go to war against one another. )

The militia of Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution r very obviously selected militia.

That does not apply to the militia of the 2nd Amendment.

David
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:58 pm
@oralloy,
Little Miss Can't Be Wrong--your personal and ideosyncratic interpretation is meaningless. The United States has militia, and statutory provision for militia--whether or not you approve is beside the point.
oralloy

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Little Miss Can't Be Wrong--

The fact that you've never been able to show me to be wrong on a single issue doesn't mean I can't be wrong. (However, the odds of me being wrong on this issue, are pretty unlikely. If you're ever going to find a place where I am wrong, this isn't going to be it.)

Setanta wrote:
your personal and ideosyncratic interpretation is meaningless.

Referring to the fundamental meaning of the US Constitution as "my personal interpretation" does not make it meaningless.

There is nothing even remotely idiosyncratic about pointing out basic and well-known truths about what the Framers intended of the militia.

Setanta wrote:
The United States has militia,

Not in a Constitutional sense they don't.

Setanta wrote:
and statutory provision for militia--whether or not you approve is beside the point.

Indeed. The point is that your claims are completely untrue.

You are of course free to ignore everything that the Constitution says. But ignoring the Constitution doesn't actually change what it says.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 01:04 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Justice Scalia is very smart, even though I disagree with a lot of his decisions.

They should have asked him about his views on Creationism in Science Classes. As good as he is with legal president, he appears to be ignorant of basic biological science, so that would be a good place to start picking apart some of the methodology that he uses to make decisions (in particular cases).
He might not wanna answer,
in recognition of the possibility
that the issue will come b4 the USSC.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:01 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The founders put nine people on the court. That alone implies that
they knew the constitution would have to be interpreted, making the
interpreters themselves an active part of founding law. It gave life to the document.

I don't think Scalia's argument for "original intent" is a pure argument
without recognizing that he doesn't sit alone on the bench, and that was be design.
The ONLY proper way to change the Constitution's original intendment is by its Article 5,
not by anyone telling lies about it.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:07 am
@oralloy,
I've shown you to be wrong on numerous occasions--that you won't ever admit that you have been wrong is not evidence that you haven't. I know of no reason to consider you a constitutional scholar, and i see no reason to accept your silly claims about whether or not the Dick Act is constitutional. Once again, you making a claim that you are right in contradiction of the Congress is not evidecne that you are in fact right.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:15 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
In the case of Scott v. Sanford, though, the changing norms were enacted by Congress and the States.
The role of the Taney court was to decide, correctly, that the original constitution had no problem with slavery.
U r ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, Tom.
That decision was the result of an extremely clear Constituional mandate.
Article 4 Section 2 said:
" No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof,
escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein,
be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up
on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due. "
The USSC simply did its job; no room for controversy.

Thomas wrote:
I never understood why people think Scott v. Sanford teaches us about the perils of activist judges.
Thay were not activists.

Thomas wrote:
If anything, it teaches us about the perils of bad constitutions. . . .
Compromises were made; thay wanted to get as many States as possible to join up.
Even in the North, slavery had been legal, early enuf into American history.

David

Thomas

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 05:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Compromises were made; thay wanted to get as many States as possible to join up.

That's my point. Americans don't "pledge allegiance to the American flag, and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under god, with as many states in it as possible, in which compromises were made." Which would be the correct thing to say.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:51 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thomas wrote:

That's my point.
Ergo, I said: "U r ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, Tom."

Thomas wrote:
Americans don't "pledge allegiance to the American flag, and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under god, with as many states in it as possible, in which compromises were made." Which would be the correct thing to say.
It woud have been, if u had capitalized God 's name.

David
wandeljw

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Americans don't "pledge allegiance to the American flag, and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under god, with as many states in it as possible, in which compromises were made." Which would be the correct thing to say.
It woud have been, if u had capitalized God 's name.

Yeah! What's your problem, Thomas?

