Spam - email account - hacking

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:44 am
Obviously, some dozens of spam-emails have been send with my email-address as sender.

I got one myself ... plus 48 "non-delivery" messages.

I can't imagine how this happened, since I don't know most of addresses.
And some obviously where send to persons, I know the email-address ... but haven't stored it anywhere on the computer.

Sorry, if you (and you and you ...) got them as well!

Any idea, how this could have happened?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,695 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed

Region Philbis

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,

yeah, we got one this morning.

not sure how they do it, but (if you haven't already done so) contact aol, and change your password asap...
Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Perhaps it's related to the things mentioned below and the reason for it:
Quote:
AOL hopes to roll out a fix soon to a spam surge in its AIM service targeting Google IM users, a situation that prompted Google to temporarily shut down the interoperability between the two instant messaging networks
PC-World
PUNKEY

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:13 am
this happened to me about 6 months ago.

The only reason how I found out was that the "undeliverable" ones came back to me. This email told people that I recommended a certain site.

Someone has hacked your email address book.

My computer guy told me that this is an internal issue and probably came from AOL itself.

Change your password to your AOL mailbox.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I got heavily spammed in November. More than 800 spam messages, many were duplicates. Still no idea where it came from or why it hit only 1 of the AOL accounts, and not the other 2 or the non-aol account.

Just checked and the AOL accounts are spamless this morning.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:29 am
I got one this morning, but deleted it right away. Did not think it was from you personally. Still confused as I think you have said you are very few with that name.
After your post here I did open it and got News7Days.
Can that help you in any way how this could have happened?
0 Replies

parados

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Unless the emails show up as sent from your computer or are specifically to people you know the most likely scenario is that someone simply used your email address as the return address of spam they sent out.

Spammers do that so they don't get all the bounce back when email isn't delivered and so people can't track them down. They simply choose an email address at random or make one up.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@parados,
saab wrote:

I got one this morning, but deleted it right away. Did not think it was from you personally. Still confused as I think you have said you are very few with that name.

I don't know your email-address at all Shocked

parados wrote:

Unless the emails show up as sent from your computer or are specifically to people you know the most likely scenario is that someone simply used your email address as the return address of spam they sent out.

Well, I deleted the email I'd "send" to myself, didn't look up the others which came back, too.

They aren't shown in my account as "sent", and I don't know most addresses which came back.
Letty

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oops, just got one from you on Yahoo. I sent you one to ask what was going on.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:30 pm
It happened to me a few days ago. It was all rubbish that was sent out, pages from Around The World In 80 Days, and bits and pieces cut and pasted from all over the place. They email addresses they were writing to were unknown as well. I'm with Sky, they told me to disconnect from the net, run a full secuity sweep, then change my password. Since then nothing touch wood.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Well that's what I did, too.
Letty

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, did you upgrade to the new Yahoo? They kept trying to get me to do so, and I simply said no. I think edgarblythe had the same problem as did yitwail
izzythepush

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Fingers crossed eh?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:15 pm
@Letty,
I don't even think that I've an yahoo account Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Indeed
margo

Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
yes - I was surprised to get an email from you...

But it didn't look like you - so I deleted it!
0 Replies

Eva

Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Same as Margo...but my first clue was that it went to my spam folder, not my inbox!

I seem to get this sort of spam from "people I know" fairly often, so no worries here, Walter. Hope you get it stopped soon for your own peace of mind, though.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:44 am
@Eva,
I really got quite upset - but it seems to be 'normal' as two bank managers (different banks) told me, who got that email as well.
Eva

Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, it's very common. And it would irritate me if I found out my email address was being used that way, too. Still, I just wanted you to know it wasn't a big deal to me when I got it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,

maybe this is the sign you've been waiting for that's it's time to drop AOL once and for all...
0 Replies