Why can’t I edit

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:45 pm
a?k is the first forum I have encountered where after submitting a post "You can't edit this post now”

Why not
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 721 • Replies: 19

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@dalehileman,
there's a time limit, not sure how long, but you can edit for a period of time after posting
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@djjd62,
Fifteen minutes unless it's been replied to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:11 pm
Because we are ediots.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks fellers for explaining that, I was sure my problem must have something to do with my age and incipient Alzheimer’s

However 15 minutes is ‘way ‘way ‘way too short a time. Many if not most forums of this sort allow for editing indefinitely. I admit to being an ediot but at least give us at least 3 hours

How about taking a vote

PS: I not also when composing a post there aren’t accessible any editing links such as bold, italics, quote etc etc as in almost all other forums of this sort to which I’ve subscribed
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I have had the experience of demonstrating that a previous post was inaccurate, only to have the poster edit the post to make himself look good. That may have been the reason the present conditions were imposed.

If you can't use bold, italics, underline, and
Quote:
, you can probably address this on your preferences screen which can be accessed at the bottom of your screen.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:53 pm
@roger,
Wow Rog thanks again for quick reply but at the bottom I can’t find any such link. In all other forums in which I participate they are located directly above the box in which one composes one’s link
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Go to the "New Posts" screen. When you are there, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will find a bunch of options, one of which is "Preferences". I don't recall the exact wording of the choice you need, but it will probably be obvious.

Once you are set up right, you should have a Quote option and a Reply button at the top of every post you might answer. Also, when you select either, your reply box will have the standard editing options at the top of your reply box.

Actually, I don't know why these choices are not the default option. I don't get to make decisions.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:16 pm
Because the hamsters despise you . . . and rightfully so . . .
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:20 pm
@Setanta,
They do, but I don't know why you say 'rightfully so'.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:22 pm
@roger,
hamsters have an inherent distrust of rats.

I figured you already knew about it...
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:22 pm
@dalehileman,
In one of your other topics about this issue, I posted a link to a tutorial that will help you with most of these problems.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:24 pm
@Rockhead,
It feels deeper than, though I acknowledge the basic truth of the statement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:26 pm
@roger,
It was a response to the author . . . although perhaps they despise you--i'll defer to Rocky's superior wisdom . . .
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:31 pm
@roger,
“…...to make himself look good. …….the reason the present conditions were imposed.” Doubtless but there just aren’t that many criminals mongst us
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:35 pm
@roger,
"I don't get to make decisions.” Obviously you should
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 08:23 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, the new comparatively long time to edit is pretty generous from some of our points of view.

On the last assumption that there aren't accessible ways to bold, italicize - look at at the posting box - above it you will see that you can enable bcc - see the small green letters.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:25 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
- see the small green letters.

Thank you most kindly Oss but don’t hold my failing eyesight, advanced age, and inclement Alzheimer’s against me
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:53 am
Inclement?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
@Setanta,
Touche
In that very quality that prevents the diacritical
0 Replies