Seriously, I appreciate the excellent discussion going on. All of the posters have made this thread much more productive than I thought it would be.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Concerning militia, the critical criterion
is whether thay r private militia, formerly called "well regulated militia"
or
whether thay r government sponsored militia, formerly called "selected militia".
( In theory, the 2 militia might go to war against one another. )

The militia of Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution r very obviously selected militia.

That does not apply to the militia of the 2nd Amendment.

David

Select militia was a militia where only part of the populace participated.

The opposite of a select militia was a general militia, where the entire populace participated.

Both kinds were government sponsored.

"Well-regulated militia" meant something entirely different. That was a term for a militia that had trained to the extent that they could fight as a coherent unit instead of as a bunch of uncoordinated individuals.

Note the way Alexander Hamilton used the term in Federalist 29, when he argued for a select militia because they would receive greater training:

Quote:
The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/histdox/fed_29.html
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've shown you to be wrong on numerous occasions--that you won't ever admit that you have been wrong is not evidence that you haven't.

Funny how you can never cite any of these imagined instances.

Setanta wrote:
I know of no reason to consider you a constitutional scholar, and i see no reason to accept your silly claims about whether or not the Dick Act is constitutional. Once again, you making a claim that you are right in contradiction of the Congress is not evidecne that you are in fact right.

I don't believe I've said anything about whether the Dick Act is constitutional or not.

The fact that the National Guard does not count as the militia of the Constitution does not mean there is any prohibition against having the National Guard. The Constitution allows standing armies provided they receive Congressional authorization every two years.

I am also not aware of any supposed contradiction between me and Congress. Has Congress tried to pretend that the National Guard satisfies Article I Section 8 and the Second Amendment so far as the militia is concerned? I'd be very surprised if they made such a strange claim.
Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:37 am
@oralloy,
I've repeatedly cited the bombing of Dresden by the USAAF, and have linked sources to support my position. Your response, typical of your rhetorical skills, is just to say "nope," as though you are some recognized authority--which, of course, you are not. I've pointed this out again and again, so there is no "funny" case of me being unable to point out such cases.

oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
So you think I can legally posses Stinger missiles under the 2nd amendment?
And I can also possess a suitcase nuke?

Well, if we could get the government to obey the first half of the Second Amendment and have a militia as they are required to have, if you joined that militia you'd certainly have the right to have Stinger missiles.

What use would a militia have for a suitcase nuke? (emphasis added)

So, i pointed out that the United States does have a militia, in fact, both an organized and an unorganized militia. I then linked information on the Dick Act and militia in the United States. To which you replied:

oralloy wrote:
Wrong. Neither the National Guard nor the "unorganized militia" count as a militia for Constitutional purposes.

As the authority for the organized and the unorganized militia is the Dick Act, you clearly do not consider the Dick Act to pass constitutional muster. Not that you offer anything more than an ideosyncratic set of claims for that, but i'm used to that.

These are the only two mentions of militia in Article One, Section Eight:

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

I see no reason to fall in with your silly claim about the constitution. Clearly, these two portions of Article One, Section Eight assume that a militia exists. It also clearly gives Congress the power to provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia. You have offered no reasonable argument that the Dick Act does not meet these criteria, or that the National Guard does not constitute the militia. Basically, it appears that you are ranting from some patisan, polemical position, but from no logical position. You certainly have not made your case.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've repeatedly cited the bombing of Dresden by the USAAF, and have linked sources to support my position. Your response, typical of your rhetorical skills, is just to say "nope," as though you are some recognized authority--which, of course, you are not. I've pointed this out again and again, so there is no "funny" case of me being unable to point out such cases.

I did not say the US never bombed Dresden.

I said the US was trying to get their bombs on a legitimate target (the railyards), as opposed to the UK's tactic of spreading incendiaries throughout the city center.

And I said the US had nothing to do with the firestorm that the UK bombers started.

And I referred to at least one source. Maybe more than one, but it's been some years so I don't remember the details.

So, no. There is no case of you having ever proven me wrong.

Setanta wrote:
As the authority for the organized and the unorganized militia is the Dick Act, you clearly do not consider the Dick Act to pass constitutional muster.

