Need advice on gaining advice...

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:20 pm
I'm having a relationship problem with my best friend of a year or so. But I'm petrified about even asking for help. To keep the problem somewhat confidential, just let me say it has to do with the unknown status of our friendship. At least unknown to me. I'm clueless in that department.

I'm too embarrassed to ask here so please allow me to ask one question: I wonder if it would be better to send in a letter to an advice column in a big weekly magazine where I know my best friend will likely read and perhaps even recognize or should I write to another advice column where she might not get around to seeing it. Should I farm the advice for my sake or let her know I'm having a problem via a third party (publication)?

On the one hand, if my friend does see the column and recognizes me and my problem (or is it my problem and I??) that I'm having a difficult time with recent events and the possibility that our friendship has fallen from the status of being close friends to merely facebook acquaintances. That she might understand what I can not communicate to her in words (regarding my state of mind and worries).

Or would she freak out if she recognized our woeful tale in a major city publication thusly making the letter to the other columnist less chancy and a better way to enlightenment?

Maybe if I can trust people here in this online forum than I might be write here of my woeful tale of either a broken friendship or misunderstood melodrama.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,094 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:07 pm
@Chow Mo-wan,
If you were my friend and I recognized the description of our friendship in an advice column, I'd probably be wondering why the heck you didn't just reconnect with me and ask if things were okay between us.

Pick up the telephone and call or write an email to check in with her.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:32 pm
Don't you know ANY third party person who could help you with your "sanity check" on this issue? Why publish your woes where there is any chance this person might see it?

(By the way, your writing has a familiar "flourish." Are you hiding under a false ID?)
0 Replies