What does "we have noup-front costs to dissuade us" mean?

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 01:09 am

Context:

Yet barrier-based publishers survive because of another disconnect,this one between researchers and libraries. Researchers choose which journalsto support with their submissions, but it’s libraries that have to pay forsubscriptions to those journals. Because of the stupid way researchers areusually evaluated (and this is another whole issue), the intrinsic quality ofour work matters less than the brand name of the journal it’s published in. Sowe have strong selfish reasons for wanting to get our work into the “best”journals, even if it is at the cost of effective communication. And we have noup-front costs to dissuade us even if those journals are expensive ones. Wehave a completely dysfunctional journal market because the real purchaser neversees the bill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 01:45 am
@oristarA,
I'm quite certain the left out a space and noup-front costs should read no up-front costs. I do not know why they put a hyphen between 'up' and 'front'. Some people just like hyphens, I guess.

I think the meaning of "up front costs" has already been addressed.
contrex

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 02:41 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I do not know why they put a hyphen between 'up' and 'front'. Some people just like hyphens, I guess.

Hyphens are mostly used to break single words into parts, or to join ordinarily separate words into single words. The use of the hyphen in English compound nouns and verbs has, in general, been steadily declining. Compounds that might once have been hyphenated are increasingly left with spaces or are combined into one word. In 2007, the sixth edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary removed the hyphens from 16,000 entries, such as fig-leaf (now fig leaf), pot-belly (now pot belly) and pigeon-hole (now pigeonhole). The advent of the Internet and the increasing prevalence of computer technology have given rise to a subset of common nouns that may in the past have been hyphenated (e.g. "toolbar", "hyperlink", "pastebin").

Quote:

He used exacty the same text but with a space between 'no' and 'up'.

oristarA

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 06:34 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm quite certain the left out a space and noup-front costs should read no up-front costs. I do not know why they put a hyphen between 'up' and 'front'. Some people just like hyphens, I guess.

Thank you.
I knew noup-front costs should read no up-front costs, Roger.
But I failed to get the nuance of the meaning of up-front cost, which my dict says refers to the investment in advance.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 12:15 pm
@oristarA,
Could be taken as start up costs, which is about the same thing.
JTT

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 01:30 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
The use of the hyphen in English compound nouns and verbs has, in general, been steadily declining.

That move parallels the steady decline of prescriptive nonsense, C.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Could be taken as start up costs, which is about the same thing.

Thanks
0 Replies