I see nothing unconstitutional about the Dick Act.

I have not considered the matter in depth, but the Constitution does allow for a standing army like the National Guard, so long as it is renewed every two years.

Setanta wrote:
These are the only two mentions of militia in Article One, Section Eight:

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

I see no reason to fall in with your silly claim about the constitution.

Pointing out what the Constitution says is hardly silly.

Thanks for quoting the part that backs one of my points. Note that the three authorized federal uses for the militia (execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions) does not include serving overseas.

Setanta wrote:
Clearly, these two portions of Article One, Section Eight assume that a militia exists. It also clearly gives Congress the power to provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia. You have offered no reasonable argument that the Dick Act does not meet these criteria, or that the National Guard does not constitute the militia.

Yes I have. I offered two very good reasons.

First, members of the National Guard are also members of the US Army.

And second, the National Guard serves overseas.

Setanta wrote:
Basically, it appears that you are ranting from some patisan, polemical position, but from no logical position.

No, it appears that I've made two valid points about what the Constitution says.

Setanta wrote:
You certainly have not made your case.

Sure I have. I've provided two solid reasons that back what I say. And so far no one has even attempted to challenge either of those reasons.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:27 pm
@oralloy,
Does a militia have a role similar to the military?

A small nuclear device can be used as a deterrent can it not? Shouldn't a militia be allowed defensive weapons? If the adult population is not the militia then aren't you arguing that the USSC ruling is all wrong?
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Does a militia have a role similar to the military?

Sort of, but there are some differences. The militia is limited to these three areas of activities: "executing the laws of the union, suppressing insurrections, and repelling invasions".

parados wrote:
A small nuclear device can be used as a deterrent can it not? Shouldn't a militia be allowed defensive weapons?

A deterrent against who or what?

Anyway, I don't think deterrence is a particularly good fit for either militias or for suitcase nukes (which would have to be carried to the target and left in place).

I believe the closest thing to suitcase nukes in the NATO arsenal were the demolition munitions. I haven't given a lot of thought to how they would have been used before now. Based on the name "demolition munitions" I speculate that they would have been used to destroy structures in territory that was being retreated from (presumably timed to go off after the retreat but before the enemy could arrive to disarm them).

To me that doesn't seem like a particularly great weapon.

If I were setting up a proper militia to defend the US, I'd give them an air-wing with lots of F-22 and F-35 fighter jets, and have those be the primary means of destroying invading armies.

I'd equip the militia ground forces with Abrams tanks to mop up whatever survived the air bombardment.

That sounds like it would be a much more effective defense than using suitcase nukes to blow everything up in front of an advancing enemy.

parados wrote:
If the adult population is not the militia then aren't you arguing that the USSC ruling is all wrong?

Yes. They are creating all sorts of logical problems by recognizing *only* the self-defense right, while ignoring the militia aspects of the right. In order to justify that, they had to twist a lot of stuff to explain why the militia language refers to weapons suitable for self defense, but not to weapons suitable for militia use.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:15 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Sure I have. I've provided two solid reasons that back what I say. And so far no one has even attempted to challenge either of those reasons.

Let's make it three reasons. I have no idea why the third slipped my mind, as it is the most important distinction of the three.

Militiamen have the right to take their individual weapons (machine guns, grenades, bazookas, etc) home with them when they are not on duty.

Note: keep and bear arms.

People in the National Guard, on the other hand, are not allowed to bring their machine guns, grenades, and bazookas home with them.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
If the adult population is not the militia then aren't you arguing that the USSC ruling is all wrong?

Yes. They are creating all sorts of logical problems by recognizing *only* the self-defense right, while ignoring the militia aspects of the right. In order to justify that, they had to twist a lot of stuff to explain why the militia language refers to weapons suitable for self defense, but not to weapons suitable for militia use.

Actually, there might be some confusion. I do have reservations about the ruling, but I do not object to the idea of having the militia be the entire adult population.

I think it would be great if machine guns and bazookas were kept in every home in America.
0 Replies