The sentence uses "provide" twice. Does it sound a bit awkward?

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:28 pm
We provide evidence that old fear memories can be updated with non-fearful information provided during the reconsolidation window.

If being awkward, any better word would be recommended.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 526 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:09 pm
@oristarA,
We usually try to avoid that kind of repetition, but it doesn't sound bad or awkward here. If I think of a better word choice, I'll drop back in.

I've more concerns with the "non-fearful" information part. It almost sounds like your information is scared of something. I might have said 'non-threatining', or something like that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:12 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
We SHOW that old fear memories can be updated with non-fearful information provided during the reconsolidation window

Always go the short way around the block unless you are a Bureaucrat or a lawyer....
engineer

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:52 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

We provide evidence that old fear memories can be updated with non-fearful information provided during the reconsolidation window.

"Evidence shows that old fear memories can be replaced with non-fearful information during the reconsolidation window."
oristarA

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:56 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

oristarA wrote:

"Evidence shows that old fear memories can be replaced with non-fearful information during the reconsolidation window."

But the author(s) is the first to find the evidence. Using "evidence shows" seems that the evidence would come from other sources rather than the author's.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
We SHOW that old fear memories can be updated with non-fearful information provided during the reconsolidation window

Always go the short way around the block unless you are a Bureaucrat or a lawyer....

In newsletters, the suggestion is fine and golden. In science, however, the seriousness of the expression seems to be compromised. But I'm sure about this.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:59 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

We usually try to avoid that kind of repetition, but it doesn't sound bad or awkward here. If I think of a better word choice, I'll drop back in.

I've more concerns with the "non-fearful" information part. It almost sounds like your information is scared of something. I might have said 'non-threatining', or something like that.

Thank you.
Waiting.
0 Replies