Is it wrong to be self-centered?

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:58 pm
Relative wrote:
"Job market for example....Does the kill or be killed thing work there? Or do you have more sass?"

I don't kill my employers, nor do they kill me, usually Smile

Again with the sass??? If we were buds, I'd probably boss you around, but I'm not that way with everyone. I just always have at least one goon that will do my bidding. What are you 3..4 hundred pounds? Could be a good goon.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:00 pm
Eh, looks like you killed me Wink
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
Relative wrote:
Eh, looks like you killed me Wink

Nah, not yet, maybe just a nutcheck or something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:30 pm
We gotta be self-centered, because what you think exists outside yourself are all illusionary. Wink
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:27 am
And this is what is wrong with the world. The majority think of how something is going to hinder them instead of doing it to help another out. It is wrong to think only of yourself.

And just because everyone says it is right doesn't make it so.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
Of course in moderation, being self-centered is not a bad thing, but at the extremes, it matters. Isn't it nobler to be a Ghandi than to be a Saddam Hussein?

I realize, Individual, that we are stretching your original definition here, but if you extend your definition to it's logical end, this is the problem that you end up with.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:49 am
kickycan- IMO, Saddam Hussein is a prime example of a SELFLESS individual. Having NO core of self, he gained his sense of worth through the control of others.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:17 am
Child of the Light wrote:
There are 2 types of people.....the ones that get walked over, and the ones that do the walking. It's killed or be killed, so why not focus on yourself?

Actually, there are three types of people in the world. Those who can count -- and those who can't.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:21 am
Quote:
There are 2 types of people.....the ones that get walked over, and the ones that do the walking. It's killed or be killed, so why not focus on yourself?

I disagree. I believe that there are 4 types of people. Those who get walked over, those who walk over people, those who walk side by side with other people, and those who walk alone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:53 am
Phoenix, Very good! Maybe we need to look for that fifth dimension. LOL
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 01:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
kickycan- IMO, Saddam Hussein is a prime example of a SELFLESS individual. Having NO core of self, he gained his sense of worth through the control of others.

It should be Less Self. Selfless is not defined as having no core of self.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:06 pm
BlueMonkey, There are many on this planet that has little or no self-esteem. How should they be "less self?"
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:28 pm
At the level of ordinary language the answer to the question is "yes". This assumes that "moral issues" concern our behaviour towards others and "selfishness" obviously attracts a negative value judgement.

However we might then consider the debates about the origin and status of ethical categories (for exmple whether they are local or universal) the nature of "self perception" and even the existential status of "self" (for example, in terms of constancy).

The irony is that at the end of the day we have to "live with ourselves" but that is itself a form of egocentricity!
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BlueMonkey, There are many on this planet that has little or no self-esteem. How should they be "less self?"

Not my problem.

Selfless- means concerned for others and not for one's own advantage, pleasure, comfort etc.

Way better than the definition for Self Centered.

What everyone wants is to change a word from bad to good. I don't know where that is going to get you, but it isn't going to get you in the history books.

The better word that everyone is trying to come up with through Self Centered is Self-satisfied which is having or showing self satisfaction.

Or you are all looking for this one self-seeker who is a person who puts his own advantage above other considerations. Which is exactly what is being described here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:56 pm
BlueMonkey, Before you start preaching to me, you should know who you are talking to. It's very evident to me you know nothing about me. c.i.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:08 am
C.I.

Monkeys throw crap. He can't help himself.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:25 am
What happens when you like being nice to people? Then aren't you providing pleasure for yourself by helping other people? Time to break out the hair shirt I guess....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 06:29 am
rufio- Absolutely- Many people find great personal satisfaction in helping others, but it is the motivation that is important. In my estimation, a person who delights in sharing what they know with others is doing a positive thing. If, on the other hand, the person helps others in order to achieve a feeling of superiority over the other person, is an entirely different situation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:57 am
My philosophy as a manager has always been to help people achieve their maximum potential. After I hire them, I ask them how I can help them achieve their goal; to help pay to further their education or skills - even if it meant we would eventually lose that employee. When an employee came to me with a problem, I would ask him/her how they would solve the problem. I found that in the majority of time, they had the correct answer. If they could not provide any solution, I would offer several options, and ask them to pick one, and why they picked that solution out of the others offered.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
CI, where do you work?
0 Replies