A Stamp for Breast Cancer Research Re-Issued

Piffka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
I received the email at the end of this post. Though I don't usually do this, I thought I would pass it on to you.

A book of stamps has been re-issued that you can buy to support research for Breast Cancer. I'm asking you to go to your local P.O. this week and buy one of these books of stamps. It will cost you $8.00 and you get $7.40 worth of stamps. The rest of the money will be set aside in a fund for research.

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service today announced the resumption of sales of the popular Breast Cancer Research Semipostal stamp. The stamp has raised more than $35 million for research since issued on July 29, 1998. Sales had been suspended Jan. 1, 2004, when the authorization under federal law to sell the fundraising semipostal stamp expired. New legislation extends sales of the stamp through Dec. 31, 2005.

The Breast Cancer Research stamp joins two other semipostal stamps -- the Heroes of 2001 and Stop Family Violence -- offered by the Postal Service. All three are available at all Post Offices, online and by toll-free phone order at 1 800 STAMP-24.

All three of these stamps are a good way to support your community.

My mother died of breast cancer on January 30, 1983. I know many other women who have suffered through the fear and pain of this awful disease & the horrific "remedies" that are offered... removing the breast and chest tissue, poisoning the system through chemicals and burning the site through radiation. It is a terrible disease.

If people all over the United States would buy this book of stamps, paying the extra sixty cents it requires, it would make a tremendous show of emotional support for women everywhere. Please consider helping.

Thanks!
Piffka

Quote:
This is one email you should be glad to pass on. The notion that we could raise $35 million by buying a book of stamps is powerful! As you may be aware, the US Postal Service recently released its new "Fund the Cure" stamp to help fund breast cancer research. The stamp was designed by Ethel Kessler of Bethesda, Maryland. It is important that we take a stand against this disease that affects so many of our Mothers, Sisters and Friends.

Instead of the normal 37 cents for a stamp, this one costs 40 cents. The additional 3 cents will go to breast cancer research. A "normal" book costs $7..40. This one is only $8.00. It takes a few minutes in line at the Post Office and means so much. If all stamps are sold, it will raise an additional $35,000,000 for this vital research. Just as important as the money is our support. What a statement it would make if the stamp outsold the lottery this week. What a statement it would make that we care.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,185 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:05 am
Will do, Piffka...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:07 am
Thanks for the reminder, Piffka.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:19 am
I'll buy some.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:36 am
Ahhhh, you are so nice, all three of you. (((HUGS))) If I were a bless-you kind of person, then I'd say that, but I'm not really, I <smooch> instead.

<Smooch> <Smooch> <Smooch> Cool

I'm hoping that lots of a2kers are reading this and not posting, but will consider buying these stamps next time they're at the post office.

The stamps, btw, are described as "a line drawing of the Roman goddess, Diana. With a powerful blend of colors representing all women, she is ready to fend off the enemy with her bow and quiver encouraging everyone to Fund the Fight."

http://www.miraluma.com/mir_images/ud_4stamp.gif
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:44 am
I'll buy some.

Stamps can also be purchased at The Post Office Website
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:09 am
Yay! <smooch> Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:06 pm
Sure, I'll buy some.

And remind people that, counterintuitively, this is not just a woman's disease. My grandfather died of it, hence my mother and her whole family (and me) are considered very high risk.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:24 pm
That's very scary for you and very true... I think men comprise about 1% of its victims, but I don't know much more about men with breast cancer. We certainly want a more pleasant cure. Radiation therapy sucks.

Here's a neat link about Yew Trees and how extracts of yew are promising finds in the cure for all cancers. It is interesting to me that the Pacific Yew is no longer considered the best for providing taxol-type, cancer-fighting drugs.

Yew Trees
Quote:
The European yew is a source in the production of Taxotere,

which is potentially an even better anticancer agent than Taxol. The English yew contains a similar compound to Taxol but is 10 times more concentrated.

<smooch!>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
Um, not entirely. Tamoxifen might be contraindicated, as in no, for non-estrogen receptor b/c.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:14 pm
Hmmm, I dunno about that, Osso. Tamoxifen would be bad but Taxol would be OK, you're saying? I just noticed there that the European Yew has a much stronger chemical. I suppose stronger isn't always better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:56 am
I am no expert here. I think Tamoxifen, which comes from the yew tree, eh?, is good for most, but is iffy for the odd few who are not estrogen receptor positive, I think. (No one should trust me, just talking).

Well, to be bald, I had a tiny breast cancer, so tiny the surgeon couldn't was be sure the estrogen receptor negative was not just because the sample wasn't large enough.

It's a wild world once you start thinking about all this. Some people live four decades or more after the first indication, and other people die fairly fast.

Piffka has seen the worst of it and some of us will face that.

The biochemistry for any one person is complicated. There are many considerations, re people's life expectations. Personally, I wish all of you would enjoy every minute of every day.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:49 pm
That's the ideal... enjoy every minute. I'm sorry if this broughht up bad memories, Ossobuco. Breast cancer is a nasty disease... there are a lot of bad diseases around, but this one seems to hit so many people I know.

BTW, I wasn't thinking about Janet Jackson and "Breast-Gate" when I started this post. Boobs are just in the air... so to speak.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:25 am
I bought the original release when I lived in the US. Couldn't bear to use 'em 'cause I thought I would keep them as a collector's item. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:14 am
Awwww. That's so sweet.

Here's a retroactive <smooch>!

Are you a stamp collector?
0 Replies