Someone changed Apple G5 to a PC

satt fs

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 10:19 pm
How I PC'd an Apple G5

Quote:
I got a shiny new Apple G5 for Christmas. I loved the case, but I'm no Mac user. So I....

* Get a brand new dual processor G5, then
* Rip out everything,
* Cut out the back of the case so I can use a PC motherboard, and
* Install an Athlon motherboard.

This is what it looked like before:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure G5 is a great computer, but I wanted a Dell for Christmas. I don't have any programs for Apple and didn't feel like waiting for them. I thought about selling it, but my parents would be upset with me. After all, this was a very expensive gift and it meant a lot to them to give to me.

First I removed the fans, ductwork and the board. I had to disassemble part of the case - it's held together with star head screws. I have NEVER seen a finer made case.

The G5 uses a total of 7 Delta fans and 2 Delta blowers. I really wanted to keep them in use, but I could not figure out the wiring pattern - 4 black wires, I could not figure out the polarity. I think Apple had these custom made for them.

Before installing the board, I had to cut out a section of the case for the ATX panel:

The temporary switch was installed for the reset button.

Here is what it looks like after the board was installed. I had to snap the stands for the Apple board off, then I used old plastic stand offs from my collection of parts. I had to glue in spacers so they would be the right height.

Its too bad Apple decided to mount the board on the opposite side, because you can only fit a Micro ATX board due to the location of the slots. I considered cutting out the entire back and doing a total swap with my old Dell PC, but I think it would have ruined the over all look to the case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 961 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:57 pm
Wow, that was dumb. You took the most high-tech expensive computer on the market, and altered it because you didn't want to use a different operating system. You should have been honest with your parents, had them take it back, and gotten a dell - it would have saved them money and made you look like less of an idiot.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:15 am
Turns out it was a joke. . .and a damn good one! I was pissed until I saw that!

Imagine doing that to the fastest processor on the planet.. . . I'm no mac lover, but I'd never screw up a computer like that.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:13 am
Gimme a G5!!
0 Replies