Is it wrong to be self-centered?

vikorr

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:13 pm
@JLNobody,
Life would be very sad if we never received a helping hand from another person.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:21 pm
@vikorr,
And visa-versa, if we couldn't help our fellow brothers and sisters all over the world.
vikorr

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
absolutely - what goes one way, should go both Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:40 pm
Quote:
Is it wrong to be self-centered?

Yes, it is . . .

But if you send me large sums of money, i would be disposed to forgive you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:45 pm
@Setanta,
Set, Greed will get you nowhere. I would forgive for just a few hundred bucks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:45 pm
Back off, CI . . . i thought of this dodge first . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:37 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Life would be very sad if we never received a helping hand from another person.

Sometimes extending a helping hand can be risky/ has been risky;
e.g., picking up hitchhikers (tho I have picked up hitchhikerettes).
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't think we think about "risk" when we help others. I have been giving to second harvest food bank and habitat for humanities for many years. Additionally, I have given to schools in many third world countries. I have also worked as the neighborhood coordinator for the Cancer Society.

0 Replies

requiredrequiem

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 02:47 pm
@Individual,
well actually the point was selflessness is impossible. sure your trying to make others happy but why are you really doing it? if you say so they'll like you, then there you go, you did it for the selfish purpose of widening your social following or fan base. if you said to make them happy because it makes you happy then you are also doing it for yourself to keep your self from experiencing pain. the reason christs death is considered selfless is because he truly felt pain in his final hours.
0 Replies

hence

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:09 pm
@Individual,
depends on your defintion of wrong.
the thinking of weaker intellects will group togather and use morals to pressure and force others to submit to their vaule system and i might also say this is done on an unaware level of mind, the powerful intellect usealy is outcast or as a result of outcaust they gravitate to intellectualism. then in later years finds homes to intellectualism and froms a group to pressure the more unsophistached one into their system of vaules. the intellectual fight back with methods that are far more effective then the use of barbaic force. the whole of things in a moral decline if i may chage the subject, is the use of power to influnice the others into submission, this is an act of war by the means of politics, and politics as the means of gaining power, power in the form of self esteem actual mechinal power, the senation of revenge and the demolishing of the other forces etc. just a war without arms and with arms.

it might had had a effect on your ego or sense of self to be called selfish or egotism.
but what are the reason they are calling you selfish because they want you to conform to their perception of realitly and to serve them, alutrism seems to be another but weaker from of selfishness. but who gains? it is not wrong to gain anything from encounters, sometimes you work within a groupe if they are muttaly benficial to you and sometimes you depart etc etc etc...
0 Replies