Apparent software glitch

Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The same thing might be said about people who end sentence with propositions.

Or, in some cases, for those who have a stick up their arse. Just sayin'!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Surely you meant to say prepositions?

I couldn't help it!

Besides, I've always thought that was a stupid linguistic rule. People actually talk like that - constantly - so why not write like that?

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:38 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
So I prepose

Quote:
Or, in some cases, for those who have a stick up their arse. Just sayin'!
It only hurts when you rotate it
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@dalehileman,
You must realize by now (with all your online experience) that there needs to be an accommodation period as you enter each forum community. There is already a cultural norm experienced here - as with in any establsihed community. If you come in - right out of the gate - protesting and/or declaring your discomfort with the norm within the forum, then you could be viewed with a jaundiced eye.

Most of us have been getting along reasonably well with the edit feature, though this and other functionalities could be improved. What you don't know is that the forum was created and is maintained as a volunteer effort by a tiny skeleton force (pretty much as a hobby).

As a constructive criticism to you, perhaps you might look around a learn a bit more about the forum and get to know the dynamics a bit better before you criticize so quickly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The pun was intended.

For that matter, why have any rules of grammar at all? Seeing this is a conversation using the written word, then a tad more attention can be paid to grammar rules as it becomes a more orderly efficient process of conveying meaning. When you are verbalizing in face-to-face, there are so many more physical cues and we rely on those cues and not just the spoken word.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:35 pm
@Ragman,
Again thank you guys for your interest in my confusion

Rag please don’t mistake my suggestions for criticism, I only mean to be helpful
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:42 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't really have a problem with you. I hope it doesn't come across that way. I was just being sarcastic, while hopefully offering something constructive.

It does take a bit of time to get used to or know people (as wll as one can) in an online forum. However, sometimes we (myself included) choose certain words and phrases which are more crititcal than we intend. I've gotten myself in trouble more than once in an online forum. I get focused on asking what about a problem and don't realize that I could be stepping on toes with how I'm asking it.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I prefer that the participant who can’t cope with words of more than 2 syllables or sentences of more than 6 words not respond

Curiously, Dal, you seem unable to type more than the first three letters of a member's name when you reply to them.

Is the use of one-syllable names an effort to save keystrokes or are you just unable to cope with multi-syllable names?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:24 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
while hopefully offering something constructive.
You do seem an upstanding fellow and I hope we meet in alternate universes

Quote:
and don't realize that I could be stepping on toes with how I'm asking it.
Happens to me all the time
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
or are you just unable to cope with multi-syllable names?
Saves keystrokes Fly though if you like I shall try to remember spelling ‘em out in future threads to which you gain access

No promises tho
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:27 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm lying down now, actually. I took off my steel-toed shoes first, however.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
@Ragman,
So rag just don’t kick that stiock
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Happy news! A2k does not charge by the keystroke.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 04:08 pm
Apparent software glitch

i noticed that, a cat just walked by the doorway, then what appeared to be the same cat just walked by the doorway, at first i thought deja vu, but then....... Razz
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@roger,
No but my keyboard lasts longer
0 Replies