Chemical Used For Stripping Bathtubs Kills 13

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 12:39 pm
Chemical Used For Stripping Bathtubs Kills 13
by Nancy Shute - NPR
February 24, 2012

Sure, gussy it up. But be careful.

We've all seen those bathtub refinishing ads that promise a glossy new surface on the dingy old tub.

But a solvent used to make that transformation has killed at least 13 people who used it to strip bathtubs from 2006 to 2011, according to a new study. The chemical, methylene chloride, is sold as a solvent and paint stripper both to professionals and in dozens of do-it-yourself products sold at home improvement stores.

"I just went to my local hardware store and saw the same product," says Ken Rosenman. He's chief of the division of occupational and environmental medicine at Michigan State University and an author on the study, which was published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

"The actual product said do not use in a bathroom," Rosenman says. That's because the fumes are very toxic, and it's impossible to ventilate a bathroom well enough to safely use it. That's what killed the 13 people. But that warning comes in very small print, he notes."I think there's a general concept, 'Hey, if I can buy this in my regular hardware store, I can use this.' "

All 13 people who died were working as professional bathtub refinishers, using methylene chloride to remove old paint before resurfacing a tub with polyurethane paint. Bathtub refinishing has become a popular home remodeling option, because it costs a few hundred dollars compared with the thousands required to remove and replace an aged tub.

A Michigan man who died in 2010 while stripping a tub had used about 6 ounces of a stripper that contained 60 percent to 100 percent methylene chloride. His exposure to fumes as calculated by the Michigan State researchers was 637 to 1,062 parts per million in the bathroom, and 11,618 to 19,364 parts per million in the tub.

That's way over the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's short-term exposure limit of 125 parts per million, or the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health's dangerous to life and health level of 2,300 ppm.

Alternatives to methylene chloride as a paint stripper include acetate, mineral spirits and caustic pastes, Rosenman says, but they don't work as quickly.

The deaths highlight a problem with all the cans and bottles in the hardware store, Rosenman says: There are very few requirements for testing and labeling of chemicals sold for the do-it-yourself market.

He discovered the deaths while researching workplace-related accidents for NIOSH. Worker exposure to toxic chemicals is regulated, he notes, but do-it-yourselfers don't get the same protections.

"If you look at your typical whatever in the hardware store, there's no labeling requirement."

So DIY carefully.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 10
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:04 pm
That's a big figure. A European Union study suggested that DCM-based paint strippers may have been involved in up to 25 fatalities between 1930 and 2007. A decision of the European Parliament in 2009 placed a ban on the retail sale of DCM based paint strippers to the DIY market.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 03:44 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
nothing works as well as Methylene Chloride. The crap that 3M sells as a "safe and effective stripper " is just junk made of complex esters (comples exters such as ethyl and methyl esters are also known as Diesel Fuel) You could soak a painted surface oin a sea of complex esters and it wont loosen.

When using the Methylene chloride, open windows and use a fan. Methylene chloride poisoning manifests itself as a heart attack because the stuff robs the blood of O2 and then the CH3 group sticks onto the haem groups in blood . Many Methylene Chloride heart attack victims have been saved by quick interventions of hyperbaric Oxygen. Otherwise its got a baaad record.

I still use it but I try to strip everything in the hayloft of my barn with the sliding doors open and the work done in warm seasons of the year. NEVER, under any circumstances strip wood in closed environments . You will die.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:59 pm
I wonder if that stuff is also used in Formula 409 cleaner. I badly burned my lungs with that crap while cleaning a glass-enclosed bathtub a few years ago.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 05:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
look up an MSDS(Material Safety Data SHeet) on 409 . It should be on the net.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 02:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I wonder if that stuff is also used in Formula 409 cleaner. I badly burned my lungs with that crap while cleaning a glass-enclosed bathtub a few years ago.

From to the Household Products Database put together by the NIH and the National Library of Medicine Material Safety Data Sheet for Formula 409 Antibacterial Lemon All-Purpose Cleaner:

Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
Dye
Nonionic and cationic surfactants
Solvents
n-Propoxypropanol
Monoethanolamine (MEA) (can cause burns to eyes and skin)
Ethylene glycol butyl ether (EGBE)
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 02:15 pm
@contrex,
Thanks Contrex.

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 02:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
thoose are all types of water based detergents, an alcohol and an amine wetting agent.The rules of MSDS is that when they use a term "solvents" it is only spelledout if its substantially different from those used to react the detergents. SO, in this case the "solvent" is probably water. 409, from the MSDS, isnt even close to methylene chloride stripper
0 Replies

shagydeep

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 04:46 am
@contrex,
Yeah that's a big figure and in Bhopal India in that gas leak their are around 4000 people died in that.
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 09:11 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
many handymen deaths from "heart attacks" were really being overcome by Methylene Chloride. It acts by glooming onto oxygen in the blood and this starves the circulatory system of O2 and the heart works harder until a fatal attack.

All those other paintbstrippers dont work nearly as ell as Methylene Cl. #M tried making that water based stripper from complex esters and it works kinda half assed.
I do a lot pf stripping on shutters and some antiques that I try to gussy up (like old oaken ice boxes that were painted white enamel. ALWAY the big must is for ventilation and a carbon filter mask (even though youll only get about 50% of the meth because its a polar compound and doesnt adsorb easily)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 09:13 am
@shagydeep,
that was mostly caused by really shitty management at the plant. We make the same **** over here and nobody dies
0 Replies