Not your usual salad- suggestions?

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:22 am
I'm looking for suggestions for interesting combinations in salads- I'm sick of the typical garden salad, and would love advice on different ingredients, or spices to jazz things up. Any suggestions on dressings would be good too- something fairly healthy.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,369 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:19 am
Hi strawberry333!!!

I make a nice salad (about once a year - diary permitting) in which I put pasta but you can have it without. As follows;

get some nice herby salad leaves, lightly brown some pine nuts in a frying pan and add these. Finely chop some beetroot and cucumber. Add this.

Add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Toss with a garlic, olive oil, basil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

Very tasty.

x
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:37 am
Since you're calling yourself strawberry, I assume you like them.

Take a cup of diced strawberries and mix them with cooked asparagus tips,
and sprinkle with a bit the juice of an orange. Tastes great!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:54 am
Here's a savoury one that's a sizzler.

Make a green leaf salad, add lots of cherry tomatoes. Add French dressing and toss well.

Slice some bacon into really thin strips, put a little olive oil into a frying pan, and sizzle bacon until well done.

Pour bacon strips and juices over salad, and toss again.

Eat whilst warm.

Mmmmmm.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:22 am
Dried cranberries and walnuts. Yum.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:34 am
fairly simple

boston lettuce, mandarin orange slices, pine nuts

make dressing with mayonaise (not miracle whip), thinned with orange juice, add some poppy seeds for appearance and texture
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 11:59 am
(Reading with interest and taking notes!)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
A Week's Worth of Salads, plus a couple more.
Fresh pear & dried date slices with dark greens, a bit of blue cheese & an Italian dressing, possibly with a bit of sweetness.

Sesame-ginger dressing marinade on cooked chicken, then mixed with greens/cabbage & the various bits you'd find in a chop suey... slivers of onion, almonds or cashews, sugar peas, celery.

Small grilled crab cakes put hot on greens mixed with red onion, oil & vinegar... good tartar sauce on the side.

Spicy marinaded grilled shrimp over the same.

Fresh spinach, hard-cooked eggs, tomatoes, onion and a sweet-sour dressing. Bacon good, too, or leftover chicken.

Red potatoes cooked, cubed or sliced, tossed in a savory dressing with onion, celery, parsley, even spinach if you like, and served hot. Bacon or ham bits, work, too.

Roasted balsamic onions served hot or cold on greens with sliced apples & walnuts. The Barefoot Contessa has a simple recipe for those onions & this salad.

Baba Ghanoush (roasted eggplant mixed with tahini, garlic, lemon, parsley & green onions) with olive oil, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers & served cold with toasted pitas.

Tabouli (cooked bulgur wheat) with vegies similar to the Baba Ghanoush -- tomatoes, onions, broccoli, garlic, parsley and lemon juice.

3-4 small cans of beans (greenyellowkidneylimagarbanzo) drained, marinated in a savory dressing, then tossed & chilled with boiled eggs, onion, celery, sweet peppers and pickles. Marinating canned vegies is something I learned from Emeril. It really improves the flavor, even for soups.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:10 pm
Thanks!
Yum guys! I'm printing out this page as we speak. It's interesting what combos you would never imagine putting together that taste amazing- I'm curious about the asparagus and strawberries- I'm going to try that this weekend!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:42 pm
Lamb's Lettuce
(manche)

- 300 g (about 5 oz) lamb's lettuce
- two pealed and sectioned oranges
- one mango (if you like, or some other fruit, I use apples because I don't like mango :wink: )
- about ten walnuts
- some sclices of (smoked) ham or duck breast (that's "Frenchy")

Vinigrettte from walnut oil, grape seed oil (one part both), two parts of (good!) balsamico, honey to sweeten

Mix the sliced fruits and add the vinigrette.

Add the lamb's lettuce and the walnuts at the last minute; toss; garnish with the slices of the ham/duck breast.

Then
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:55 pm
Never take advice from a man who doesn't like mangos.

But seriously...

I like to add sliced almonds, golden raisins, and thin strips of apple (keep
them in water until the last minute to avoid "rust").
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:03 pm
Some drops of lemon juice do it, too (that's re apples).

****, george ****** & ******* mango!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Some drops of lemon juice do it, too (that's re apples).

****, george ****** & ******* mango!

Yeah, I hear that all the time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
Roasted/peeled red and/or yellow peppers, diced
english (seedless) cucumbers, diced
tomatoes, diced
red onion, thinly sliced
kalamata olives, slivered
fresh basil, chiffonade
feta cheese, crumbled

dressing: juice of 1/2 lemon, 3Tbs red wine vinegar, 1tsp dijon-style mustard, 1/2tsp sugar, dash salt, freshly ground pepper, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil.

Toss all of the salad ingredients together gently and just enough dressing to coat (it's easier to toss them before adding the feta and then lightly mix in the cheese).

Note: there are no greens in this salad. The remaining dressing can be used as a marinade for boneless, skinless chicken which, when grilled, goes perfectly with the salad.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:30 pm
I like salads mixed with fruits.

Fenchel with Orange slices, dressing: olive oil and grated orange skin
(Fenchel is a natural appetite supressant)

Sauerkraut with Pineapple pieces, dressing: mix juice of pineapple with
some honey.

Cooked lentils with diced tomatoes and cilantro, dressing: olive oil and
plain vinegar.

Chick peas with roasted,diced red peppers, and lots of crushed garlic dressing: olive oil.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:48 pm
I looked up fenchel, and it's what some of us call fennel - one of my favorite foods.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
i was wondering about that
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
Oh, so sorry http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/shame.gif Fenchel is German, and of course it is Fennel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:25 pm
Annoyingly, many grocery stores in California and in New Mexico call fennel - anise. What they are calling anise is fennel.. anise is another plant entirely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:46 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anise
0 Replies