lead the White House?

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:42 am
I'm trying to translate a passage from Chinese to English.
If a president is newly elected, can I say he will enter and lead the White House? Or he will master the White House? Any better options?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 751 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:58 am
I don't know exactly how you might put it. The White House is a house, in the sense that the President and his family live there. It is also an office building, in the sense that his staff have offices there, as well as some of the government agencies. "Lead" would not really be accurate, because the White House is a home and an office building--there is nothing there for the President to lead. Certainly he "leads" his staff, but that is true whether they have offices there or not. (There is a building next to the White House called the Eisenhower Executive Office Building where many of the President's staff have offices.)

Enter would be a better option, but perhaps you could say either that he would occupy the White House, or take up residence there. The fact that it is both a residence and an office building rather complicates your translation.
PennyChan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:04 am
@Setanta,
Thank you. In Chinese there is one word to describe both meanings. It's always difficult to find the proper word when I do my translation.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:15 am
@PennyChan,
Yes, i'll bet it's not easy at all. I find that your English is quite good, and wish you every success in your endeavors.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:19 am
how about simply "enter the White House and lead the country".
PennyChan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:29 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you!
0 Replies

PennyChan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:32 am
@Setanta,
Thanks! I have so much to learn. ^_^
0 Replies