Romaine

gollum

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:40 pm
Someone told me that romaine salads are healthy. Someone else said that the darker green the leaves are, the healthier. But at least where I buy salad the romaine looks mostly light green.

Which is the healthiest salad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,094 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:19 pm
@gollum,
The Body Ecology Guide to the Ten Healthiest Greens

Healthy Salad Greens: New Options To Power Up Your Salad

Simple Steps to a Healthier Salad

Healthiest Salad Ingredients

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:25 pm
@gollum,
The darker green it is the more nutrients it contains. Romaine is fine but Green Leaf is probably better. If you like Spinach it is even better as a salad. Just make sure you wash whatever you eat thoroughly.
gollum

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:47 pm
@mismi,
Thank you. However, I buy the salad at a restaurant. I hope it washes the salads.
mismi

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:08 pm
@gollum,
I am sure it does. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:30 pm
Romaine is greener than iceberg lettuce but iceberg is having some kind of (to me, spooky) renaissance. A lot of people shun darker greens because of bitterness. I don't understand them since I like bitter greens, but we all have differing palates, and generally, those darker greens are better for you. I have been surprised by friends finding swiss chard/silverbeet too bitter.

Grilled romaine, that can be delicious with a blue cheese sauce (best 'on the side', so it is not drowned in it).

A bunch of us at a2k like kale, some preferring it cooked, and some not liking it cooked.

But dark green doesn't always hold - cabbage is good, and not particularly dark green.

My view, eat vegetables, try them cooked in different ways, have fun with it.
0 Replies