Improve Vocabulary!

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 09:52 pm
Would anyone help me to improve vocabulary in easy steps? I would really appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 10:44 pm
Study a dictionary for one year.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Talk to us here and we'll correct you if you don't mind.

You might want to make notes when you read english text. Write down definitions of words that are new to you. Organize them into categories; for example, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and so on.

That was what I did when I was learning italian. It was very useful as the note taking helped my brain to process the new words. This only goes so far, though, in that you have to keep using what you learn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Dictionaries are good tools to learn the language, because they identify what the word is between nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives, and also provides an example in how the word is used.

I did that when I was a teenager, and did pretty well on Reader's Digest definition of words.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 01:31 am
@albertbrine,
I am sure that in your country there are books how to teach yourself English.
There are a book and almost always a work book - often with the correct results at the end.
You should be able to control your mistakes.
Maybe there are evening classes where you live. It is a good idea to take part in that as again you will not only improve your vocabulary, but also your pronaunceation and your ability to speak.

Always look up words you do not know and write them down.
Have them on a loose, small paper, which you can flip over.Write in English on one page and your language on the other page. Put them in a box and every day see if you know the words. Not all of them at the same time.
That way you can control how you improve your knowledge.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@albertbrine,
Quote:
Would anyone help me to improve vocabulary in easy steps? I would really appreciate it.

Sure, Albert. How many ways in English do you know where you can describe something as "extremely easy"?
0 Replies