taught in schools Civil War era

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:45 pm
As a reenactor, my persona been teaching in a farm community out west but has returned to her native NC since war has broken out. Whatkind of handwriting would she have been teaching these future farmers who need only the basics and a fair hand for business? Certainly not Spencercian! What came between that and Palmsr for practical writing? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,336 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 05:13 pm
@tamara nesbit,
Timothy Matlack was noted for his fine penmanship and is recognized as the handwriting author of the SDeclaration of Independence. Spencer was teaching his handwriting methods as early as 1805.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 05:16 pm
@tamara nesbit,
This will get you started. I'll let you do the needed follow up Google searches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmanship

Quote:
Teaching methods and history

Books used in North America

Platt Rogers Spencer is known as the "Father of American Penmanship". His writing system was first published in 1848, in his book Spencer and Rice's System of Business and Ladies' Penmanship. The most popular Spencerian manual was The Spencerian Key to Practical Penmanship, published by his sons in 1866. This "Spencerian Method" was taught in American schools until the mid 1920s, and has seen a resurgence in recent years through charter schools and home schooling using revised Spencerian books and methods produced by former IAMPETH president Michael Sull (* 1946).

George A. Gaskell (1845–1886), a student of Spencer, authored two popular books on penmanship, Gaskell's Complete Compendium of Elegant Writing and The Penman's Hand-Book (1883).

The dominant copybooks in North America at the start of the 20th century included those produced by A. N. Palmer, a student of Gaskell, who developed the Palmer Method, as reflected in his Palmer's Guide to Business Writing, published in 1894. Also popular was Zaner-Bloser Script, introduced by Charles Paxton Zaner (15 February 1864 – 1 December 1918) and Elmer Ward Bloser (6 November 1865 – 1929) of the Zanerian Business College. The A. N. Palmer Company folded in the early 1980s. Zaner-Bloser continues, and accounts for roughly 40% of handwriting textbook sales in the USA.

Later styles include D'Nealian Script and Getty-Dubay — both published in 1976. D'Nealian (named after its designer, Donald Neal Thurber) is a derivative of the Palmer Method and uses a slanted, serifed manuscript form followed by an entirely joined and looped cursive of the typical American variety. Getty-Dubay (named after its designers, Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay) is an Italic hand and uses a slightly slanted, optionally serifed Italic manuscript followed by a partially joined, unlooped Italic cursive with letter-forms similar to those of Italic manuscript. D'Nealian accounts for 40% of American handwriting textbook sales; Getty-Dubay, which accounted for less than 1% of American handwriting textbook sales in 1995, by 2003 had come to account for 7% of American handwriting textbook sales.

Other copybook styles comprise more than 200 published textbook curricula, many differing from these and from each other in a variety of ways.

Here's another lead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencerian_Script
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:07 am
That was interesting to read.
I always took for granted that children in those days learned beautiful handwriting - no matter if here or over there by you. Seeing letters written to "the old folks back home" were often a piece of art.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 05:31 am
@saab,
I have a journal kept by a wounded Union prisoner who was detained in Libby Prison and was released when the prison was moved to Andersonville (due to reasons not discussed by the prisoner). Its a heart rending day by day account of being an attendent to prisoners , who, alive one day, and then dead the next were known to the prisoner who was junior artllery officer..
He addressed his journal to a "Mary" who wold be given the journal on the event of his death . As the news of the war gradually turned away from the Confederacy , and the raid on Richmond had speeded up the completion of the more notorios Andersonville, His spirit improved and he apparently spent time keeping spirits high among his other officers. (Libby prison, according to the journal, was mostly officers and "spies").
The journal is written in fantastic penmanship and some left over "Elizabethan " spelling of words.
The flourishes and obvios calligraphgic thickenings of lines are amazing. I dont know what kind of ink he used , but its brownish rather than black or blue, so I dont think he made it from berries.,
saab

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:11 am
@farmerman,
Could it be that the black or blue in ink faded and became brownish?
A lot will be lost because of e-mails, SMS and telephoning.
The old letters I find so interesting - telling about the daily life, the harvest, the children, relatives and small things going on.
I am amazed how fast letters went from Nebraska to some place in Denmark.
A lady wrote in the beginning of December - around the 8th - to relatives in Denmark to wish them Merry Christmas. This is around 1890-1900. These letters arrived in time for Christmas. Looking at the answer I would say it took 2-3 weeks, by train, by ship, by train and a mailman by foot.
That is what an airmail letter can take to California now around Christmas.
0 Replies