Apparent software glitch

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:18 pm
There’s an apparent glitch in a?k forum software whereby an attempt to edit one’s own post elicits the message: "You can't edit this post now”

What I’d like to know is why nobody else has encountered and reported it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,751 • Replies: 34

View best answer, chosen by dalehileman
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:26 pm
@dalehileman,
You have had an answer to this post answered earlier. It is not a glitch.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:50 pm
@roger,
To me Rog it's a glitch

Sorry just couldn’t resist

But do take a vote

Thanks for your quick responses
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:13 pm
@dalehileman,
Okay, I vote in favor of a time limit on editing. I also oppose being able to change a post after it has been replied to.

I guess we're tied at 1:1.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:38 pm
@roger,
So it would seem

However I could be the lone exception as I’ve often wondered why many if not most forums let one edit for weeks or even indefinitely. If a?k has the facility I’d be most interested in a vote of participants
Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 03:15 pm
@dalehileman,
I see that you're new here so welcome to A2K. I hope you're getting used to how the site works.

Be aware that its not a glitch. It's a function of how the forum is set up.

I like the way it's running now just fine. The way it's set up now is that you get 10 minutes to edit your post. If you need more time than that, it would make more sense to edit before you enter a post. Many here use a text editor such as Word and then upload it to A2K.

I can't imagine why a forum would allow the ability to edit after someone has replied.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:00 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I can't imagine why a forum would allow the ability to edit after someone has replied.

I know of one that does. It doesn't involve politics, religion, or economics, so no harm done. In the early days of a2k I was ambushed by a revised post, and I was not the only one to comment on it.
Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:26 pm
@roger,
It must make for some confusing reading after the fact.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 04:35 pm
@Ragman,
Usually, the edits are just for clarity. Usually

ETA: A2k is more subject to spam, and sometimes someone will plant a post on a thread and come back to it to add a spamming link. That is, it used to happen that way. Those links are seldom used or even read, but they raise the site in the Google and other search engines.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:35 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
I see that you're new here so welcome to A2K. I hope you're getting used to how the site works.
Thank you Rag. Yes I am

Quote:
Be aware that its not a glitch. It's a function of how the forum is set up.
Okay

Quote:
I like the way it's running now just fine.
Yes as I said I might indeed be overweening ands excessively fussy

Quote:
The way it's set up now is that you get 10 minutes to edit your post…….. use a text editor such as Word and then upload it to A2K.
Indeed I’ve been so advised elsewhere. However as an erstwhile writer I have spent as long as two hours composing a post, then after submission finding more errors and omissions requiring still another editing over a period of hours to weeks. Jumping back and forth between Work=d and a?k would be impossibly clumsy and tedious

Quote:
Yes I understand your assertion, it’s very difficult to imagine anyone else with my peculiar habits so I apologize most profusely for wasting your valuable time in my quest for the perfect editing facility
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:37 am
@roger,
Quote:
"allow the ability to edit after someone has replied….".I know of one that does.
I’ve participated in dozens if not scores of such forums that allow indefinite editing
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:45 am
@dalehileman,

A2k did at one time allow edits.
if you edited a post, a "last edited" time-stamp was added to the bottom of the post.

can't recall if there was ever unlimited editing here...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:16 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
can't recall if there was ever unlimited editing here...
Probably not Reg. But 10 minutes is the shortest editing time of any forum anywhere in which I’ve participated over the past 17 years. If you have any influence whatever, can you persuade the software guys to extend it to at least 3 hrs so it doesn’t cut me off in the middle of a sentence

Thanks for your interest, it’s amazing how fast the response compared to those other sites
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:21 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

There’s an apparent glitch in a?k forum software whereby an attempt to edit one’s own post elicits the message: "You can't edit this post now”

What I’d like to know is why nobody else has encountered and reported it

there was discussion of this on the forum when it was announced that the editing periods were going to be prescribed

the reality is - that is how the forum is currently set up to operate

some people have had to adjust their posting style as a result

as the cliche goes "it is what it is"
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It’s ok, of course, I fully understand, some bulk-purchased software however egregious is near-impossible to alter and yes, I am the exception in the current regard
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:47 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
It’s ok, of course, I fully understand, some bulk-purchased software however egregious is near-impossible to alter and yes, I am the exception in the current regard

It's not bulk-purchased. It was custom designed. That's why this forum rocks your socks off.

I like the fact that it can't be edited after 10 minutes. People used to rampantly go back and change things they'd written, which made it difficult to have ongoing conversations on some topics.

You need to be hitting the 'preview' button instead of 'post,' until you are sure you are done with your piece. There's no problem at all with the forum software or the way that it is set up; there's a problem with your hitting post before you should.

I also find it to be somewhat odd that you are so concerned over spelling and writing errors, yet can't seem to figure out that a period goes at the end of sentences, and that run-on sentences aren't grammatically correct either.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:52 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
some bulk-purchased software however egregious is near-impossible to alter

good thing we're not playing with bulk-purchased software

as I posted earlier it has been altered - to prescribe the editing time
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It's not bulk-purchased. It was custom designed. That's why this forum rocks your socks off.
Wow, and it does so, I am very impressed

Quote:
…….which made it difficult to have ongoing conversations on some topics.
I understand how that works. In many forums of this sort if not the majority editing time is 3 hrs to weeks or even indefinitely. However I’m doubtless in the tiny minority while can appreciate your reluctance if we’re plagued by trolls

Quote:
You need to be hitting the 'preview' button instead of 'post,' until you are sure you are done with your piece.
Aha! then I assume in the “preview” mode is a time out during which I can edit at leisure. You must understand, I’m so accustomed to the package editing that I’m easily confused if it ’s not my senility

Quote:
…….there's a problem with your hitting post before you should.
Yes I understand how that works, the quick typist is often flummoxed by slow software. I find that for instance in Mac Mail, where if I type a correspondent’s name too fact I get the wrong address

Quote:
……... yet can't seem to figure out that a period goes at the end of sentences, and that run-on sentences aren't grammatically correct either.
I apologize most profusely and if you insist will use more punctuation though I prefer that the participant who can’t cope with words of more than 2 syllables or sentences of more than 6 words not respond

As the day is too short for all the conventions, in all according to actual count by omitting certain punctuation over the 17-year span of my participation in the Web I have saved 2, 665, 769, 084 keystrokes

Give or take two or three debatable instances
Quote:
Cycloptichorn
Dale
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

I apologize most profusely and if you insist will use more punctuation though I prefer that the participant who can’t cope with words of more than 2 syllables or sentences of more than 6 words not respond

You seem like a nice fellow, and I certainly don't mean to give you a hard time. But it's been my long experience online that those posters who put in the effort to ensure that things like, say, periods, are at the end of their sentences, have their arguments taken much more seriously by those they are conversing with. You may want to consider investing the additional 1/3rd of a second to do so.

Cycloptichorn
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo you seem like a fine fellow too though I doubt if I’ll be able to change my ways after some two decades of Web ;participation