a breath of = a decision of?

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:55 am

Context:

The broad foundation upon which our Constitution rests being the people--a breath of theirs having made, as a breath can unmake, change, or modify it--it can be assigned to none of the great divisions of government but to that of democracy. If such is its theory, those who are called upon to administer it must recognize as its leading principle the duty of shaping their measures so as to produce the greatest good to the greatest number. But with these broad admissions, if we would compare the sovereignty acknowledged to exist in the mass of our people with the power claimed by other sovereignties, even by those which have been considered most purely democratic, we shall find a most essential difference.

Read more at the American Presidency Project: www.presidency.ucsb.edu http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25813#ixzz1n79mqEZk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 950 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:07 am
@oristarA,
That is one really convoluted sentence and IMO a very poorly written paragraph.

This is not clear to me so others may disagree, but my interpretation is that "breath" here means "slightest effort of will". Breathing is an insignificant effort for most people so I read this as saying with the slightest collective effort, the people created the democracy upon which the Constitution is based and with the slightest effort they can unmake it or change it. (Change and modify are redundant in that sentence.)
roger

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 12:34 pm
@engineer,
Since I have no clue, I'll accept the explanation.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 02:36 pm
I wonder if Harrison wrote that himself, or if he had a speechwriter.

He is using "a breath" figuratively, as in "voice" or "will": By the people's voice, or by the people's will. It seems biblically inspired. By God's mere utterance, "Let there be. . ." the world came into existence. You can interpret it to mean "decision of."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 02:33 am
Thank you all.

Lincoln's inaugural speeches would be much easier to understand comparing to this.
0 Replies