what's the meaning of "a touch of the vapours"?

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:35 pm
Roley glanced over her shoulder at the weeping Sister Rosemary
being urged to hurry along by the mother superior and two whiteveiled
novices. ‘Looks like she’s having a touch of the vapours,’ she
diagnosed. ‘Everybody knows she’s terrified of everything in the whole
world. I expect she’ll be praying like mad all the way to Shillong and
worrying at her rosary until the cross falls off again.’
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 7,861 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:49 pm
@kkfengdao,
Quote:
In the Victorian era, a wide variety of conditions which primarily affected women were referred to as “the vapors.” Women were viewed as fundamentally weak during this period, and they were also believed to be more susceptible to a range of medical complaints. The stereotypical Victorian image of a woman swooning against a couch is a classic depiction of a woman who has been overcome by the vapors. Currently, the vapors are not recognized as a medical diagnosis.

The origins of this term lie in Ancient Greece and Rome, where doctors developed the Four Humors theory of medicine, which stated that the body was influenced by the balance of four “humors” seated in various organs of the body. Imbalances could theoretically cause ill health, and by determining the source of the imbalance, doctors could prescribe the appropriate treatment. Doctors in the Victorian era believed that melancholy feelings had their roots in the spleen, and that they rose up through the body in the form of vapors which affected the mind.

While this might sound ludicrous today, this was widely accepted, and reinforced by claims that women were more susceptible to the vapors than men due to irregularities of their anatomy. The Greeks called it “female hysteria,” while the Victorians preferred “the vapors.” In either case, the condition added to the mystery of the “female condition,” and in some cases, the diagnosis hampered serious treatment of medical conditions like vaginal fistulas, a common complaint among Victorian mothers.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-were-the-vapors.htm
dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:51 pm
@dlowan,
" A touch of" usually means a slight case of...not severe.

"I have a touch of a cold" "I have a touch of fever".
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:36 am
@dlowan,
I've also heard that many cases of 'the vapors' were due to overly tight corsetts.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 07:24 am
This is one of my mother's favorite Irish expressions- any time someone felt "faint" it was always a "touch of the vapors." It covered a lot of female behaviors in our family.

We also had people in our family suffer from "Virus Stroh's".

0 Replies