"Best Ways to Learn English"

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:07 am
Hi, I found this "article" in some Chinese web site. It seems written by an ESL student. Apparently, that is not so-called "best ways" , which, I dare say, might crack up you mavens/native English speakers. Why I want to make this thread is because I'd like to know how you revise it.

Thank you.

*******************************The "article"*****************************

Best Ways to learn English
Hou Yongzheng

To learn a foreign language is not easy . However ,we do have some ways to deal with it .

The first step is to alter your psychological state. If you believe that you can learn English well, you will learn it well . Don't think of English as being a hard subject . Think of it as a tool that can help you ,and often use it as a tool .

The second step is to practice your English . Practice makes perfect . You must speak English as much as you can . You can practice with your classmates outside class .You can build up your own English speaking environment. Good listening practice tapes provide practice in listening to normal natural English language .

You must get used to writing in English . For example , you should keep a diary in English .

Thirdly, reading is an effective way to improve abilities of listening and speaking . You can read after tapes , read after teachers or just read by yourself . But you should remember to read aloud , for hearing influences memory more than sight .

Fourthly , if you want to make swift progress, follow the advice of experts, review your work as a matter of course . There is one thing that we cannot over-emphasize in this daily word study , and that is the high importance of continually reviewing the work that you have done . New words that come into your vocabulary are as difficult to catch as little ,shining eels, and unless you rehearse them constantly , you will find that they will wriggle out from between your mental fingers and slip back into the sea of language .

If you space your review of new language and new words at the right intervals,it's possible to keep your level of recall high .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
Oristar, There's some good advice here. And very few mistakes. This ESL student gets a high mark from me.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:11 pm
It's well written. However, there is one major problem: How is someone who doesn't know any words in english supposed to read this?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:06 pm
Thank you both. Very Happy

Congrats the ESL student got high mark from Roberta.

IMO, reading as much as possible is just an old story, diary might easily lead to be self-confined, while the most important thing for an ESL student is how to make a successful communication with native English speakers. Joining several native speakers' forums and communicating with them every day, instead of making diary, is better. Because they can at any time point out what gets them confused in your posts, and might suggest you the best expression in that case.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:26 am
Yes, Oristar, Communicating with native speakers of the language you're learning is an excellent way to learn a language. But, unfortunately, it's not always possible to find native speakers.
0 Replies