pixel51

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:53 pm
Powder Blue originally meant cobalt blue. At some point it came to refer to a light blue. When did that happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,517 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:33 am
@pixel51,
It happened during the McCarthy Era. To be specific, July 11, 1951.

Seriously you can see a definition on Wikipedia of the differences between cobalt and powder blue. If you want to accept Wikipedia's explanation, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_blue
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 05:05 pm
@Ragman,
Aren't you thinking of "pinko"?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 05:11 pm
Without checking google, scouts honor, what is the inspiration for "Alice Blue"?
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 07:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
scouts honor,

Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:14 am
The color referred to as "Alice Blue", referred to the color Teddy Roosevelt's daughter often chose for at least one of her gowns. It became the shade of blue sought after by the wives and daughters of Washington's prominent men. Society Pages were mesmerized by Alice, and her escapades. President Roosevelt was quoted saying, "I can run the country or control Alice, I just can't do both". I'm not sure if that is word for word correct, but that was the essence of his remark. I'm currently planted in a hospital waiting room and didn't bring the "Bartlettes". I'll check when I get home.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 08:53 am
According to the biography of Roosevelt that i read most recently, he was at a White House reception when the Chief Justice said to him: "Mr. President, you have got to do something about Alice!" He never liked anyone talking about his family, so the sotry goes that he rounded on the Chief Justice, got in his face and sait: "I can do one of two things. I can be President of the United States or I can do something about Alice. I can't do both."

Shortly after he left Harvard, where he had met Alice Lee, he married the woman who would always be his greatest love. Shortly after his daughter, Alice Lee Roosevelt, was born, both his mother and his wife died, within an hour of one another. Roosevelt was devastated, and would never allow Alice Lee to be mentioned in his presence. His daughter was known as "Baby Lee" or just Lee until he became a public figure and it was impossible to avoid the mention of her name. He went out west and became a cattle rancher, and his sister Anna, known as "Bamie" (a shortening of Bambina) or Bye, raised "Baby Lee." So, she became somewhat of a wild child. She smoked in public and stayed out all night drinking with "the boys." Later, she was married off to a promising young Republican named Longford, but her character had not changed. My favorite bon mot of "Alice Blue Gown" is:

If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come over here and sit by me.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 09:27 am
I read "Alice Roosevelt Longworth", again sorry book is at home. She was also infamous for riding horseback thru Washington with her crew of in your face non-conformists and it became a social coup if the midnight horse party arrived at some lucky souls house. She was a fixture in Washington for many years far into old age and was still courted for favor by young politicos. Alice was a trip.
0 Replies