Potato salads.. you tell me yours

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 02:50 pm
An article in the LA Times about potato salads at different restaurants around town prompts me to try to re-do my own 'best' one of these days. I rarely make it the same way twice, and haven't made it at all lately.

Here's the LAT article -

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-dishtogo18-2008jun18,0,3458569.story

My old favorite in memory - it was a felicitous combo of just right cooked/chilled red boiling potatoes (lots), a couple of blue potatoes, also boiled but not mushy, some fat delicious green olives, some sweet red pepper, (what else, can't remember, likely a fat handful of fresh chopped basil), and a dressing of good olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper... Don't think I added tomatoes (what with the bruschetta..)

I think I'd do garden tomatoes on the side.. and now I might add thin sliced sweet onion, but that would be a different salad. That one of memory was pretty simple.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,664 • Replies: 48
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
#1 hot vs. cold?

#2 vinegary vs. mayo-ey?

~~~

small red potatoes
served warm
vinegar
mustard
bitta sugar
bacon
capers
dill or dill seed

sometimes onions sauteed in bacon fat

~~~

I generally prefer warm and vinegary vs cold and mayo-based, but there's a place for all kinds of potato salad in my life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:02 pm
Me too, prefer vinegary but also like mayonaisey. I've a problem with bits of hard boiled egg thrown in, a personal phobia with no rational basis.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:06 pm
I'm not a big fan of egg bits in potato salad, but I'm always overjoyed when someone brings devilled eggs to an office potluck. Weird that. I won't make them, but I will try to get one off the platter.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:09 pm
No eggs, no mustard. Miracle Whip is better than mayo. Maybe chopped onion to add a bit of crunch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:12 pm
If I were a serious foodie I'd make my own mayo, but that's a border I don't often cross.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:16 pm
basic mayo potato salad for me

when i make the dressing i add the yolks of a couple of hard boiled eggs and sweet pickle juice to the mayo, gives a nice colour and texture (a little dry mustard is also nice)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:18 pm
I've talked about this before (perhaps too often), but for a potluck many years ago we said we'd basically provide meat (fish stuffed with rice and oranges, spicy grilled chicken thighs, and some beef thing I don't recall) and dessert (homemade apple crepes and fruit) and asked guests to bring a salad that reflected their background/family/childhood. Six different potato salads arrived - every one different - every one good.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:26 pm
I like this recipe - it is very yummy - though not traditional

1 TBSP Parsley chopped
2 C. Mayo
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 envelope Hidden Valley Dressing Mix
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. prepared mustard
8 large red potatoes, boiled but not mushy and cubed
4 eggs hard cooked and chopped

Mix all ingredients except potatoes and eggs. Pour the mixture over potatoes and eggs and toss. Serve immediately or chill.

I add, celery, green peppers, and green onions sometimes....but it is wonderful just with the ingredients from the recipe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:27 pm
That japanese one in the article interested me - both creamy and with rice vinegar...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
any kind of potatoes, boiled eggs, lots of onion, green pepper, and some celery for crunch, mayonnaise, some mustard (for color and twang), salt and pepper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:40 pm
I shoulda done a poll.... mayo, miracle whip, vinegar, oil, eggs, no eggs, mustard, no mustard.. yes and no to onions, yes and no to celery..

No one's mentioned carrots, but that japanese potato salad had them and cucumbers, I think.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:47 pm
Roger, this is the first time I've seen someone express a preference for Miracle Whip (I love it) and not get booed off the stage!

My mom made her own mayo. Sometimes she used lemon juice for the acid and sometimes vinegar. I much preferred the ones with vinegar -- it was tarter. I think that's why I prefer MW to mayo.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:56 pm
I loved Miracle Whip, remember it's debut and used it for many, many years but then i got married and my hubby doesn't like it at all so it became one of those major sacrifices we have to make when combining households. I let go of the MW.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:33 pm
potato salad a la mrs hamburger - i will help , though

potatoes
sliced , hard-boiled eggs
1/2 sourcream + 1/2 salad dressing
some hot french mustard ( but NOT french's !!!)
sometimes a few diced sweet pickles
whatever herbs we have in the garden : parley , dill , basil ... ...

hot bacon crumble , if available and salad is to be served warm

stir lightly , cover and put in fridge for an hour

serve with whatever on hand : from panfried fish to porkchops and even leftover chicken or pork-roast
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:35 pm
I made my own mayo a few times, really good, but then one rainy day in november I tried and failed and tried and failed, and tried and failed and basically whirred to me expensive olive oil not to mention eggs for nothing. I've never been able to afford that.. I'm not clear if it working is barometer related or not. Yes, yes, I know, drip the oil slowly...

One writer skips all that. Makes mayo in a dish, hand whipping. Thorne? I've only seen photocopies of his stuff.

in any case, now I'd never make mayonaise in LA in November, whatever the science. Probably an old wife thing.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:55 pm
How about method? I pick potatoes of generally the same size and boil them in their skins 'til a fork penetrates but they're not real soft. Then drain and set aside until they're cool enough to handle. The skins slip off easily under running water -- way easier than peeling them!

Then I cut them into cubish shapes and begin to dump the other ingredients in...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
I just keep the skins on my red potatoes. I like them...that is really easy!
hamburger, that sounds like a great recipe...printed it off plan on using that soon. Thanks!

Though upon review...what do you mean salad dressing?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:58 pm
i'm not 100% sure, but he might mean this

http://www.bestdeal.org/Merchant2/graphics/00000010/salad%20cream%20bottle.jpg
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:12 pm
Here's a Brazilian Potato Salad recipe (or a Maionese Recipe to use their term for it). As long as none of the below are overcooked it has a nice texture and less oily taste.

Ingredients

5 potatoes
2 carrots
200 g of green beans
1/2 cup of frozen green peas
10 olives
1 can of hearts of palm
1 jar of mayonnaise (add to taste and texture, shouldn't be too mayonnaisey).
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of very finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation

Boil the potatoes with salt
Peel the carrots, cut them into small (as they would come in mixed vegetable cans) pieces and boil them in water and salt.
Chop the green beans into small pieces and boil them in water and salt.
Boil the green peas in water and salt.
Drain the can of palm hearts and cut them into small pieces.
Once all vegetables are cooked, drain the water: allow them to cool down and save them for later.
Peel the cooked potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
Mix all the ingredients very well while adding mayonnaise. It should not end up with any mayonnaise lumps or excessive mayonnaise.
Place in a covered container in the fridge for 2 hours.

One thing I liked to do when I made this years ago is make my own mayo with boiled eggs instead of raw eggs (and add the olive oil, onions and parsley to the mayo instead of the other ingredients). It requires less oil to thicken that way and the grainy texture isn't a downside when it's in a potato salad.
0 Replies