Recommendations for suicidal ideation and smoking cessation?

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:13 pm
Both depression and nicotine are associated with increased suicide risk. Nicotine is an antidepressant. Most smoking cessation therapies work to reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms (including depression) by offering therapeutic weaning doses of nicotine.
What recommendations should be made, regarding smoking cessation, for a person experiencing suicidal ideation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,547 • Replies: 4

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:28 pm
@flesh out,
flesh out wrote:
Both depression and nicotine are associated with increased suicide risk. Nicotine is an antidepressant.
Most smoking cessation therapies work to reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms (including depression)
by offering therapeutic weaning doses of nicotine.

What recommendations should be made, regarding smoking cessation, for a person experiencing suicidal ideation?
WELCOME to the forum!
I 've heard good things about the nicotine patch.
I 've also heard good things about hypnosis to quit smoking.

Concerning suicidal ideation, in my opinion,
contemplating life's finer moments, those of success are good.
I hope that does not sound flippant; I don't mean it to be.

Additionally, conversation on Internet fora can sometimes be helpful.
Maybe its cathartic.

David
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:53 pm
@flesh out,
They should coordinate any smoking cessation attempts with their doctor and therapist.
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:59 pm
@flesh out,
The idea that bupropion and varenicline increase the risk of suicide is debatable. A few years ago, the FDA released warning for both drugs regarding this possibility. Some recent research suggests otherwise, however the FDA warning remains. Therfore, to be safe ,Varenicline is usually avoided in smokers with suicidal risk, some psychiatric disorders, and major depression. Bupropion seems to be safer, but is still avoided when possible.
Stop-smoking aids that work by delivering only nicotine are probably the most appropriate. The danger, in these druges, is no worse than if the person continues to smoke (which is the other alternative). Everything needs to be looked at on case by case basis.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:27 pm
@flesh out,
U might take note, incidentally,
that people who have returned from death in hospitals
have complained of some problems, after their suicides; i.e., suicides might bring bad luck.
www.IANDS.org
0 Replies